UKBouldering.com

Free legitimate music downloads (Read 14861 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:44:31 pm by Bubba, Reason: title change »

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#1 Re: Free music on Amazon...
May 13, 2013, 03:08:19 pm
Cheers, not seen that before.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Free music on Amazon...
May 13, 2013, 03:10:28 pm
Me neither, nice one, you know how often it changes?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Free music on Amazon...
May 13, 2013, 04:10:59 pm
Not that often because I think I downloaded that Bat For Lashes track a while back, but didn't think to go looking for more freebies at the time. That said there's two there soon to be released so they obviously do add new ones from time to time. I guess its based on how often the artists want to give away tracks.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Re: Free music on Amazon...
May 13, 2013, 04:16:25 pm
On the subject of 'free' or low budget downloads if there are any Throwing Muses/Kristin Hersh/50ftWave fans out there these are worth checking out...

http://kristinhersh.cashmusic.org/
http://50footwave.cashmusic.org/
http://throwingmuses.cashmusic.org/

As are some of the other artists using the Cash Music platform...(most require a facebook 'like' to download)

http://bit.ly/16uz4NT

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: Free music on Amazon...
May 13, 2013, 04:19:26 pm
Thinking about it can a Mod change the thread title to something a bit more generic like 'free or low budget legit music' please? Then we can link to other sites such as this....

http://music.sufjan.com/

And we can have a list of sites that give you quality music for none or not many fuck alls.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 08:49:10 am
Me too.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 09:33:53 am
I get the same, and that album looks oh so tempting by the track names!

I can't get you 17 albums, although there are 497 listed on Amazon.com

Haven't tried to download any yet, they do ask for payments details (as per normal) so it might redirect you to .co.uk

Lots of kids/religious stuff on there but some of the samplers might be worth a listen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 09:47:09 am
The trouble with these samplers is that unless you know what you are looking for, you can wade through a lot of crap to find the occasional gem and, as the saying goes, life's too short to listen to shit music.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 10:59:17 am
The trouble with these samplers is that unless you know what you are looking for, you can wade through a lot of crap to find the occasional gem and, as the saying goes, life's too short to listen to shit music.
I have to disagree. How do you discover new music? Personally I have a range of methods including personal recommendations, websites like Amazon going 'if you like this you might like this', listening to the radio etc. However if you only ever stick to these quite often you'll get stuck in a 'infinite recommendation loop', only ever hearing new stuff that has made it onto a stations playlist. In the past I have bought quite a few record label samplers, with the reasoning that often labels have a range of artists that are linked or variations on a theme. A classic example of this is 4AD, I have bought things never having heard them but as they were on 4AD taking a calculated guess I'd like them.

I'd say you've got to listen to some crap music to find and appreciate the gems.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 11:08:51 am
I listen to a fair bit of new music, but, like I say you, need to know what you are looking for. I use a lot of word of mouth (I used to get some good stuff from the local indie record shop before its sad demise), Amazon's "if you like this you might like" Spotify's "related artists" bit, and "best albums of" from reliable sources. Getting a sampler from a known source (like 4AD) is not the same as downloading some random samplers from unknown label and hoping there might be some good stuff on it.

I've never got a shortage of new stuff to listen to from these sources, in fact I have loads of stuff on backlog I would like to listen to properly, but never have the time as I do like listening to stuff i know some of the time too.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 12:07:13 pm
I've never got a shortage of new stuff to listen to from these sources, in fact I have loads of stuff on backlog I would like to listen to properly, but never have the time as I do like listening to stuff i know some of the time too.
I have to agree.  ;) Likewise I never have enough time to listen to what I have already. That said I do like a freebie, but try not to nick music so artists giving tracks away is win/win.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 12:42:28 pm
try not to nick music so record companies begrudgingly agreeing to artists giving tracks away is win/win.

Fixed.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 01:55:52 pm
I like the model that people like Sufjan Stevens has adopted. Sell your music directly using a platform such as http://bandcamp.com/ (who takes 10-15%) even if they sell an album for a few $$ the artist gets much more money than via Amazon/iTunes etc. The fans get cheap music, the artist gets more money, Amazon/Apple etc don't get a cent. Win/Win/Win.

Longer term I think you'll see a lot more of this and the power of the big record labels will diminish even further.

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 01:58:03 pm
I agree, bandcamp is the best solution.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 02:05:47 pm
In the same vein as bandcamp there is Beatport for electronica.

Also a number of people make some of their music available for free download on soundcloud.com e.g. Keiran Hebden released an hour long set of stuff that didn't make the cut on his albums.  Other stuff you have to purchase.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 02:20:00 pm
Personally I think Spotify is a better solution but hasn't been brilliantly understood by most. In essence an artist gets rewarded on how much the music actually gets listened to, not  whether they have persuaded you to buy a specific item (the record label approach) you might never listen to again.

So for my favourite albums, which I have listened to hundreds of times, instead of receiving a few quid fifteen years back the artist should get a steady income potentially for years. Similarly I have a few vinyl albums bought secondhand which have the odd track on I like. Although I own the music, its easier to listen on Spotify and the artist gets money they would never have received.

Unfortunately artists/ labels don't seem to have grasped this and many just have a selection of stuff, presumably as a taster for buying others. Or big acts like Led Zep have refused the model entirely, despite being the ones who could benefit most (unless folk prefer to own Zep albums than listen to them). Presumably this is due to the (very) low fees required not just to get the system going, but mainly because one listen is closer to hearing it on the radio than ownership. (Cue slackline posting iib graphic on just how low they are.) The problem being every time I am forced to buy an album I question why I subscribe.

However the desktop interface is my favourite player anyway - the way you can use biographies and related artists to explore genres is brilliant. Mobile app is less enjoyable to use, but having a world jukebox on your mobile is still very impressive.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 02:27:04 pm
On that note has anyone explored rdio or deezer compared to spotify? Monthly fee seems similar, but not compared interface or how much music is out there.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#19 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 02:27:20 pm
(Cue Obi slackline posting iib graphic on just how low they are.)
To be fair I was looking for it before you posted...this is another reason why I dislike Spotify. They bang on about 'supporting the artists' but in reality, yeah if your already massive you might get a reasonable additional income, but if your not big they basically rip you off. Saw a tweet from an artist saying for 90,000 plays they got £8. Whoop.

Not safe for JB...but it does make a good point. Figures will be out of date.
NSFW  :

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 02:39:50 pm
(Cue slackline posting iib graphic on just how low they are.)

I couldn't give a shit about Spotify/other streaming models or online mp3 stores and what they do/don't do for 'artists'/record labels.  The only mp3 I've ever bought and downloaded was RATM 'Killing in the Name' to get it to number one at xmas.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#21 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 03:19:11 pm
Not a music fan then Slackers? Or just free Dj sets?

The above infographic has been updated for Apr 2012. Things have improved:

The first thing to note is it is hardly a fair comparison for starters. From the comments:

How is this graphic anything other than prejudicial? Take the LP/CD out of the equation and compare single tracks only, or compare only full album sales and streams in all formats - but don't compare apples (LP sales) and oranges (single streams) in the same statistical array just to make your point. With this graphic you are simply propagandizing.

A premium stream now pays about $0.015, others less. I.e.:

46 streams from Premium Users = 1 Itunes $0.99 download.

Many people would "sample" a CD on Spotify but would never download it.

Spotify is projected to make $889 million in 2012.  It will pay 70% of this or $622 million in music royalties.

Which is harder, getting 100 people to stream a song ONCE, or getting 1 person to download the song?

Look at VEVO views on Youtube.  If it pays $0.005 like Spotify, it would mean 200,000,000 views = $1 million USD.

I guess the worst thing you can do 'legally' is listen to unofficial uploads on youtube.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 03:54:57 pm
Not a music fan then Slackers? Or just free Dj sets?

Not all I just don't care for staying abreast of what could be the next big thing (i.e. discovering new bands/music for its own sake because there is a lot of good old stuff out there I've never heard), buying mp3's or how/whether the new models are profitable for the 'artists'.

When I want to I buy some music I go and find second hand CDs (and DVDs for that matter), usually though I just peruse second hand shops when I pass and see if there is something that catches my eye.  There is tons of old music out there that I don't know about that is increasingly being discarded as people shift their patterns.  If I particularly wish to keep the physical boxes because of artwork I do, if not I rip and sell it on for a small loss.

On rare occasions if there is something I can't find second hand I go and buy the CD direct from the artist or their record label e.g. Shout Out Out Out Out, The Field and more recently music from Lubomyr Melnyk I started the Classical Music thread with the other day.

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: Free legitimate music downloads
May 14, 2013, 03:56:38 pm
Wow, I didn't know The Field had an album, Kappsta/Kappsta 2 are amazing.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal