• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#26 Re: Natch i up barman!
April 02, 2013, 09:08:48 pm

Kent cider!?!

Just say no!

I nearly fell in to me apple masher

Its a cracker, so don't be racist  ;). Plus it makes me feel better for being "the man's biatch" in the past where I had to write EIA's justifying developments on really lovely small orchards in Kent.I was never in a situation where I was asked to promote the grubbing out of west country orchards for soulless housing developments, so I have no guilt that needs to be appeased!!  :sorry:

Duma

• forum hero
#27 Re: Natch i up barman!
June 08, 2013, 09:21:32 pm
Been enjoying the Orchard Pig of late, only bottles, but the reveller and truffler are both excellent.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#28 Re: Natch i up barman!
June 11, 2013, 12:34:55 pm
had a pint of some unpronoucable cider at the stockport beer festival a few weeks ago. it was very cloudy and tasty of cheese. lovely

andy_e

• forum hero
#29 Re: Natch i up barman!
June 11, 2013, 01:11:13 pm
Gwynt Y Ddraig?

JackAus

• junky
#30 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 04, 2013, 11:36:04 am
The usual fruity "ciders" are getting popular over here... But I've found a place that has Old Rosie in the flagons for only $20... Awesome!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#31 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 04, 2013, 07:27:43 pm
please take your fruity alcopops and perrys elsewhere, cider is made from apples and dead rodents

underground

• forum hero
#32 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 04, 2013, 10:02:37 pm
The usual fruity "ciders" are getting popular over here... But I've found a place that has Old Rosie in the flagons for only $20... Awesome!
Great stuff - you can save the sediment and culture proper cider yeast from it - make proper cider (malolactic fermentation) out of the cheap apple juice from Lidl, or whatever equivalent is in Aus. Just make sure it's 100% juice and nor preservatives etc.)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#33 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 10, 2013, 09:17:01 am
Cidre de France vs Good 'ol English hmm....

I like a good strong English cider, one of my favourite quick and simple dinners back home was a pork chop/steak "pan fried" ha! served with gnocchi. When the pork is done you lob cider into the hot pan, add wholegrain mustard and cream. Voilla you have a tasy dinner in around 10 minutes and you can enjoy it with the rest of the bottle of 7% cider. Hicup hicup!!

Whereas the French stuff doesn't quite have the sharpness for that recipe. Great on a sunny day though, we often by the 3% stuff for drinking at long BBQs when you want to drive home - can pretty much drink it for hours and stay legal!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 10, 2013, 09:28:29 am
have you got a breathalyser kit in the car, in accordance with current law? :)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#35 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 10, 2013, 09:58:38 am
have you got a breathalyser kit in the car, in accordance with current law? :)

2, as per the current law  :smartass:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#36 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 10, 2013, 10:30:13 am
Possibly one of the oddest ideas I've heard of in a while!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#37 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 10, 2013, 10:57:19 am
I don't trust them at all. I spent an afternoon at the Montreux Jazz festival having beers and other beverages, that eevening we wanted to move the van about 10m (which I would have done anyway - not on public roads) but decided to use our 3rd breathalyser (they were handing them out for free at the Mont Blanc tunnel) to see if I was over. Came up totally clean, but not convinced it was accurate. What if you drive after checking yourself and you then turn out to be over the limit? No comeback I suppose...

:alky:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#38 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 10, 2013, 09:45:58 pm
from AA site
January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

underground

• forum hero
#39 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 11, 2013, 12:37:20 am
from AA site
January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
I decided it was worth carrying a couple for the couple of fuck alls the pack cost just to avoid any additional aggro Le Babylon Francais might decide to cause in case of a pull over, after the hassle I had being questioned about 'you 'ave 'ashish? Even if you 'ave leetle bit, better tell me now, non?' at the peage coming back from Font many moons ago.

(I didn't, and hadn't had, but it didn't stop him holding the shooter rather menacingly and ripping up the passenger side carpet.)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#40 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 11, 2013, 11:31:48 am
You probably look a bit more respectable these days.

Dolly

• forum hero
#41 Re: Natch i up barman!
October 11, 2013, 11:36:27 am
Great stuff - you can save the sediment and culture proper cider yeast from it - make proper cider (malolactic fermentation) out of the cheap apple juice from Lidl, or whatever equivalent is in Aus. Just make sure it's 100% juice and nor preservatives etc.)
So how does this work then ?
You just add apple juice to the sediment and leave it for a bit in a plastic bottle with  a screw top lid ?

underground

• forum hero
#42 Re: Natch i up barman!
November 09, 2013, 01:46:22 am
So how does this work then ?
You just add apple juice to the sediment and leave it for a bit in a plastic bottle with  a screw top lid ?
[/quote]
Sorry Dolly, missed the question!

You can make 'turbo cider' really easily just by adding a sachet of champagne yeast (from Brewmart on Abbey Lane for you I guess) to a 5l spring water bottle and topping up with the basics apple juice, or the slightly dearer cloudy one from Lidl, leaving the 'curved' bit at the top empty to allow for foaming. What you lack though is the tannin from the skin and the malic acid from the tart cider apples. It'll fizz like a mofo for a week or two and end up completely dry i.e. all sugar converted and no residual sweetness. And probably taste rank and have no depth to it. Most folks use an airlock but they can be a pain to get airtight in the lid and recently I watched a vid where the guy just tightened the lid on to no ill effect as the plastic bottles are made to hold a lot of pressure anyway.
You can buy malic acid and tannin in tubs from brewmart but it's quite expensive and defeats the object a bit. Instead you can puree a cooking apple or three and add a mug of tea made with 5 teabags instead. I've made some reasonably drinkable stuff in this way and it definitely improves with age. Sweetening with yellow canderel works to some extent but the flavour is a bit cloying. You can't add much sugar to the bottle before sealing and storing as it'll continue to ferment and could blow up, or at least spray everywhere on opening.

But what you won't get is that proper buttery cider taste - malolactic fermentation is due to a bacterium rather than the yeast, and is a very slow process - you may be lucky and it happen naturally, maybe from the apple skins, but will have better luck with the old rosie .

If you pour the bottle really carefully you end up with a tiny bit of sediment (for beer you can do the same with unpaturised bottled ales like Bengal Lancer), and nowhere near enough to get a brew going on its own, and it'd be killed by the other yeasts if you supplemented it.
You have to gradually feed the cells with sugar and oxygen and get them multiplying, as too much sugar at the start can kill them too. So you basically put the sediment in a big erlenmeyer flask (or glass milk bottle) with a bit of sugar and water, in a warm place, covered in foil, and keep agitating. I made a stirrer plate out of n old PC case cooling fan and 2 magnets in a sarnie box whichkeeps it stirring and creates a vortex that pulls air in all the time. Eventually there'll be a lot of sediment in there and it's ready to use in the juice. Apparently when the ML is happening you see little 'sparkles' on the surface of the liquid - never seen it myself and tha last lot I tried went down the sink, but I think it was because I had no dark, cool place to put it and left it out in the light which isn't good for it. It makes beer turn 'skunky' so I'm told.

Just found the link I first followed
and one about Turbo cider

TBH I like the process and the mucking about, rather than expecting to make a proper cider out of it. I've had some amazing results making ales from grain though, and that's even easier providing you have a massive pan and a mesh bag available. I'm starting an 80 litre batch in the next month

SA Chris

• forum hero
#43 Re: Natch i up barman!
August 21, 2014, 08:18:19 am
http://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk/

All the ones I've tried so far have been excellent. Tasty and not overly sweet. The Whisky Cask one is particularly good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal