UKBouldering.com

Go to the Isle of Man, no really, like now (Read 5728 times)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
I have just come back from a short working visit to the IOM. While I was there me and my colleague out climbing with Dougie Hall, Legend and incredibly nice bloke. The potential for sea cliff new routing over there is simply unbelievable. I'd be prepared to bet there were some brilliant deep water soloing venues and it it in general an all-round top place.
OK I admit we saw it at its very best.
Glorious sunshine and gentle sea breezes (apparently it can get quite wet on small islands in the middle of the Irish Sea). But most importantly huge potential for the adventurous.
So this is less of a thread and more of an exhortation to the brave and the bold to get to perhaps Britain's last great unclimbed sea cliffs.
The stuff that's already been climbed is is bloody good too.

nik at work

• forum hero
Bloody hell Joe would you please shut up  :)

Actually he's right, it is brilliant. I move there in a couple of weeks so this summer is going to be pretty busy but I have been thinking about trying to generate some sort of enthusiasm for a "meet" (along the lines of the Annual Irish Meet) over there probably next summer-ish. So I guess this is less thinking about it, and more the birth of the plan. Joe I'll pencil you in for a spot, and if anyone else is interested in the idea let me know. Also if anyone fancies a dabble between now and then give me a shout (Fiend I know you're keen, maybe late summer/early autumn?).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I would come.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
will you have a similar amount of space for visiting climbers available in your new place, Nik?

when I saw the thread title, I thought it was Nik At Work posting

nik at work

• forum hero
I would come.
Excellent.

Lagers I'm afraid the accommodation will be less spacious than my current arrangements, however I'm sure I'll be able to provide something comfortable if bijou.

dave

I'd be up for going to IOM. Shortie always bangs on about it (she went a few times as a kid) but says its $$$ to get over there. Whats the crack travelwise?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The last two times I went, I travelled gratis in my schoolfriend's tax-dodging father's private plane. Nice views of Snowdonia...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
if I had a decent accountant I'd offer you all a lift

if we promote ourselves as a mainly heterosexulal group will we get financial incentives from the previously-homophobic government?

nik at work

• forum hero
Getting there is a bit spenny. Flying varires but is probably about £80-£150 return from Blackpool (unless you have a private jet owning chum...). The boat is the cheapest option. There are "fast" seacats from Liverpool (takes ~2.5hrs) and the slow boat from Heysham (~4hrs).
Cost for a car with two people is usually about £200-£250 but there are seasonal variations (TT week you can double that price). Not sure how much more it would be to have a car full, but it may not work out much more expensive than 4 foot passenger tickets and you'd have a car.
Going as a foot passenger is the cheapest option, about £50 return last time I went I think (and you can take a bike over for free as a foot passenger). The problem can be getting to Heysham as a foot passenger would mean leaving your car at the port (expensive parking) although I think you can get the train there, obvioulsy Liverpool is easier to get to.
Having a car isn't essential (especially if you have a bike to help you get around) but it makes life a lot easier as ever. Obviously I'd be happy to collect people from port/airport and show them around and such like as much as possible (and we'll have a spare room), and I'm sure Doug would be equally willing to do the same.
Anyway pencil it in your diaries, for summer-ish next year. If people can make an expression of interest I'll get an idea of numbers and look into options for accommodation and such like. And as I said above if anyone fancies a trip over before then just give me a shout.

Ferries:
http://www.steam-packet.com/
Just had a quick look at a booking for 4 and a car in a random week in sept. W/end - w/end is about £350, but if you can go midweek to midweek that drops to £260, so ~£65 per person

Flights:
http://www.citywing.com/

JB when you went over did you do any climbing? I also think I heard  that El Mocho went over at some point. It would be good to try and get some details if you did do any climbing/new routes. As well as being massively under-developed it is also poorly documented and it would be good to try and sort that in some form (online info, guidebook?!?) as much as possible.

dave

The last two times I went, I travelled gratis in my schoolfriend's tax-dodging father's private plane. Nice views of Snowdonia...

Air Trashbat yeah?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I have just come back from a short working visit to the IOM.

I'm surprised they let you in.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Yeah Nik, I'm obviously up return visit, and I love the idea of a meet type thing; perhaps divi up the crag inspections / route cleaning / belay creation etc. so we can all get some of the established climbs done too.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
but it may not work out much more expensive than 4 foot passenger tickets
Homophobic & heightist, sounds like a lovely place.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal