UKBouldering.com

County boozers (Read 6160 times)

Baron

• obsessive maniac
County boozers
April 30, 2013, 08:37:44 pm
Any recommendations for post surf pints in the Beadnell area? Cheers.

dave

#1 Re: County boozers
April 30, 2013, 09:04:51 pm
The Ship in seahouses is quite good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: County boozers
April 30, 2013, 10:39:44 pm
I think we camped there once; for the record the campsite was damp, noisy and expensive. I think we ate and had a couple of beers at the Craster Arms Hotel. It was a bit family ish and seemed to be popular with the diving crowd but food, services and beer selection were pretty good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: County boozers
April 30, 2013, 10:41:05 pm
I'm sure gme can give you chapter and verse.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 11:45:53 am
I enjoyed the The Ship as a foodie-family venue. It was busy and the grub took a while to arrive (on an August weekend) but it had proper locally-sourced fish and crustacea and they brew their own. An ideal pub for a poncy North Londoner in the wilds of Northumberland.

luckyjez

• addict
#5 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 12:40:14 pm
Pretty sure we're all talking about the same Ship, but the one in Low Newton is excellent.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 01:00:43 pm
Good knowledge, thanks.

GME is calling the Jolly Fisherman at Craster - was a dump but just been done up.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 01:06:11 pm
Pretty sure we're all talking about the same Ship, but the one in Low Newton is excellent.

Great but expect to be busy to overflowing in nice weather though. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; nice lawn area outside.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 01:11:20 pm
The Ship in seahouses is quite good.

I remember drinking the Ship dry on a University club trip in 92-93... used to stay in the village hall in Seahouses.. First the bitters ran out, then the guinness, then the lagers - all that was running on tap at the end of the night was cider :)

gme

• forum hero
#9 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 02:01:30 pm
The Ship is at Newton by the Sea. OK for beer and the food is nice but limited to ploughmans and local crab pretty much. Its tiny and unless you can sit outside in the sun it will be rammed. They have live music on in there quite a bit which can be fun, if you own a house there and have webbed toes. It can a bit deliverance down there and at times you will feel unwelcome. As with a lot of the "locals" type pubs up here the landlord is a miserable w**ker. If you want to see a good example of this try the fishing boat inn at Boulmer or the coach in Lesbury.

The Jolly fisherman has new owners/ tenants was done up last autumn and is great. Good food, good beer and the view over to Dunstanburgh castle is to die for. Well worth a visit as is the cafe opposite which has the same owners.

Further down the coast the Red lion In Alnmouth is a great pub, the Cook and Barker is best in the area for food, just off the A1 in Newton on the moor and there is a new fish restaurant in Amble called the old boat house which is fantastic, local fish straight from the trawlers parked 10 meters away, but its not big so book and its not cheap.

I have lived back up here for 7 years now and the standard of food until recently has been very poor.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 02:11:19 pm
As with a lot of the "locals" type pubs up here the landlord is a miserable w**ker.

Can't be worse that the one at the Lindisfarne Inn. The most unpleasant publican I've ever come across in the UK. And the competition has been pretty fierce.

dave

#11 County boozers
May 01, 2013, 06:20:08 pm
Another one I haven't been in for a few years but we had our wedding scran in the Crown&Anchor on holy island, food was good and the owners were sound, both born on the island. This was 2006 so could have changed since then.

Recently went in the other pub, the first on your right on the road from the castle into the village, the beer was good but food only passable.

T_B

• forum hero
#12 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 08:18:46 pm
Any other recommendations for family-friendly (i.e. little kids) pubs/eateries around Belford/Bamburgh?

Stubbs

#13 Re: County boozers
May 01, 2013, 08:42:26 pm

The Jolly fisherman has new owners/ tenants was done up last autumn and is great. Good food, good beer and the view over to Dunstanburgh castle is to die for. Well worth a visit as is the cafe opposite which has the same owners.

Can echo these recommendations, awesome cake in the cafe and the food in the pub looked great

benj_d

• menacing presence
#14 Re: County boozers
May 02, 2013, 12:11:11 am
The Olde Ship in Seahouses itself (not newton) is probably the best for real ale round that part of northumberland.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: County boozers
May 02, 2013, 08:13:05 am
Any other recommendations for family-friendly (i.e. little kids) pubs/eateries around Belford/Bamburgh?

Both the pubs in Belford are OK, but the one further down the high street (name eludes me) has a nice garden out the back, but never eaten there. Eaten twice in the the one on the corner and food was good but not amazing. Sorry can't remember names.

J_duds

• menacing presence
#16 Re: County boozers
May 02, 2013, 08:44:03 am
In bamburgh we went to the pub opposite the green, possibly called red lion?, that was good and large seating area for families and non families. Note we went t about 8pm and it was quiet, but expect it will be busy during peak times. Fairly typical pub grub, would go again.

rich d

• forum hero
#17 Re: County boozers
May 02, 2013, 09:14:16 am
Another one I haven't been in for a few years but we had our wedding scran in the Crown&Anchor on holy island, food was good and the owners were sound, both born on the island. This was 2006 so could have changed since then.

Recently went in the other pub, the first on your right on the road from the castle into the village, the beer was good but food only passable.
small world, I had my last pint as a free man in the Crown and Anchor before getting married in the Castle back in 2007.  :icon_beerchug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal