UKBouldering.com

Recommendations for a DSLR (Read 11161 times)

Eddies

• forum hero
Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 08:38:48 pm
OK so ive got £500-600 to spend on my first proper digital camera.
I used my cousins Canon 600D the other w/end for a christening and I really liked it so I was going to buy one of those with a better quality lens that the std 18-55mm that typicaly comes as a first lens.

I have a few earmarked but as im basicly a DSLR noob id like to ask for your recommendations first.

It will be mainly used for landscape shots but a bit of everything really!

dave

#1 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 08:51:22 pm
My DSLR recommendation - don't get one, get something mirrorless. Seriously.

Eddies

• forum hero
#2 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 08:54:45 pm
Why?
Like what?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#3 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 09:05:46 pm
Asking 'us' is all well and good but you'll never get a general consensus. You've just got to put the hours in to your research from people who know a lot about different cameras, not just the one that they have (and therefore think is brilliant because they bought it and like it).
You'll know which one gets you hard!

I like this website for choosing a lens.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 09:11:11 pm
Not sure I'd recommend a mirrorless. Quality is on a par now, but if you haven't used a proper SLR viewfinder before then imho that will be the biggest aid to improving your pics. If you get a recent one you'll be fine, you can't get bad cameras nowadays. If you have any mates with them it might be worth getting the same brand so you can borrow lenses. I'd go for a zoom that will do most things - 16-85 or similar, plus either a 35/1.8 or 50/1.8 prime.

dave

#5 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 09:14:15 pm
Why?
Like what?

Smaller, lighter, easier to pack, hence more likely to be taken places and used. No mirror flying around so easier to handhold and get sharp shots. Lenses can be better too. Plus every man and his dog has an SLR these days so its boring.

I'd look at any of the m4/3rds lineup or the Fuji X-series (more expensive).

Eddies

• forum hero
#6 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 21, 2013, 10:09:29 pm
Thanks dave but im dead boring me so im going with a DSLR, plus a few of my mates have them so I can borrow their lenses.
Ive been looking at zoom lenses but there are so many and my budget is limited. Can anyone (Adam) recommend me a specific zoom lense for around £200? if thats possible!

I was originaly going to go with this deal: http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-600d-18-55ii/MTAwMjIxMQ_A_A Which looks to be a great deal in teams of kit per pounds

andyd

• forum hero
#7 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 09:08:59 am
If you're spending so little on a lens then tamron are a 'good value' choice. I'd personally recommend buying a 2nd hand body and using any money you save to get a better lens.
Do you want to film too or is it just for stills?

ali k

• junky
#8 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 10:03:31 am
I'd go for a zoom that will do most things - 16-85 or similar, plus either a 35/1.8 or 50/1.8 prime.

In addition to these standard lenses is it worth budgeting for something even wider for landscapes? Like 10-22? Have you had much use/need for one?

AB

• regular
#9 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 10:05:44 am
I got the 650d at Christmas and really like it. Its a bit faster than the 600d (5ps per second vs 3.5 i think) which I've found useful for climbing shots because you can get a couple of pictures of the same movement. I think some of the other features/ improvemnets are a bit gimmicky like the video autofocus and the touchscreen. The kit 18-55mm lens is suprisingly good, think they're quite a few online reviews for it so don't right it off especially seeings that you often only have to pay £20 pounds more than the body only price. I don't really see the point in mirrorless cameras because their protruding lens stops them slipping in a pocket and i've found the viewfinder useful. Hope that helps.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#10 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 10:37:40 am
 :agree:
Another vote for the Canon 650d, I got one a couple of months ago and have really been impressed - as for lenses, the standard 18-55 lens is great for every day, but I'm using a sigma DC 18 - 200 (around £250 new, £180?? second hand) which is a lot more versatile than the longer (i.e. 70-300) lenses as you can use it for close up shots as well as zooming in from further away - in other words good for climbing ... I'd also reccomend the 650 as it has a good auto setting but you can easily change to other settings as you learn to use it. Not used it for filming yet, but by all accounts reviews of this function are promising. It's one of the few entry level DSLR's to offer autofocus, so hopefully good value for money... 

andyd

• forum hero
#11 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 11:49:08 am
Autofocus on the video sounds good.

... I'd also recommend the 650 as it has a good auto setting
:spank:

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#12 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 12:06:32 pm
OK so ive got £500-600 to spend on my first proper digital camera... im basicly a DSLR noob id like to ask for your recommendations first.
I found auto good until you get a grip of what settings do what which can be confusing for the uninitiated...

andyd

• forum hero
#13 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 12:19:59 pm
Just poking fun!
The book that comes with the cameras these days are normally really useful. Keep them together for the first few months.

Eddies

• forum hero
#14 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 12:26:48 pm
Thanks for that advise all, especially the 650d. ill look into it now.
I will be using it for videos so the added autofocus sounds good, and faster shots sounds good too.

Nowt wrong with using auto settings, I got some very good results using my cousins 600d on various auto settings, there are a few different styles to choose from in the menu. Good stuff to keep me experimenting until I get my head around the camera enough to venture down the fully manual route.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 12:53:29 pm
I think just about any camera from one the main makers for that much money will have "good auto settings".

Wood FT

• forum hero
#16 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 01:02:10 pm

unless i've missed something on the spec of these recent cameras coming out it wont be able to autofocus during video, I think it's only the new Sony one that'll do that.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#17 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 01:36:04 pm

unless i've missed something on the spec of these recent cameras coming out it wont be able to autofocus during video, I think it's only the new Sony one that'll do that.
The 650d does do continuous autofocus, a feature they've traditionally been rubbish at, there aren't many DSLR models that do it, but the 650 does.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#18 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 01:46:07 pm

The 650d does do continuous autofocus, a feature they've traditionally been rubbish at, there aren't many DSLR models that do it, but the 650 does.

oh right nice one  :bounce: does it work well?

AB

• regular
#19 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 03:17:59 pm
I don't think so, haven't really got into filming yet but the times I have tried using the video autofocus it's not been very good. Seems to lose focus easily (even on a tripod) and then takes a second or two to find it again blurring the picture and making annoying autofocus noises. The 650d got a full manual mode for video (i.e. can change shutter, speed iso and aperture), don't know wether's its unique in having that. Also got a stereo mic too which I think alot of modern DSLR havent

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 03:30:17 pm
The 650d got a full manual mode for video (i.e. can change shutter, speed iso and aperture), don't know wether's its unique in having that. Also got a stereo mic too which I think alot of modern DSLR havent

:???: Shutter (speed) in video mode?  :-\

Would it not be frame-rate (the speed you refer to) as the shutter stays open when shooting video? :shrug:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#21 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 04:15:27 pm
Sounds odd doesnt it but the 'shutter' can be adjusted, so for example you can be shooting at 25 frames per second with a 1/50 shutter. I have no idea what happens if you change it as i've never bothered to go further than rolling through the numbers. 

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#22 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 22, 2013, 04:36:45 pm

oh right nice one  :bounce: does it work well?
I'll feed back as I'm yet to put it to the test in anger...
If my hunch is right I reckon manual is always going to be better when using a tripod solo, (i.e. set the focus from further back) but at least you can attach a rode mic to eliminate the aggravating focus noise...

Eddies

• forum hero
#23 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 28, 2013, 01:32:26 pm
Ive gone for 600d body with 18-55 kit lens and 50mm f1.8 prime + low pro backpack, card etc will do fine for now.
Can invest in fancy glass later in the year once i know how to use it

andyd

• forum hero
#24 Re: Recommendations for a DSLR
April 28, 2013, 05:03:34 pm
Good job. I hope you enjoy it. Let us know how long it takes before you're itching to buy a new lens. I give you 5 months before you buy a shiny new one

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal