UKBouldering.com

The tube Peak District (Read 2840 times)

Nathan1990

• regular
The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 12:18:43 pm
Went to the tube in peaks this Saturday spent 3 hours walking looking for the bloody thing and still got nowhere close. If there is anyone who lives near by or knows how to get to it could you describe or possibly show me how to get to the bouldering

Thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 12:31:12 pm

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#2 Re: The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 01:04:05 pm
Directions from the developer:

I usually park in Stanshope, and then follow the path into Hall Dale through a couple of fields. Once over the last wall, I turn left and go up the steep slope formed by the side of the valley, right to the top by the wall. Now follow the wall along (passing two gates) to where a short barbed wire fence leaves the wall, and goes diagonally towards you, down the hill. Walk between the end of this and a small rocky knoll, heading down the hill. The cave is pretty much directly beneath this knoll - just where the bushes and trees start.

When at the cave, you can get down to the main path again by going straight down the steep scree bank (This might form an easier approach when you know exactly where to go up) - but I prefer to go back the same way.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 01:44:21 pm
it's an overgrown nightmare when you get there don't go

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#4 Re: The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 02:01:09 pm

We had a good session here a couple of weeks ago.

It is hard to find, probably took us a good 30mins once we got to the "rocky knoll". Some points about the guide directions. The path that stays on the right of the river is left of the toilets and has a sign saying something like "difficult to pass in wet conditions".

From the rocky knoll it's still a mission to find the tube. If you stand on the rocky knoll and look directly at Illam rock I'd say the tube is at about 2 or 3 o'clock, maybe 50m away down the hill side. There is a clear (no nettles) way down from directly above the tube but that way is nearly impossible to find. we walked down and could just about see (i.e. 3 people only 1 of us recognized it) the tube when level with it, once we could see it we walked around to above it and down, I remember there was knarled dead tree nearish where we went down but doubt that information will help you find it. Expect it to take ages.

Lots of nettles but easily flattened down with bouldering pads.

EDIT: Some notes on the video. Doug Hnuts is about 6c/+ with this beta. This is not the original sequence on Dawn Raider, but is perhaps more logical. The original sequence stays lower  and goes left more - and includes some awesome moves to get back to the lip, video of this sequence [IMG=http://youtu.be/Q5c-dcoG7cM]http://online[/img]. The orignal way is harder than my way.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:08:54 pm by highrepute »

Nathan1990

• regular
#5 Re: The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 03:03:48 pm
I did get to the bottom were the two paths meet and the river heads off but I just couldn't see were to go. I did try and go up the side of the hill were the rocks are but got half way up and gave up.

If anyone of up for meeting up and we can have a look that would be amazing.

Nathan

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 Re: The tube Peak District
July 22, 2013, 11:16:57 pm
It's only a short way below the top of the hill. You can't see it from the bottom. Assuming you have reached the rocky knoll, this description is probably about the best you'll get:

If you stand on the rocky knoll and look directly at Illam rock I'd say the tube is at about 2 or 3 o'clock, maybe 50m away down the hill side.

But if you can find someone to show you, that would be easiest. Good luck!

Nice vid, James.

Fadanoid

• addict
#7 Re: The tube Peak District
May 28, 2014, 08:46:43 am
My question for this was going to be 'How is this place after rain?'

But I'm now concerned about being able to get to the place. Has anyone been recently and know if the paths are visible? On the off chance of anyone else fancying a look tomorrow night, let me know if you want to meet up and slag off the guide book approach details together.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal