crimp

RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 03:33:22 pm
Thought police

iain

• forum abuser
#1 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 03:47:10 pm
Commenting on the deceased's life is one thing, celebrating their death is quite different.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 03:53:08 pm
Lock n log.

crimp

#3 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 03:57:11 pm
Ok.

She was a dreadful person. Her policies tore communities apart, using violence where she couldn't get her own pro wealth anti poor ideology through.

She used troops against their own communities. Orgreave colliery, the battle of the beanfield, etc reminded many of the Peterloo massacre.

Etc, etc, etc...

She will not be missed by many. But we shall have no emotion about it all.

Durbs

• forum hero
#4 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 04:14:59 pm
Log.

crimp

#5 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 04:20:02 pm
Stifle.

Durbs

• forum hero
#6 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 04:32:47 pm
*sigh*

RIP thread - if you look through it is, pretty much a head-up on who has recently passed.

If you created a Maggie thread - you'd be free (probably) to debate her merits or lack of to your hearts' content. Heck, you could possibly even start an RIH thread if you were so inclined.

Personally I don't see the benefit of celebrating anyone's death.

crimp

#7 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 04:45:26 pm

Tut sigh and wheeze (and other disapproving bodily sounds)

firstly, rip is irreverent enough.

The whole site is. What you saying, it's ok to call that cameron and osbourne a cunt, but not thatcher, just because she has done the decent thing and died?

Moderators are cracking down on anti Maggie sentiment big time.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 04:55:22 pm

chris j

• forum abuser
#9 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 04:57:54 pm
Sometimes if you have nothing good to say about someone/something it's better to say nothing... Matter of taste and respect for the dead and all those outdated ideas.

Margaret Thatcher and misapplied death etiquette

But then the Guardian says it's ok so what would I know...  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:00:49 pm
If you've read that piece (in 2m 32secs, which is fast) then it might help you make up your mind, but its ultimately your decision.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:10:29 pm
I personally won't be celebrating any ones death - though I feel indifference to her passing away. In many ways she had died a few years back. Having grown up during the 80's I can also fully understand why people will be pleased with her passing away - those were incredibly divisive times and her Government acted out policies that certainly contributed to that (some might say I'm putting that very lightly!). 

But this thread is about whether or not we can express our own views about it. Which I think is fair enough. If you're outraged by peoples views fine - and vice versa - thats discussion.

If the aim of locking the thread was to stop UKB discussing it, then that was wrong. If locking the RIP thread was to try and keep things in the RIP thread about people who have died rather than a Thatcher discussion thread then fair enough (though they could have spawned a new thread...). Maybe some clarity from the IO's could help with this.

Though I can't help wondering if the same have happened if Bono (and his hat) karked it in a plane crash... ;)

chris j

• forum abuser
#12 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:12:42 pm
If you've read that piece (in 2m 32secs, which is fast) then it might help you make up your mind, but its ultimately your decision.

Like most/many on t'internet I skimmed and picked out the bits I wanted to see...  :whistle:

crimp

#13 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:16:38 pm
Come on slackline, tomtom, et al.

Get my back here.

If i have offended you. I will be at south west BMC regional meet on 13th at nova Scotia pub.

Come and argue the toss with me.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:21:37 pm
i'm certainly agreeing that we should be able to discuss it

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:23:36 pm
I'm not offended, I just don't really care.

Thatcher did her damage years ago, and the effects are still felt today.  Her passing today makes no difference to me.  I won't celebrate or commiserate, but my comment about hell in the RIP thread was because her approach and policies harmed many, many people.

I started the RIP thread so that there wasn't an individual one each time someone of note kicked the bucket.  In that regard, what tomtom said, and clarification as to why its been locked should explain whether its an attempt to stiffle free speech (which would be a shame) or keep the thread on topic (perhaps a first for UKB!) for those that care.

crimp

#16 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 05:33:44 pm
I appreciate that slackline.

Not asking you to agree with me. Just look out for of the, and watch my back bud

crimp

#17 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 07:32:15 pm
BBC radio just reported several hundred people having a party in Glasgow centre with champagne and everything.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 07:43:24 pm
If the aim of locking the thread was to stop UKB discussing it, then that was wrong. If locking the RIP thread was to try and keep things in the RIP thread about people who have died rather than a Thatcher discussion thread then fair enough (though they could have spawned a new thread...). Maybe some clarity from the IO's could help with this.
I locked it temporarily. My decision alone. I thought the "rot in hell" comments were extremely distasteful. I informed the other moderators at the same time. They unlocked it again, which is fine - their call. No-one's posts were deleted apart from mine: fucking censors, eh?

Not unrelated to this: my mother is Thatcher's age and has also had dementia for several years. Not a happy way to spend your final years.

I think you were right. Still censorship a tricky line to walk :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 07:55:39 pm
On reflection my comment was probably inappropriate, but I didn't think it was the best thread for reporting Thatchers death as the RIP thread tends to be for people who have done great things in their time.

Not unrelated to this: my mother is Thatcher's age and has also had dementia for several years. Not a happy way to spend your final years.

Saw my wifes grandfather die of dementia a few years back.  Both of my elderly grandmothers are in their late eighties and on their way out (albeit their bodies are going rather than their minds).

Not sure there is a happy way to spend your final years.  :no:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 08:02:47 pm
Sometimes if you have nothing good to say about someone/something it's better to say nothing... Matter of taste and respect for the dead and all those outdated ideas.
Exactly what my ancestors used to say (a little latin quote for Dense):
"De mortuis nihil nisi bonum".

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#21 RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 08:26:08 pm
I shall neither mourn nor mock.

She had few friends, in the end, and history has not been overly kind, nor will it ever be.

There were pros and cons to her policies, if you think there weren't, you've forgotten how bad things were '77, '78, '79.

Let it go.

Worry about the latest bunch of elitist morons.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 08:49:43 pm
If even half the effort that was expended in hating Thatcher/the Tory scum was put into something positive we might not have the latest bunch of elitist morons...

Wood FT

• forum hero
#23 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 08, 2013, 09:27:25 pm
 :icon_beerchug:
If even half the effort that was expended in hating Thatcher/the Tory scum was put into something positive we might not have the latest bunch of elitist morons...

+a fat 1

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#24 Re: RIP - free speech?
April 09, 2013, 12:06:58 am
Thatcher's policies were instrumental in creating a country where the majority are too disenfranchised/uneducated to bother voting. Hence, the elitist morons in some form or other will forever rule.

So yeah, but no.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal