UKBouldering.com

Hand cooked crisps (Read 34724 times)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#25 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 15, 2013, 11:17:15 pm
Kettle-style chips (known as hand-cooked in the UK/Europe) are traditionally made by the "batch-style" process, where all chips are fried all at once at a low temperature profile, and continuously raked to prevent them from sticking together. There has been some development recently where kettle-style chips are able to be produced by a "continuous-style" process (like a long conveyor belt), creating the same old-fashioned texture and flavor of a real kettle-cooked chip.

I'll confess I did read this after posting on WP so there you go. It's still a load of crap dreamed up by some marketing people somewhere in some funky office somewhere like hoxton, probably on a space hopper.
Both the idea that Hoxton is an attractive part of London and the "hand-cooked" crisp are masterpieces of marketing. However I believe the latter predates the former.
I don't think Hoxton is attractive, just its got a bad rep for marketing, media type bullshit
Yeah, I understood that. What I meant is that funky offices only started appearing in Hoxton in the early 00s, whilst I am pretty sure things like kettle crisps were well established by then. I am claiming some local knowledge here as I lived in the Shoreditch/ Columbia Road area in the early 90s then watched with incredulity as first that area became trendy (kind of merited ...) and then eventually nearby unmitigated shitholes like Hoxton and Dalston.

Agreed Shoreditch isn't that bad. I had some friends who lived in Dalston and it was a massive shithole. Although it did do a good line in totally out of control warehouse parties.

andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 16, 2013, 07:42:59 am
Isn't that the point? That it's a bit grungy and scummy, therefore "cool"?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 16, 2013, 08:33:24 am
nouveau skank.

My pet hate is "hint of....." flavoured crisps. If you are going to make them taste of something do a decent fucking job of it.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#28 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 16, 2013, 09:34:55 am
Isn't that the point? That it's a bit grungy and scummy, therefore "cool"?

Well I know some people consider that cool but lliving in squalor never really did it for me and ive lived in some shit houses in Leeds and Bristol. This one in Dalston was another level..

underground

• forum hero
#29 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 01:14:26 am
I'll just say the last word on this bollocks. These so called hand cooked things are too thick and greasy

1. Kettle Chips RIDGED -all flavours
2. Co-op Salt and Chardonnay Vinegar (which are Tyrells but shit all over his own ok ish stuff)
3. Any kind of salt and vinegar chipstick
4. Any kind of potato twirl
5. Cheap 'onion rings' preferably when bought in conjunction with 4 or 5 for 90p (big bags).

However. Aldi chilli peanuts beat them all. No doubt some dippo will be along soon to contend this but basically, you're wrong

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 07:27:57 am
If you're introducing nuts into the equation these are a strong contender...

psychomansam

• forum hero
#31 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 08:54:39 am
I always thought pork crunch was quite an impressive snack. 70% protein! Often less fat than crisps. Used to get through a few packs when I worked in t'pub. It wasn't like I could afford meat (still can't mind). These days I get my protein from low fat milk and yoghurt. Probably healthier.

(http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266909526)

andy_e

• forum hero
#32 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 09:11:25 am
However. Aldi chilli peanuts beat them all.

I shall investigate at lunch-time.

No doubt some dippo will be along soon to contend this but basically, you're wrong

:lol:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#33 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 09:14:16 am
Having been baffled by the fact that crisps would be higher in fat than pork scratchings pork crunch. I had a google. Now I see. Pork Crunch ≠ Pork Scratchings.

:slap:

tomtom

• forum hero
#34 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 09:30:35 am
Having been baffled by the fact that crisps would be higher in fat than pork scratchings pork crunch. I had a google. Now I see. Pork Crunch ≠ Pork Scratchings.

:slap:

Is that like scampi flavour fries...
Or crab sticks...

psychomansam

• forum hero
#35 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 10:21:00 am
No. I'd say they're quite unique. Scampi flavour fries are just crisps. These are actually carb-free and the main ingredient is pork rinds.
Protein, fat, flavourings. They actually add vegetable protein. Weird.

tomtom

• forum hero
#36 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 10:40:02 am
These are actually carb-free and the main ingredient is pork rinds.
Protein, fat, flavourings. They actually add vegetable protein. Weird.

Sounds perfect! Now if only they made that in a drink ;)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#37 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 11:30:39 am
I'll just say the last word on this bollocks. These so called hand cooked things are too thick and greasy

1. Kettle Chips RIDGED -all flavours
2. Co-op Salt and Chardonnay Vinegar (which are Tyrells but shit all over his own ok ish stuff)
3. Any kind of salt and vinegar chipstick
4. Any kind of potato twirl
5. Cheap 'onion rings' preferably when bought in conjunction with 4 or 5 for 90p (big bags).

However. Aldi chilli peanuts beat them all. No doubt some dippo will be along soon to contend this but basically, you're wrong

I am totally down with Kettle Chips Ridged and the Coop own crisps (all flavours of these actually). I'm a big fan of frazzles and skips too although they now come in a cheaper supermarket own variety which are just as good.

I was having a good conversation the other day which went 'if you ran a pub what crisps / bar snacks would you sell?'. Crisps alone went on for some time...

rich d

• forum hero
#38 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 11:48:47 am
Frazzles remind me of holiday hangovers around the pool slowly drinking beer to recover. Love them! But seabrooke ready salted are the daddy - and one taste can take me back to sitting outside in a beer garden as a kid in the 70s drinking shandy bought by my dad. However for vile crapness that are amazing you can't beat monster munch flaming hot (obviously roast beef monster munch are the devil's work)

underground

• forum hero
#39 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 10:54:57 pm
However. Aldi chilli peanuts beat them all.

I shall investigate at lunch-time.

Avoid the ones that are in a floury 'coating/shell'. These look like normal dry roasted nuts but taste El Plementos...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#40 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 17, 2013, 11:33:18 pm
snacks of my life:

Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts - especially the freak packs with inordinate amounts of super-strong flavouring "dust" at the bottom.   Lick your fingers, dip and suck.... the intensity of flavour almost induced hallucinations.  Hoping for those packs was the pub-goers psychedelic lottery.

Fish'n'Chip snacks - savoury biscuits that came in a pack that aped newspaper wrapped fish and chips.  Memories of playing pool in Selby Working Men's club...  Dad have you got anymore 10ps?

Mini-cheddars - indelible associations with being woken up by Mum and Dad returning from the pub.  I would fall back asleep with the smell of a late night fried egg sandwich wafting up the stairs.  On waking, a pack of mini-cheddars would be waiting on my bedside table.

Honorable mentions: Salt'n'Shake crisps - much admired during school dinners despite being utterly pointless and never salty enough (did anyone ever elect not to use the sachet?); Seabrook Smokey Bacon - more intensely artificial  than an animatronic Tom Cruise.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#41 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 18, 2013, 03:58:26 pm
snacks of my life:

Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts - especially the freak packs with inordinate amounts of super-strong flavouring "dust" at the bottom.   Lick your fingers, dip and suck.... the intensity of flavour almost induced hallucinations.  Hoping for those packs was the pub-goers psychedelic lottery.

Fish'n'Chip snacks - savoury biscuits that came in a pack that aped newspaper wrapped fish and chips.  Memories of playing pool in Selby Working Men's club...  Dad have you got anymore 10ps?

Mini-cheddars - indelible associations with being woken up by Mum and Dad returning from the pub.  I would fall back asleep with the smell of a late night fried egg sandwich wafting up the stairs.  On waking, a pack of mini-cheddars would be waiting on my bedside table.

Honorable mentions: Salt'n'Shake crisps - much admired during school dinners despite being utterly pointless and never salty enough (did anyone ever elect not to use the sachet?); Seabrook Smokey Bacon - more intensely artificial  than an animatronic Tom Cruise.

All good calls, we always have Mini-cheddars in 'for the kids'  ;)

If your hankering after some 'fish'n'chips' check out these bad boys
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/snacks/jacobs_smoky_bacon_oddities_5x25g.html

not quite the same but see if you think they are reminiscent of them, we do, and rate them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#42 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 20, 2013, 09:06:35 am
I hate this thread, I am now craving honey roasted peanuts.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: Hand cooked crisps
May 20, 2013, 03:19:51 pm
But seabrooke ready salted are the daddy - and one taste can take me back to sitting outside in a beer garden as a kid in the 70s drinking shandy bought by my dad.

When I worked in bradford we had a contract for servicing some pumps at the seabrooks factory, and they would always give us a box of "sampled" crisps (they stick a syringe in a packet per batch and suck out the nitrogen to test for pureness.) The last to go were the random flavours like sweetcorn, which were pretty rank, but did actually taste of sweetcorn. Wonder how many packets actually get sold?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal