UKBouldering.com

Fish and Chips (Read 12332 times)

underground

• forum hero
Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 01:13:48 am
Having had a 'one to avoid' earlier, let's have a Fish and Chip thread... such a fab thing, but so often shit... I'm trying to turn the rant lever off as I type... tonight's culprits will be revealed last....

So, kicking things off:

Village Fisheries, Sheffield Rd., Dronfield just a place I've been tempted into for a 'working from home treat' for me and the Mrs. - reasonable price for a good lot of chips, little fish and a lunchtime sized pot of peas/curry/gravy depending on how you were brought up... Quality wise - excellent. Not greasy, fish has proper crispy batter, chips are mega. The polystyrene pot contents are as per drills.... Still hot when home.

The Jolly Frier, Egerton Rd, Dronfield a tiny little place, must have been doing F&C for years.... But can still utterly fuck it up by cooking them in cold melted fat. Major disappointment, chips floppy and shit, everything dripping in grease that solidifies on every solid surface. Avoid.

Poseidon Fish Bar, Abbey Lane, S8 Awesome. Proper mega chips, gigantic fish, polystyrene pots as per drills but loads in them. Contender for my best F&C shop....

Admiral, High Street, Mosborough
Used to be my regular when I lived away from the yard - but well worth a mention. Everything that Poseidon had, but bigger portions, hotter food, friendly lovely staff, and some characters in the queue. The best fish and chip shop I've been to in a long while....

Greenhill Fisheries, School Lane, S8
Worst till last.... this place use to be Dixons, and they were one of the last bastions of fish and chippery, as far as my parents were concerned...
Well, whoever's taken it on is a money man, not a food man... As a 'first time in my life' I bought a bag of chips to go with the kids junk food Friday dinner treat, cos we'd run out of oven chips... Fuck me - first of all, I handed over a pound in exchange for what seemed like a pouch of tobacco.....

Brought home. Normally the kids don't eat all their chips anyway.. I might snaffle a couple out of the oven - nope, daren't in case there are too few... We end up with a 5 an a 9 year old saying 'these are shit chips, we're not eating this daddy' and as Grace pointed out, the little bits weren't even crispy...  Normally, me and the mrs are back from work, hungry and quite happily cane nuff leftover beans, chips, fish, whatever the bin lids have requested as their Friday nosh...

Tonight... limp, slightly undercooked chips, which tasted of old fat.... stale, frankly. And there's no way the chips got that brown but stayed so shit. I reckon they serve yesterdays crap... and basically don't give a fuck. Cunts.

dave

#1 Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 07:59:09 am
Elliots, tideswell: best chippy in the peak, and unlike the stoney chippy, it's actually open when you leave the tor of an evening.

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 08:42:50 am
I love the little one hidden in Castleton perfect if you decided to mix your day's climbing with the purchasing of small items of plastic jewelry.

I had a sublime battered sausage once in Bakewell.

Hydraulic Man

• player
#3 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 10:43:43 am
The one in Bradwell is well regarded locally and is decent value.

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 11:01:54 am
 :oops:
Elliots, tideswell: best chippy in the peak, and unlike the stoney chippy, it's actually open when you leave the tor of an evening.
totally agree David. Miserable fucker though

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#5 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 11:13:58 am
Oh but surely on this forum we're not allowed to like fast food / junk food even though it bloody obviously has a time and place  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bellends ("them", NOT you, underground and other repliers on this fine thread)

The one in Ullapool is mighty fine.

The one in Aviemore just before the station is good, nice fishcakes.

My knowledge of reliable chippies in Scottish cities is somewhat lacking, although the general trend to do two small slices of fish instead of one big one is pretty pleasing. The best I've found in Glasgow is on the High Street, just up from the weird clocktower junction.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 01:21:33 pm
Dear oh dear Fiend. You're really trying to lump the great British tradition of fish and chips in with McShit? There really is no hope....

Anyway. I second underground on the nod to Poseidon on Abbey Lane.

We always used to go to the Phoenix Fish Bar (opposite The Big Tree) since moving to Woodseats. Always very good and better than Woodseats Fisheries across the road (which itself is far from shit, spoilt for choice).

However, my Mum suggested Poseidon once and we've been going there since. The portions really are ridiculous which makes it good value and the quality has always been exceptional.

dave

#7 Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 04:03:03 pm
:oops:
totally agree David. Miserable fucker though

I've always found that bloke to be dead sound, especially when he starts to recognise you and get a bit of banter going.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 04:33:57 pm

Anyway. I second underground on the nod to Poseidon on Abbey Lane.

The portions really are ridiculous which makes it good value and the quality has always been exceptional.

with the added bonus that it's open seven days, if you ever have a Sunday redpoint to celebrate.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 08:21:45 pm
The few times I've had a chippy tea in Sheff when over at Johhny Browns gaff, have always gone to the ranmoor friery which has been excellent. not been for a while tho

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#10 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 08:25:52 pm
Huddersfield is appalling for chippies however if you are in holmfirth they have two great ones

Compos cafe
Named after the last of the summer wine character.
Totally brilliant, great portion size. Maybe a little pricey

The one in the centre of holmfirth is great too bit cheaper but not quite as good as compos

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 09:02:08 pm
Northumberland seems the most reliable area for chippies. The ones in Belford and Woller are both good.
I don't know the name of it but the one south of the town centre in Skipton is excellent and a good call post Kilnsey/Crookrise/Rylstone.  :thumbsup: to Dobbin for that one.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 09:18:01 pm
Dundee fisheries, South end of Chanterlands Ave, Hull.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 09:22:00 pm
Derbyshire Lane Fish Shop is usually excellent. Tasty fish with minimal grease.  You often have to queue.

leeroy

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 09:24:26 pm

if you catch the stoney one open its well worth a visit, shame it opens just after lunch and closes just as you get hungry.

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Fish and Chips
June 29, 2013, 09:57:11 pm
I went to a cracking chipper in Brae on Shetland last Monday. It's frequently best in Scotland. They don't do delivery outside of Shetland though, shame.

dave

#16 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 09:42:15 am

if you catch the stoney one open its well worth a visit, shame it opens just after lunch and closes just as you get hungry.

TO be honest whilst its good I don't think its any better than the tideswell one.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#17 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 11:46:57 am
For anyone popping to the Roaches wanting a chippy supper should head to George's on Burton street in Leek. Good through-put so food is always fresh, and pretty much open 'till sun down most days.

Nigel

• forum hero
#18 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 02:24:50 pm
A subject very close to my heart! Must say that I always find Sheff chippies underwhelming, so will have to check out this Poseidon's tip, cheers for that. Other than that Tideswell one gets another vote, brilliant stuff. Also the one in Longnor is fantastic and well placed for the Roaches - Sheff return journey.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#19 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 04:48:38 pm
Fantastic is a bit strong, its okay. Main benefit is being on the way back from the Roaches. That's why they taste good.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#20 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 04:57:54 pm
Mr Chips at Ovenden, nr Halifax does the best fish cakes I've tasted. Home made, excellent fish to potato ratio and well seasoned fish slice too. Blumming gorgeous. Good fish n chips too.

Dolly

• forum hero
#21 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 07:36:15 pm
Hick Street chip shop in Neepsend.
Proper old school for blokes in overalls. Always a queue, sometimes with Richard Hawley in it.
Despite the fine Woodseats offerings I think this is better. Only open at lunchtime though

What about that chippy in Otley near The Junction ? is that still there ?

dave

#22 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 07:44:43 pm
Must say that I always find Sheff chippies underwhelming,

But they are the only place (other than bits of rotherham) where you can get a proper south yorkshire fishcake.

Dolly

• forum hero
#23 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 08:02:39 pm
Isn't it a general Yorskhire thing ?
I think I've had one in Otley and Leeds, but may be confused

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 08:10:49 pm
You can't get a 'babby's yed floatin' though can you?

dave

#25 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 08:14:13 pm
Isn't it a general Yorskhire thing ?
I think I've had one in Otley and Leeds, but may be confused

Might be yeah, think there's a few strongholds scattered around but ground zero for them seems to be sheffield. I know people from rotherham who'd never clapped eyes on one.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#26 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 08:53:38 pm
Admiral - Crookes. Top Notch

Turboman

• addict
#27 Re: Fish and Chips
June 30, 2013, 09:29:24 pm
Pete's in Grenoside are superb, great fish and fish cakes. Telegraphs top chippy 2013 I believe. Two Steps on Sharrowvale used to do amazing home made pies but been a few years since  I've been.

galpinos

• forum hero
#28 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 09:10:54 am
On a Manchester vibe:

Atlantic Fish Bar, Chorlton - Best in the area imo, high through put of customers so always freshly fried goods, lovely fish, decent chips, portion big enough for two (the missus and I share a fish, chips and mushy peas and struggle to finish it), resonable pricing (for SW Manchester)

Thye also endeared themselves to me when asked by a wanky Chorlton-ite (there are a few Middle-Class hippy/vegan wannabes around here) where they sourced their fish the gentleman serving pointed to the sign and said, "The Atlantic, love, where else?"

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#29 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 09:13:04 am
The one in Ullapool is mighty fine.

The one overlooking the harbour? It's great but opening hours are variable outside of summer months. Been past in September at about 9:30 and it was shut. Right starving for some chips I was too.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#30 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 09:21:40 am
what do you guys class as a proper fish cake?
In Hudds it is a two scollops with some fish in the middle dipped in batter and fried.

A guy I used to work with from keighley said they call that a scon round there and a fish cake is like something birds eye would make (potato and fish mashed together in bread crumbs)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#31 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 09:39:59 am
a fish cake is like something birds eye my dad would make (potato and fish mashed together in bread crumbs)

Dolly

• forum hero
#32 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 11:02:43 am
what do you guys class as a proper fish cake?
In Hudds it is a two scollops with some fish in the middle dipped in batter and fried.

Sounds like the real deal to me.
Do we need a quango to determine the definition of a  Yorkshire fishcake ?

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 11:28:36 am
ahem....

From what I understand, in Hull - a 'fishcake' is where the potato and fish is all mashed up together, battered and deep fried.. whereas a 'fish pattie' is where you have two slices of potato (preferably not mashed) either side of the fish which is then all battered and deep fried.

Both are good, but the pattie is superb...

webbo

• forum hero
#34 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 12:39:03 pm
In these modern healthy eating times, Hull has moved in to this sphere with the Pea Patty. A slice of herbs and potato, peas and another slice of herbs and potato. Deep fried in batter before you ask.

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 01:17:22 pm
In these modern healthy eating times, Hull has moved in to this sphere with the Pea Patty. A slice of herbs and potato, peas and another slice of herbs and potato. Deep fried in batter before you ask.

Also a great option for vegetarians. Especially when fried in lard of course...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#36 Re: Fish and Chips
July 01, 2013, 01:45:41 pm
in the '90s two-steps used to do a mushy pea fritter (no potato) - not sure if they still do

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal