UKBouldering.com

Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements (Read 11584 times)

dave

#25 Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
May 11, 2013, 11:11:26 pm
for instance once you're into the clone tool and zoomed in to 100% how to you move around the image with the clone tool still open?

Press the spacebar. No idea on the b&w jpegs, not something I do, but I guess some of your issues might be down to familiarity.

Cheers, spacebar works.

Having read about it, there is no way to toggle between JPEG and RAW in a pair in LR, amazing.

Aperture also has flickr/facebook integration and umpteen plugins available for shit like photoshelter/pbase/gmail/zenfolio/getty/istock/yousendit etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#26 Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
May 15, 2013, 08:54:15 am
The same is true for video editing, although probably not true for real time ray tracing.

BBC using open-source software to replace traditional tape decks in satellite broadcast including the use of FFMBC (a fork of FFMpeg for media and broadcasting) for editing video.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
May 15, 2013, 10:31:36 am
The same is true for video editing, although probably not true for real time ray tracing.

BBC using open-source software to replace traditional tape decks in satellite broadcast including the use of FFMBC (a fork of FFMpeg for media and broadcasting) for editing video.

Er, no.  FFMBC for Media MANIPULATION.  Not editing.  FFMPEG isn't an "editor" from what I can see.

There is a "free" NLE: lightworks.  But it only works on windows (there's a linux alpha/beta/something soon?), and is better described as shareware.  Plus it is, by the reviews I've read, not that great.  I tried it and it was unusable in its free form.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#28 Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
May 15, 2013, 10:54:26 am
It was an interesting story (to me) of custom open-source software being used in media which was (tangentially) related to the topic we were discussing.  Seems to fit into the workflow of manipulating and editing for broadcasting (including HD content during the olympics) as the Raven suite they developed tags audio and video making it available at the next step in the process of broadcasting.

Not an attempt to say "Ooooh, look everyone should start using this" because a) most people won't be running outside broadcasting suites; b) its horses for courses and I don't care what others use as it has no bearing on my choice.

:offtopic: You can actually use FFMPeg for editing video, but its exceptionally convoluted and done on the command line (far from optimal).  Its also an exceptionally useful player in its own write, and allows you to avoid the codec hell that many people encounter (its sits behind VLC).

Does NLE mean Non-linear Editing in this context?  If so there is more than lightworks, several of which are GPL'd and many that aren't, see the list non-linear editing suites compared I previously linked if you're looking for choices.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
June 11, 2013, 10:39:49 pm
Having read about it, there is no way to toggle between JPEG and RAW in a pair in LR, amazing.

Stumbled on this today. Edit > Preferences > General > Tickbox: 'Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos'

dave

#30 Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
June 12, 2013, 06:53:33 am
Yeah i know about that, wouldn't really help unless you're happy to go back to using Bridge in 2006 style of workflow with separate files.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#31 Re: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
June 12, 2013, 08:21:15 am
Well to be honest I don't understand why you'd want to do either. My compact produces jpeg previews for RAWs, but I don't import them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal