UKBouldering.com

Recommendations for a DSLR (Read 11076 times)

AB

• regular
#25 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 28, 2013, 05:14:31 pm
Nice choice, the 50mm f1.8 is really good, i think its better optically in some respects than the 1.4 despite being a third of the price. All thats left is to go and get some good pics!

Eddies

• forum hero
#26 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 28, 2013, 09:16:42 pm
Thats good to hear. I am looking forward to getting stuck in to 'proper' technical photography, using lenses and manual settings aswell as dealing with RAW images and all that is involved in that side of things.

If any of you chaps sell any kit post it up here first eh?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#27 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 30, 2013, 06:41:40 pm
I just picked up a 35mm 1.8 prime and am loving it.  SOOO much faster than the kit lenses.  Good call on getting the 50mm to go with the kit.   

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 26, 2013, 10:04:55 am
would anyone be able to recommend a dslr in the 200-500 range?

a micro 4/3rd with some kind of all-around lens(do those exist?) would be sweet if possible  but i understand it's a pretty shit budget so i'd be satisfied with a decent previous generation full size slr.

I'd be using it 50% for product photography(macros, relatively close stuff), and 50% for climbing videos/photography.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 26, 2013, 11:19:05 am
Kit lenses aren't always great for macro use. What kind of products are you shooting, and what are you doing with the shots.

Quality-wise, any DSLR or M4/3 from the last few years will be fine, newer will mainly buy you better video and even more megapixels.

Any reason you'd prefer the M4/3 then? For the EVF?

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#30 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 26, 2013, 11:42:16 am
the m4/3 is mainly for the portability -  getting it out to the crag, either locally or when travelling.

however portability is not the #1 priority as i already have an old Canon s90 that i can carry in my pocket. - having a cheap slr that handles well and is capable of  professional looking quality product photos(climbing products, jewelry) and has good video capability is what's most important to me.

From your advice i guess i'm shooting fish in the barrel... but is there any slr known for good value/versatility? for instance an slr that comes out of the box with a good all-around lens? Perhaps i should just get a previous generation rebel.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:08:09 pm by krymson »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#31 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 26, 2013, 12:34:30 pm
professional looking quality product photos(climbing products, jewelry)

Any body will do, but the lens, the set and the lighting will determine how 'professional looking' it ends up. I would recommend you pick up a medium length (~90mm FX equiv.) macro lens as part of the kit, and start reading up on lighting.

dave

#32 Recommendations for a DSLR
June 26, 2013, 03:33:24 pm
Like the show pony says, lighting is the key to "professional" looking results in product photography, and in fact all photography.

Paul B

• forum hero
#33 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 26, 2013, 11:50:55 pm
Like the show pony says, lighting is the key to "professional" looking results in product photography, and in fact all photography.

This might be a worthy purchase and then go trawling through www.Strobist.com for anything relevant.

I'd go mirrorless in a heartbeat these days, unless you need the very best in AF (contentious point perhaps) then why have the bulk of a mirror flapping around (I'm currently carrying around a FF Dslr and three lenses + filters, it isn't fun)?

Surely an EVF is also an irrelevant concern for product stuff as you'll be in live view (or tethered [wirelessly  :geek:]?)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#34 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 27, 2013, 03:15:09 am
thanks for the tips! will surely be doing some reading.

I do remember my old photography professor uttering that mantra as well, that lighting is what makes the photograph.

I would mention that I have tried taking product photos with a rented slr(it was a previous generation canon, but a professional model?)  and compared to my pocket sized s90 the difference was night and day even with the same lighting setup.  I imagine it boiled down to the lens and sensor size difference.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#35 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
June 27, 2013, 09:32:06 am
Plus having better control of camera settings, no doubt.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal