UKBouldering.com

Metolius Mastercam vs BD C3 vs BD X4?? (Read 35617 times)

galpinos

• forum hero

• BD are now owned by a complete bastard which may affect your decision, it has stopped me buying any new BD gear since I found out.

Why? Who is it? What's he done? Isn't it still this bloke?

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-gb/blackdiamond/employees/detail/username/petermetcalf

Nope, that's the CEO.

This is the owner:

Warren B Kanders (and his wife).

Black Diamond was bought by the Claus Coporation. From Rockclimbing.com:

This is not a story of Peter Metcalf accessing capital markets in order to further grow the BDEL business, its the story of Duff, Metcalf, and the original Choinard buyout group selling out and Warrren Kanders taking over. So who is Warren Kanders?

Warren Kanders is your quintessential cigar-chomping, boarding school/ivy groomed, trophy wife brandishing, fat, republican-douchebag capitalist-pig. His previous big score was a military contractor called Armour Holdings. With his business partner, Robert Schiller, Kanders built Armour through a series of acquisitions beginning in 1996 and sold it off in July 2007 to BAE, a much larger military contractor. This sale was right about the time that the DOJ and military began investigating a handful of armour providers for providing defective body armour to the military. Eventually Armour (by that time owned by BAE) paid some hefty fines for violations of the false claims act. Soldiers got shortchanged (maybe fatally?); Warren Kanders got rich.

Amongst Armour's many assets was Gregory, which BAE had no use for, so it sold it back to Kanders and Schiller. Now Kanders has always had more than one card in the game: in addition to controlling Armour, he controll(ed)(s) a few "blank check" companies. These are companies that are publicly listed but which have no operating assets and provide "shells" typically used to quickly bring a private company public. Clarus, 30% owned by Kanders prior to the transaction, is one such "blank check." Kanders/Clarus is buying BDEL for $90 million cash and buying Gregory for $22.5 million in Clarus stock at $6 and $22.5 million in Clarus debt. Supposedly the BDEL executives who are receiving employment agreements with Clarus are going to use some of their cash to buy stock at $6, but the only definitive mention of this in the SEC filing is that Metcalf is receiving options to buy 75,000 shares at $6.00 per share which will vest in three installments in 2012-14. Even assuming Metcalf purchases and retains all 75K shares, this is a trivial amount of stock compared to Kanders position of between 5.1 and 7 million shares immediately post acquisition (his percent interest in Gregory is unclear). Another way to think of the transaction is that Kanders is trading 100% of crappy little Gregory for a 30+% interest in and control over BDEL.

With 30+% of the company, Kanders will be, by far, the largest shareholder (possibly also the fattest) and he's staying on as Executive Chairman to protect his assets (and his business partner Schiller is staying on as Executive Vice-Chairman). Make no mistake, Metcalf works for Kanders and Kanders is in business to make money, lots of it, mostly by acquiring and flipping assets within 10 years (before the negligence or fraud suits get filed). His track record on safety?, his apparent interest in anyone's welfare other than his own?.... apparently not so great.

As for me: I think Kanders will make a lot of money in this deal; I think people who invest with Kanders will make some money, but a lot less than Kanders; but on the product side: no way in hell will you catch me buying safety equipment from a Wall Street robber baron.
    ====
    Here's a nice little blurb about how Kanders used lobbying and political connections to maintain his status as the sole company permitted to armour Humvees (resulting in a shortage of armoured Humvees and a surplus of dead soldiers in Iraq in the mid-2000s)
    http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/archives/2005/06/
    and here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/....html?pagewanted=all

Oh yeah and on the subject of whether BDEL was "employee owned", Duff and Metcalf each owned in excess of 10,000 shares of the company. The next ranking officer, Robert Peay, BDEL's CFO, (who was not part of the original Choinard Equipment buyout group) owned only 263. The other named principal stockholders were "Jaeggi, Ritchie, Grover, Carlson, McCall, Bowers, Bancroft, Cranor, (Michael) Metcalf, and Sachika" -- I believe they are mostly original investors, not ESOP employees.

=============================
    =============================

Yes, if you purchase shares of Clarus you will eventually own an equal number of shares of the proposed new Black Diamond company when the name change is effected. This assumes the merger transaction is consummated as the management and principal shareholders of both companies expect it to be by June 30. At that time or shortly thereafter, your Clarus shares would be renamed Black Diamond and listed on a national exchange. As a reminder though, at this point, investing at $6 represents a expression of absolute faith in the good intentions of Warren Kanders. He's selling Gregory to Clarus for half shares at $6 and half debt. The BDEL people aren't selling for a mixture of new stock and cash, or new stock and new debt, or any securities of the new company whatsoever, they are selling for hard cash only. In other words, as an investor group, the BDEL people are expressing no confidence whatsoever in the future of the combined entity. Were they to even sell part of their interests for shares, they could reduce their immediate tax burden and capitalize on the future growth of the company if its current price is "low" or if they believe Kanders has the ability to grow it successfully. They are doing no such thing.

Also, if you invest today you are doing so knowing only this: the combined revenues of the new entity (should the transaction be concluded) will be roughly $113mm, and its valuation at least $152. Until the merger documents with consolidated financials are publicly filed you have no idea how much debt either Black Diamond or Gregory hold. Black Diamond may be profitable, but they owe money to Zions Bancshares and to Credit Suisse. Their interest burden may be sopping up most of that profit. They may be selling now because they have to, not because they want to. You just won't know until the merger documents are filed.....

To me, this looks like corporate raider Ron Perelman buying camping products company Coleman in the 90s. That didn't go so well in the long run for Coleman Shareholders or Coleman's products. In addiition to looking a lot like a heavier-set version of Perelman, Kanders business used to include installing the armor plating on Humvee trucks, which were made by Ron Perelman's AM General; I wonder if they golf together.

Remember, the people who do this sort of thing (mergers and acquisitions) do it with enormous ferocity and for their own benefit, not the public's. Buyer beware.

Source: http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2334477;search_string=trophy;

Make of that what you will. I'm no buisness type but it doesn't sit right with me.[/list]

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
    So it sounds like I should maybe get the Mastercams, or maybe the C3s, or maybe wait for the X4s if they're not too pricey  :geek: :unsure: :blink:

Exactly.

Drew

• forum hero
    • Am I really a
    I'd defo suggest the Totem Basic (Aliens), and completely ignore your prejudices about grooves in the cam lobes. Everyone I know with Aliens finds them working better with age. The soft alloy of the cam lobes wears away to reveal a smooth surface, and suddenly you have a far more efficient cam design.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
    • forum hero
     But we already ruled the Totem Basics out because he's after small sizes, and they only go down to Mastercam #2 equivalent

Fiend

• _
    • forum hero
    • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
    • Whut
    Went for C3s in the end, mostly due to the narrow head and also warnings about Mastercams seizing a bit. Thanks for all the advice, tradders :)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
      • Photos
    Feind-e-pops - what are your conclusions?

I'm a bit light in a cams below BD C3 green (Size 0) and am not sure if I should go X4, C3 or Mastercam. Probably go C3 for consistency (and my mate is buying all the X4s when we get to USA).

Buuuut, any insight?

Paul B

• forum hero
    If you're coming to Yosemite (as I gather you are) then go and buy the hybrid mastercams if you don't own them (purple/blue to orange/yellow are invaluable). We put off buying these until around two weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for it now.

The Camp4 notice board currently reads "Hybrids for Sale: Better than sex in a pin scar" and although I can't attest to having had sex in a pin scar, they are pretty outstanding in any kind of flared placement.

After using (and falling on) both C3s and Mastercams for the last 5 months the latter win hands down for me, more flexible and without the plastic sheath which on my C3s seems to contain half a desert.

If you're passing through Bishop buy your C4s there (try and avoid the mountain store), they sell for only a few £ more than I got mine for in the UK at trade+vat through where I was working.
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:26:29 pm by Paul B »

Fultonius

• forum hero
      • Photos
    Interesting - we don't have any offsets. Would you ditch super small cams in favour of offsets?  We have cam hooks of various sizes (and James apparently knows how to use them...)

Of just buy supersmall and offsets?

How long will you be in Camp4 for? We are arriving at the weekend.

moose

• forum hero
    • Lankenstein's Monster
    • el flaco lento
    vaguely on (and off) topic - I have a set of Mastercams, sizes 1 to 6, never been used, still tagged, that I am open to offers for (became a sport climber and never got around to using them). 

Paul B

• forum hero
    Interesting - we don't have any offsets. Would you ditch super small cams in favour of offsets?  We have cam hooks of various sizes (and James apparently knows how to use them...)

Of just buy supersmall and offsets?

How long will you be in Camp4 for? We are arriving at the weekend.

We're not in Camp4 we're in our van, Ford with CO license plates. If all goes to plan we'll be on a route when you arrive (we'll be selling a #6 C4 if Zodiac is on your list? [and likely our ledge]). Sorry to say its damn hot here currently, there's been lots of heat induced bailing.

In terms of rack I guess it depends on what you're looking to get on? I've used two 00 on all the walls we've been on and the offsets we just bought (b/y, y/o) end up getting back cleaned every time they're placed as they're so damn useful. The rack suggestions in the updated Yosemite big walls book seem to be reliable as does yosemitebigwall.net.

Oh and offset nuts are also damn useful (we've got gold-red but I dare say the full set wouldn't hurt).

Fultonius

• forum hero
      • Photos
    Oh, interesting! Where are you staying then? We're bringing a tent but are borrowing a van from a mate of James' for the month (it's a camper), so if there's places you can stay we'd be interested. Is it "creative camping"??

We actually have a #6 and have borrowed a WC #6  - I heard zodiac needs a #5 but can we get away with #4s and #6s?

Our mates might want the #6 though as they're short on big stuff. We have a ledge, our mates don't but I doubt they'll bother.

Any boulder mats on the camp site gear list?

duncan

• Global Moderator
    • forum hero
    Fultonius, I've PMed you with some off-piste camping suggestions.

The wide crack above Peanut ledge (Pitch 14) is the one spot where gear >4" is nearly essential. If I recall correctly Friend 4s will be tipped-out and ideally it needs 2-3 Friend 5 size pieces, depending on how prepared you are to run it out. A Friend 6 is probably too big to fit.  The pitch can be laybacked at about 5.10+ (or offwidthed at 5.9++) but you'd have to be pretty confident and this strategy doesn't work if there is a waterfall coming down the route as I found to my cost...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:53:02 am by duncan »

Paul B

• forum hero
    Where Duncan has likely suggested has worked well for us (thanks) although some nights we don't go the distance and just pull over just outside of the park boundary (usually if we're getting up early to get on something).

I haven't noticed any mats for sale. You might be able to rent a few from the YOSAR camp if there's none for sale?

chillax

• forum abuser
    Bring at least 2 4's and 2 new 5's for that pitch on Zodiac. I had one new 5 and one old (which was more like a 6). Had to do that terrifying thing of pulling on as if to free climb, then bumping the 5 up another couple of inches. Was solo, so near shat my pants. Not advisable.

Fultonius

• forum hero
      • Photos
    Bring at least 2 4's and 2 new 5's for that pitch on Zodiac. I had one new 5 and one old (which was more like a 6). Had to do that terrifying thing of pulling on as if to free climb, then bumping the 5 up another couple of inches. Was solo, so near shat my pants. Not advisable.

I hope you loudly proclaimed "Caaaaam shuffle" just as you started it? It's the only way to stay sane when you've only got one piece in 30 metres  :o

So, no 6s will fit?  Sheeeaattt!  We have 2 x #4 and 2 x #6 but nae #5s.  I might just send James up first and when he gets stuck, tie him off as a runner and power to the top.

TobyD

• forum hero
    • Job offers gratefully accepted
    My tuppence....

I've used Metolius Mastercams, Aliens, Zeros all quite a lot, and fallen on them quite a bit.

I like and trust Aliens; though i only have originals (in dire need of replacement - are the new ones any good?) I've taken a decent lob onto a black (tiny) alien in US desert sandstone and it was fine.

Zeros always feel horrid to me, unless they are in a really basic positive placement where anything would be fine. The bendy stem makes them really hard to place if you are pumped shitless and they are fiddly anyway.

Mastercams almost as good as aliens - a little better constructed and durable perhaps, but have a little less of a positive 'bite' in flary horrible placements. I have found them no worse than anything else on seacliffs, surely you should clean everything anyway - it'll all get weaker if you don't. If you can't be arsed, accept that your gear will be less strong in a year's time.

BD do feel stiff - great in vertical pin scarred cracks (i.e. the USA were they are designed) not so good for flaring gritstone breaks and funny pockets on British mountain volcanics or little dusty pockets at Gogarth. I have not used them loads and loads though. 

chillax

• forum abuser

I hope you loudly proclaimed "Caaaaam shuffle" just as you started it? It's the only way to stay sane when you've only got one piece in 30 metres  :o

So, no 6s will fit?  Sheeeaattt!  We have 2 x #4 and 2 x #6 but nae #5s.  I might just send James up first and when he gets stuck, tie him off as a runner and power to the top.

It was more a case of "Well shit, I got this far....". Theres a rivet about halfway up the size 5 section. Would probably hold a fall with a screamer on. My advice is to beg, borrow or steal a pair of 5's. Piss with them, desperate without.

Sidehaas

• stalker
    [quote author=TobyD link=topic=21925.msg418316#msg418316

BD do feel stiff - great in vertical pin scarred cracks (i.e. the USA were they are designed) not so good for flaring gritstone breaks and funny pockets on British mountain volcanics or little dusty pockets at Gogarth. I have not used them loads and loads though.
    [/quote]

I bought an x4 to try out recently (smallest size), only used in anger once to date so cant really review it, but its much less stiff than a c3. To me so far it feels most like a mastercam with a slightly narrower head.  Most of my experience is with zeros though,  which I agree are fiddly and I dont often trust them...hence finally looking to replace.

chummer

• forum abuser
    Apologies if this has been suggested elsewhere but the new Totem Basic Cams are fucking awesome, Aliens but improved. Well worth a look at and definitely my preference after using all of the above. The new BD ones are as others said quite stiff and their lobes are made from a pretty hard alloy so don't have the 'bite' of the Aliens/ Totems which can be all important in those small marginal placements or in glassy rock. I would avoid the master cams if you climb on sea cliffs by the way.

pete D

#44 Re: Metolius Mastercam vs BD C3 vs BD X4??
    September 01, 2013, 08:43:18 pm
    Recommend the aliens from fixe. Build quality seems excellent. Bought mine from barrabes.com. Took about 10 days to arrive. Aliens have always been better than any other small cam around in my opinion (haven't seen the totem ones being talked about) due to the softer lobes that mean they stick better in flared placements. The drawback is the cams wear and can get mashed if fallen on a lot. My original blue (10 years old) is now the same size as my new black...

Fultonius

• forum hero
      • Photos

So, we managed to cobble together 1 x #4, 1 x #5 and 1 x#6 (old style). I got given the honours of THAT PITCH and it was pretty terrifying. Luckily James had brought along a novel idea to get the #3.5 to fit:

Anyway, back to the question about the cams.

In the end James bought a full rack of x4s up to the purple 0.5. We also had a 0, 00 and 000 C3 and a set of Totems and here are my thoughts:

The x4s are very well made and a thing of beauty. We both spent a lot of time just admiring how nicely the cams retracted and how smoothly flexible the heads were. No complaints there. The head width is a little wider than the totems (for similar sized cams) but in use this didn't seem to make a huge difference as they both were narrow enough to get into pin scars.

This is where the differences between the totems and the X4s became more apparent. Early on when we were still getting to grips with numerous, flared, manky pin scars we would try any cam that fitted and on a number of occasions the X4s either didn't feel too inspiring or actually ripped out with a firm tug. At this point we would then try a similar Totem cam and they pretty much stuck every time.

I can only remember one Totem pulling in the entire trip. We felt that this was due to the way the load is distributed between the pairs of cams, and the improved power in flares but that is mainly speculation. All I know is that they became the "go-to" cam. We carried no offsets and didn't ever feel like we should have.

That said, the little red X4 was an absolute godsend! We couldn't quite pin down what it was but it seemed to fit and hold in any pin scar that was too small for the blue Totem. The blue totem, yellow totem and red x4 were our most back-cleaned pieces by a long, long way.

As for the C3s. The narrow head is good and they held well in thin, parallel cracks. Obviously when you get to this small a cam it's important to find a part of the crack that doesn't open out in the back as its easy for the cams to walk a little and pop. I think I prefer the C3s aid climbing than on trad as I find they "pivot" around the central cam too much and can walk into poor placements. The small X4s are far superior for trad climbing due to this.

Ok, that's mainly "aid specific" opinion there, some additional thoughts for the traddies:-

The X4s and the Totems are similarly flexible. The X4s bend in a more elegant way (the Totems can look a bit funky when weighted) but on the whole there's not a huge difference. Both beat the C3s hands-down in that respect. Another area where the Totems edge ahead is when being placed. While both the X4s and Totems are similarly flexible, the Totems, in my opinion, are a bit easier to place due to a unique characteristic: When the trigger is pulled, the cam head stiffens up significantly. Often it would be easier to direct the head of the cam into an awkward placement with the Totem then the X4 as the X4 would be more inclined to deflect. Subtle, but important difference.

One downside of the Totems is they don't rack all that well. The stiff double sling and off-axis orientation mean they take up more space on the harness. Also, the round thumb loop on the X4 is a bit easier to locate when placing the cam under duress. All in, they're both very good but chose wisely depending on your preferences.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
    • forum hero
    I was very pleased with my set of Totems on my recent Welsh trad outing too. My partners all had sufficient smallish-to-medium cams that I had doubles whenever I felt I needed them, but if I felt the need to beef up my own rack I bit I would definitely now go for doubles in yellow to green Totems and not consider anything else (even though Dragons are immaculately built things of beauty)

Fiend

• _
    • forum hero
    • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
    • Whut
    I'm really liking the C3s and have used them on loads of trad this summer. I particularly like the narrow head (obviously!), the stiffness for placing them more accurately, and also changing the orientation of the 3 lobes seems to have more of an effect than with 4 lobes for optimising awkward placements. The only downside I've found is the lateral stiffness in the stem, but that's usually only an issue in placements that would have the stem too perpendicular anyway.

When I've borrowed friend's cams (badoom!), I've found Aliens far too floppy with too shallow lobes (almost as bad as zeros), Mastercams pretty nice but a friend had one seize completely on Orkney, only tried one Totem and it seems okay but they're bulky and there's 3 C3s below the smallest totem size.

Paul B

• forum hero
    A nice review of the Totem Cams from Mr Hudon:

http://www.mountaingear.com/themountainblog/2013/09/the-magic-cam/

If you can't be arsed to read it, just take a look at one holding in that flare!

ghisino

• forum abuser
    Played 5 mins with totems at the base of annot crags today.
    Very impressed, especially how they seem to bite in seemingly impossible placements...

Also think they'd need less extending than other cams.

On the downside they are so flexible that it is harder to "push" them in, probably not the best if the placement is a bomber splitter and you're in a hurry...

But i might go for the full set some time soon...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal