UKBouldering.com

Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding (Read 38449 times)

jimbob

#25 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 12, 2013, 08:27:20 pm
 Doing a predetermined number of reps, with timed rests etc, certainly has its merits.

Maybe just doing as many reps in one set to a certain level of fatigue is more beneficial? And starting the next set when you feel ready to go, rather than watching the clock, is best?  Especially from a training perspective.

Letting go when you know you're tired ensures that technique can be optimised, and minimises the risk of injury. No one wants to get a strain training on a campus board. Total energy levels before a training session will differ each time, due to sleep, food, life stuff etc...  I reckon it's best to focus on efficiency, momentum and technique. Increased reps and better performance, over time,  will be a by product of this approach, and will leave you more redpoint ready, as climbing a route is a lot more than just banging out reps.

You can still record numbers of reps, and resting time, and chart your improvement.

tunaficiency

• regular
#26 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 14, 2013, 08:55:45 am
Hi Luke
    the website rock climbing uk has a couple of workouts for foot on fingerboarding
by matt birch. Think basically you hold each position for 10 seconds then the last three sec of the 10 you take the hand off your moving and slowly pull up with your other hand.
I tried this when i was working broccoli but i also tried to replicate the moves and rests on broccoli, and tried to visualise the climb. I also trid this holding for 20 secs more like trad and the pump is awful. when you do the foot on fingerboarding i think you have to make it pretty steep to be effective or use crap holds. another thing im trying at the mo is encores but for 2 mins instead of one on the 25's and good slots and building to 3 hopefully( feet off ) hope that makes sense cheers matt

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 15, 2013, 09:43:09 am
Just did this yesterday on a fingerboard(no campus board available unfortunately). it feels like hell near the end, you really have to fight for it.

I started off with half crimp and transitioned to dragging when my fingers just couldnt maintain the position any longer. definitely a proper work out. just thinking about it gives me a flash-back pump.

Compared to 4x4s I've done it's not nearly as much a full body workout, but it's great training not just for PE in the forearms but also forcing you to breathe while maintaining body tension(f-in hard!) and climbing through a pump. It is amazing how deep into pump you can go doing this.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#28 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 17, 2013, 10:08:52 pm

5 x (1:30 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 6 minutes or longer if needed to depump)

Attempted this just now and it's the living end...I've never felt pump like it, I feel physically drained!

Managed:

3 x (1:30 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 6 minutes)
Then had to change to
2 x (1:00 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 6 minutes)

I'd like to aim to complete the full 1:30 on all sets, I'm guessing the best idea would be to increase the 6 minutes rest?

Just did this yesterday on a fingerboard(no campus board available unfortunately). it feels like hell near the end, you really have to fight for it.

I started off with half crimp and transitioned to dragging when my fingers just couldnt maintain the position any longer. definitely a proper work out. just thinking about it gives me a flash-back pump.

Compared to 4x4s I've done it's not nearly as much a full body workout, but it's great training not just for PE in the forearms but also forcing you to breathe while maintaining body tension(f-in hard!) and climbing through a pump. It is amazing how deep into pump you can go doing this.

I feel your pain...!

spinmaster

#29 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 18, 2013, 03:57:29 pm
Great to hear someone watched those finger board videos, especially after the site was wiped off the search engine map by Google :-(

The finger board PE sessions allow a much greater burn that any other PE work I have come across. For me they worked best when I did hard circuits first (at redpoint limit with long rests), followed by feet on campus boarding and then the finger boarding.

The key from what Steve McClure said was to use the smallest finger holds possible, that you use that still allow a long enough period of work. If the holds are to big then the burn isn't as great. The pullup motion was added to increase the burn. As I got better I played around with the fingers I used.  So varied each time the hand came back on the board.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#30 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 18, 2013, 06:55:47 pm
A followup on the above.  Instead of shortening the session to 1:00, use bigger holds and aim for the 1:30 if possible.   

Other tricks I've found to make the session more "climbing-like" are to do a foot movement after every hand movement.  If I'm doing the session on a fingerboard and feet on a chair, I'll raise one foot to the top of the chair back and set it back down, then do a hand movement.  This creates a different contraction interval for the muscles which more closely mimics climbing.  Similar idea if you are actually on a campus board with feet. 

If all possible do the same hold size or sequence of holds throughout the 1:30.  That way you have a consistant workload.  So if you are moving on and off better holds, copntrol the time spent on the beter holds, so that the workout is consistent.

As part of a warm-up, I'll do a 30 second sequence followed by 2 min rest, then a :45 sequence followed by 3minute rest, then a 1:00 sequence followed by 5 minute rest, then on to the workout.  That way you hopefully don't get a flash pump in the first set which you never really recover from.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#31 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 19, 2013, 09:25:32 am
A followup on the above.  Instead of shortening the session to 1:00, use bigger holds and aim for the 1:30 if possible.   

Other tricks I've found to make the session more "climbing-like" are to do a foot movement after every hand movement.  If I'm doing the session on a fingerboard and feet on a chair, I'll raise one foot to the top of the chair back and set it back down, then do a hand movement.  This creates a different contraction interval for the muscles which more closely mimics climbing.  Similar idea if you are actually on a campus board with feet. 

If all possible do the same hold size or sequence of holds throughout the 1:30.  That way you have a consistant workload.  So if you are moving on and off better holds, copntrol the time spent on the beter holds, so that the workout is consistent.

As part of a warm-up, I'll do a 30 second sequence followed by 2 min rest, then a :45 sequence followed by 3minute rest, then a 1:00 sequence followed by 5 minute rest, then on to the workout.  That way you hopefully don't get a flash pump in the first set which you never really recover from.

This is some great advice, thanks Sasquatch! Will definetly incorporate the foot movement into the workout. Your warm up sounds good, think I might currently be doing too much during my warm-up.

The only problem I have currently is I can't switch to bigger holds to complete the 1:30 in the 4th set as I'm already on the biggest holds!

I currently have a 20mm campus rung on it's flat (not incut) side under my Beastmaker 2000 and doing:

(Sort of relaxed half crimp/open grip throughout apart from the sloper)

Match 20mm Rung
Left Hand up to 20 Degree Sloper, Match.
Left Hand down to 30mm pocket
Right Hand down to 20mm Rung, Match.

Then repeat leading with the Right Hand.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#32 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 19, 2013, 05:37:23 pm
That's only part of the warmup, I'm a big believer in a solid warm-up.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  Throughout the individual workout, the hold pattern should be the same, but change it up each workout if at all possible to reflect a wider range of grips and hand positions.  Periodically come back to one that you've used before to test yourself. 

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 22, 2013, 02:53:32 am
So I haven't been doing anything remotely related to endurance besides this foot on fingerboarding thingy 3 times in the past 2 weeks. (the moving your feet around suggestion is brilliant btw.)

Went to the lead wall yesterday and hung on longer than I've ever had! Very cool.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#34 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 22, 2013, 10:20:19 am
So I haven't been doing anything remotely related to endurance besides this foot on fingerboarding thingy 3 times in the past 2 weeks. (the moving your feet around suggestion is brilliant btw.)

Went to the lead wall yesterday and hung on longer than I've ever had! Very cool.

That's awesome! Good to hear your benefitting from it already!

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#35 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 25, 2013, 10:05:20 am
OK, so the feet on stuff is going well although it's draining me of life.

Only managing one day a week at the moment. Do people really do this at the end of a session?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:13:18 am by Luke Owens »

Vitamin K

• addict
#36 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 25, 2013, 12:07:08 pm
For an added burn you might want to consider cutting loose after some of the hand movements, placing your feet back on and then continuing to work through your sequence. Alternatively, you could cut loose after every hand movement - puts a bit of interest into it.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#37 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
April 25, 2013, 06:43:04 pm
OK, so the feet on stuff is going well although it's draining me of life.

Only managing one day a week at the moment. Do people really do this at the end of a session?

Not the one you're doing.  You're doing 15 sets of this in a session which is insanely long.  I probably should have mentioned it earlier.  When I've done these, I generally do 5 sets of 2min at max intensity so that I'm failing on the last set at about 1:45-1:50ish.  My preferred workout for these is: warm-up, boulder hard for a bit, then foot on campus (2on, 5off) x 5, cool down.

This brings up a different point for training though.  Everyone's body responds differently to training and recovery.  Some people do well training smaller volume everyday, some do better with longer workouts and a day off.  It's key to figure out for yourself how maximize the amount of quality training you can fit in a given time period. 

krymson

• obsessive maniac
ran up against one major issue with the fingerboard version of this training so i think it needs to be supplemented with some other more sports-specific form of endurance training as well --either 4x4s or route intervals.

Basically, it's very hard mentally for me to make long moves while pumped!

I think this is down to there being very short to little movement with the fingerboard version.

It may also be partly due to another issue like fear of falling -- but while i can climb through a pump like crazy when i have short to medium moves, when i encounter a long move(which i feel fine doing without a pump) while pumped,  it  will totally throw me for a loop!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
I think this is down to there being very short to little movement with the fingerboard version.

I go from the 1st rung to the highest I can reach (usually 4) when feet-on campusing, then ladder back down - might help you?

When I get too pumped - leave out the big move and just ladder - to get really pumped.

honroid

• addict
What size rungs are people on then..? I'm on 25mm and thinking they might be too big?

I've been at this twice a week for four weeks now and I'm coping with 3 rounds of
4x(1:30 on 1:30 rest) with a 7 min rest in between with a range of laddering,
touches, cross-overs, and varying the speed.

I am onsighting much better than I was four weeks ago able to recover on smaller holds. I reckon the realisation about how much you are able to climb while pumped has a huge impact, as has learning to breath properly. I trust too that real physical gains will come in time..!. On a side note, I usually have a shake out for 10 seconds of the 90 second hang. Is that bad practice?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
The size of rungs you need to use depends on the person. But if you are managing to shake-out on them then I'd say they are too small. Think I'm using 25mm and the only shaking out I can manage is a little flick between hand movements. Perhaps where the feet are make a large difference to how the holds feel.

I did try doing this on smaller rungs but found I'd power out before I got properly pumped.

You could extend the time on the rungs to 2mins, or reduce the rest down to 1min. The key is that you get royaly boxed after each set.

Shaking out isn't a bad thing. In fact it's pretty essential for climbing! If you are fit enough replace the the rests with shaking out on a larger rung.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Just wanted to mention that I'm doing the foot on fingerboarding once a week these days and maintaining fitness, and even, slightly but consistently, gaining. The rest of the week I am generally evenly split between hard bouldering and moderate route climbing(where i dont really train, but just climb for fun)

My sessions are pretty short, i would do them at the end of a moderate bouldering session or a fingerboard session. 2 or 3 sets of 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off.

The beauty of this workout is that you can tune it to your goal - longer routes or shorter harder ones.

I tune mine for shorter  harder power endurance which suits the routes in my area and it seems to be fairly effective - I can pull multiple hard(for me) moves much better now than ever before.

Btw,  i am resting for about the same time i am on - 2 minutes. because i thought that was the standard for interval training for anaerobic endurance, but it seems other folks are resting longer?

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Just wanted to mention that I'm doing the foot on fingerboarding once a week these days and maintaining fitness, and even, slightly but consistently, gaining. The rest of the week I am generally evenly split between hard bouldering and moderate route climbing(where i dont really train, but just climb for fun)

My sessions are pretty short, i would do them at the end of a moderate bouldering session or a fingerboard session. 2 or 3 sets of 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off.

The beauty of this workout is that you can tune it to your goal - longer routes or shorter harder ones.

I tune mine for shorter  harder power endurance which suits the routes in my area and it seems to be fairly effective - I can pull multiple hard(for me) moves much better now than ever before.

Btw,  i am resting for about the same time i am on - 2 minutes. because i thought that was the standard for interval training for anaerobic endurance, but it seems other folks are resting longer?

Great to hear you're getting gains. I seem to be making great gains on one session a week too.

I'm still doing:

5 x (1:30 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 6 minutes)

It's a long session and I do it on it's own day. The pump is immense and it's definitely working!

In the other thread I've posted "To Redpoint or Not to Redpoint" it's about a route I've tried recently. a month ago I was getting very pumped on it and powered out and Tuesday evening I sent it resting and shaking out most of the way up. Felt amazing.

I can't recommend this type of training enough. It's so simple too!

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#44 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
June 24, 2013, 12:15:19 pm
Bit of an update. I'm doing:

5 x (1:30 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 5 minutes)

But still only managing it once a week as I get outdoors 3 times a week too.

The problem i'm having is the above work out is causing me to have forearm DOMS for 3 days afterwards and i'm starting my outdoor sessions still feeling it from the training session.

I'm looking to cut it down slightly and maybe do it on 2 seperate days. Not sure what would be best? I was thinking:

Day 1: 3 x (1:30 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 5 minutes)

Day 2: 3 x (1:30 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 5 minutes)

Total time's: On - 13:30 Minutes / Rest - 22 minutes

Or

Day 1: 3 x (2:00 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 7 minutes)

Day 2: 3 x (2:00 on, 2 mins rest x 3 - Rest 7 minutes)

Total time's: On - 18 Minutes / Rest - 26 minutes

standard

• obsessive maniac
#45 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
June 24, 2013, 12:42:44 pm
A snippet of what Ste Mac recommended to me if anyone is interested (pretty much the same as his various articles on the subject if you google around)
The reps and rests are longer than what you are doing, Luke.

If its outside redpoints I'd go with a hard redpoint style circuit that takes maybe 2.5 - 3 minutes all out effort, and then rest 10 mins. The rest needs to be long enough for quality burns each go, aim for 3-4 burns that are all good efforts. If your rest is too short your efforts will be short lived and you won't go into PE but just fade fast.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#46 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
June 24, 2013, 02:21:28 pm
Thinking about putting so climbing holds or a strip of wood above my fingerboard... Anyone else done this? Seems like a good alternative to a campus boar. But I've only got about a foot and a bit room... Reckon this is enough movement?

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#47 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
June 24, 2013, 02:29:43 pm
Thinking about putting so climbing holds or a strip of wood above my fingerboard... Anyone else done this? Seems like a good alternative to a campus boar. But I've only got about a foot and a bit room... Reckon this is enough movement?

I've put a 20mm campus rung under my beastmaker. I use this for deadhangs and feet-on fingerboarding. I explained my routine using the campus rung in an above post.

Cheap and works well, you could definitely do the same with climbing holds though.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#48 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
June 24, 2013, 02:35:31 pm
Ahh shall read it cheers. How mic distance you got between?

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#49 Re: Feet on Campusing/Fingerboarding
June 24, 2013, 02:40:53 pm
Ahh shall read it cheers. How mic distance you got between?

About a foot. Don't think it really matters. The bigger the space the harder the move!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal