UKBouldering.com

Poll

Pete Whittaker's new route at Wimberry should be called ...

Baron Greenback
5 (6.5%)
Appointment with Jeff
19 (24.7%)
whatever Pete likes
39 (50.6%)
pink anasazi
9 (11.7%)
wimberry pie
5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 75

[Baron Greenback] [E9?] [Wimberry] (Read 35304 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#25 Re: temp Baron Greenback
May 13, 2013, 02:03:24 pm
It's gob smacking, as is a lot of the stuff at wimberry. I think pete, tommy, et al will have a lot of new great stuff to report over the next few months

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Re: significant repeats
May 13, 2013, 02:07:44 pm
Provided the weather doesn't go to complete ratshit. Again.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: temp Baron Greenback
May 13, 2013, 02:08:13 pm
Sam understandably thought the name Appointment with death was a bit willy-waverish if taken (too) seriously. His plan therefore was to balance things up by naming his next project (which was actually what became Dangermouse) Appointment with Jeff - not only an amusing play on words but also, as Lee has said, a reference to his favourite DJ and planned post-route celebration. Personally I'm not a fan of either Dangermouse or Baron Greenback as names and would have loved three variations on Appointment on the prow. But I'm not in charge, more's the pity.

I agree it deserves its own thread but at least it kept it off the UKC radar. Most significant grit route since Equilibrium as far as I'm concerned.

T_B

• forum hero
#28 Re: Re: significant repeats
May 13, 2013, 02:23:26 pm
Uncanny how much it looks like the mirror image of Parthian in that last photo. And similarities in terms of the uncertainty of the gear quality. I don't know my 80s cartoon history so hadn't realised the origin of the name :'(

petejh

• forum hero
#29 Re: temp Baron Greenback
May 13, 2013, 03:42:31 pm
Sam understandably thought the name Appointment with death was a bit willy-waverish if taken (too) seriously. His plan therefore was to balance things up by naming his next project (which was actually what became Dangermouse) Appointment with Jeff - not only an amusing play on words but also, as Lee has said, a reference to his favourite DJ and planned post-route celebration. Personally I'm not a fan of either Dangermouse or Baron Greenback as names and would have loved three variations on Appointment on the prow. But I'm not in charge, more's the pity.

I agree it deserves its own thread but at least it kept it off the UKC radar. Most significant grit route since Equilibrium as far as I'm concerned.

Sick line. At least he didn't call it 'Wings of Steel'. Or was that Batfink? Batfink was great.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Bat fink was genius, I thought it had been called appointment with jeff. Baron fuckin greenback! One of the best lines on grit, baron fuckin greenback! As bad as lazy Ryan with lannie bassam n el mocho with that shit name in Yorkshire. If only I had a modicum of talent we'd have some proper names

andy_e

• forum hero
You mean lazy Ryan with Bertie Gerwick and el mocho with Lannie Bassham? I agree, the name is poor for the line...

a dense loner

• forum hero
Exactly andi, such poor names I'd forgotten them.
Appointment with fear, partheon shot, knocking on heavens door. Names not to be trifled with.
If Ryan does the lawrencefield project I'm gonna stand outside his door till he comes up with a worthy name instead of tesco sparrow.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
The result of an "appointment" is a "diagnosis".... so the culmination of this piece of climbing history should be "Diagnosis Murder"... which would also be a fitting tribute to everyone's favorite lunchtime Dick Van Dyke mystery medical detective drama.

dave

#34 [Baron Greenback] [E9?] [Wimberry]
May 13, 2013, 06:11:12 pm
Rendezvous With Mortality?
Morbid Diary Event?
Consultancy At Dignitas?

tomtom

• forum hero
#35 [Baron Greenback] [E9?] [Wimberry]
May 13, 2013, 06:14:24 pm
'Decision by forum'?

FFS, it doesn't matter it's just a name. What a line!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Given the technical difficulty and the danger factor, I propose (sorry for my hubris) "Ne Bis In Idem". I don't think any (future) ascensionist would like to do it again...
Otherwise "Pink Anasazi" is my vote.

andy_e

• forum hero
Rendezvous With Mortality?
Morbid Diary Event?
Consultancy At Dignitas?

10.30 with the Coroner
Meeting with the Mortician
Undertaker's Schedule

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Shipman's surgery? Oh no, that one's taken.

Nemo

• addict
Looks amazing.  Surely the obvious choice on there was:
Appointment With Beer  :beer2:

andy popp

• forum hero
Already exists. As does Baron Greenback in fact.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Break the theme, be bold. Fucknut or Arse candle.

abarro81

• forum hero
Exactly andi, such poor names I'd forgotten them.
Appointment with fear, partheon shot, knocking on heavens door. Names not to be trifled with.
If Ryan does the lawrencefield project I'm gonna stand outside his door till he comes up with a worthy name instead of tesco sparrow.

+1. Except I might not bother standing outside Ryan's door.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
On a Wim?
A wim and a prayer?
The wombles of wimberry common?

grimer

• forum hero
I was in the Union the other night with (get me) Johnny Dawes (twas his birthday), John Allen, Tom and Pete, and others. Pete was casting about for names for the route. Having heard the suggestions, count yourself lucky that he gave it something as classy as Baron Greenback.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#45 Re: temp Baron Greenback
May 13, 2013, 08:28:16 pm
No nod at all. That was sam's name in homage to a shit dj which I have been forced to endure over the years, nothing to do with miles. He was torn between calling "death" "jeff" but didn't in the end. This name was banded about when the lines were first tried back after the day, of fear obviously

right ok, nice insight.

Are we not crossed wires here? Appt with Jeff became Dangermouse, Miles was trying the route Pete has now done and was calling it Baron Greenback hence it is some kind of nod?

Personally I don't mind the name; not everything has to be serious.

No idea how there is nothing on ukc yet. Its a week after and this is massive news

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Once again Dense is busting out the wisdom. There have been some pretty dire names for some pretty amazing lines recently...

Then again I would vote for Arse Candle  :2thumbsup:

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#47 Re: Baron Greenback
May 13, 2013, 09:48:56 pm
No idea how there is nothing on ukc yet. Its a week after and this is massive news
This is just a guess but I suspect UKC is often torn between breaking news quickly and holding back publishing until the whole package of sponsor-branded video and images is ready. Understandably ... Wild Country etc are entitled to share the glory.

I was thinking similar but they often publish a snippet with 'more info to follow'. Anyway what do I care the three blog posts from the people there were really good to read so I'm hardly gagging for the world according to Wild Country

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#48 [Baron Greenback] [E9?] [Wimberry]
May 14, 2013, 08:10:40 am
Crepitating Bowel Erosion (at least Fiend will get it).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#49 Re: Baron Greenback
May 14, 2013, 08:58:12 am
Anyway what do I care the three blog posts from the people there were really good to read so I'm hardly gagging for the world according to Wild Country

Pete's blog is on the Wild Country website.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal