#25 Tripod, filters etc.
March 14, 2013, 02:37:07 pm
Yeah avoid the wingnut type.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 14, 2013, 02:41:42 pm
at altitude I've been shown examples with an almost black triangle in one part of the sky going through to light blue in others. I think you're pretty much OK for this above 24mm?

OK, I see what you are driving at now. Must admit it was never really a problem, but I was never taking any photos at a great height (apart from the bristlecone pine trees).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 14, 2013, 02:51:21 pm
Bad effects basically means its obvious you've used one. Up to 28mm uneven polarisation isn't usually obvious, beyond 24mm it usually is. If you are shooting verticals you can go to 21mm before it gets too bad. 17mm is very wide and you'll get strong banding whatever. Personally the times I'm tempted to go beyond 21mm are very rare (I've stopped carrying the 35mm for my Mamiya), and I'd never use a polariser.

Chris is right that altitude has an effect - blue skies are darker anyway, and the light is more polarised so polarisers have a stronger effect - to the extent of turning skies black at extreme altitude (5000m+). In California they are still usable even up at the Bristlecones, but as ever in photography exercising restraint is usually good.

I've got a load of Cokin P stuff too which you can borrow.

again, you sure?

Yes. If you trash them you can buy me some pints or something.

Paul B

• forum hero
#28 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 14, 2013, 05:42:29 pm
Thanks. If I 'cadge' Daves sawn-off holder and a few P-sized filters that should be enough (especially if I throw some blu-tack in there too). I take it the Cokin P and Hitech filters / holders are fairly interchangeable etc.

If anyone looks at this again and is interested in the Red Snapper units I mentioned earlier, RED10 gets you 10% off.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#29 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 14, 2013, 08:21:10 pm
Just had a look in the drawer and can't see the filters. Anyone remember me giving them out before?

dave

#30 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 14, 2013, 08:26:01 pm
I take it the Cokin P and Hitech filters / holders are fairly interchangeable etc.

Either filters fit in either holder (84 or 85mm). Or to put it another way, you can deffo use hitechs in a cokin holder, so the other way around should also work.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#31 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 15, 2013, 10:45:33 am
shot at 19mm with a cokin filter. i think you will struggle to file that off hahaha.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151531347840149&l=1ca5fe6dc9

Tom de Gay

• menacing presence
#32 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 15, 2013, 11:25:10 am
Had years of service out of my Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod legs. Was a bit unsure about the extra expense at the time, but if you're lugging them around all day, and especially flying with them, the weight reduction is worthwhile. You will need to weight them with a bag to make them more stable though.

Heads are a different matter. A lightweight ballhead was OK, but not very precise so ditched it and got the smaller 410 geared head; this was good while it lasted, but failed after a couple of years heavy use. Now onto the larger geared head, which is a bit of beast.

Paul B

• forum hero
#33 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 15, 2013, 04:54:48 pm
shot at 19mm with a cokin filter. i think you will struggle to file that off hahaha.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151531347840149&l=1ca5fe6dc9

I guess I'll see.

For the tripod I've gone for an alloy 4 section tripod with a fairly beefy ball head on it. I'll let you know if I've made the wrong choice when it arrives. I was severely tempted to go Carbon but with all of these costs at the minute (going travelling), I was simply unwilling.

I'll probably need to buy again at some point but that's fine, I've managed with a cheapo Argos one until now so anything would be an improvement (and if not I'll just crank the ISO up to silly numbers and size for web  :-[ ).

Cheers for all of the input. Now if I can direct your attention (shortly) towards the other thread begging for route recommendations, I'd be even more grateful (and owe even more imaginary beer  :icon_beerchug:).

Paul B

• forum hero
#34 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 26, 2013, 03:35:25 pm
Dave kindly left me a few filters in his sandpit which was this morning raided by the (Durham brewery) beer fairies (which shouldn't be stored anything other than standing).

For anyone else looking at this (or if anyone is interested). Using Daves sawn-off holder (very neat work), I don't get any hard vignetting when using one filter right down to 17mm, with some mild vignetting on either edge. I'm not too fussed about this, I can either tighten up or just crop (likely the latter).

Using it with my slim polariser is a whole different game and I lose up until around 24mm with 28 looking a lot better from my quick tests. My polariser+cokin seemed to be causing some funky banding / colour shift so I'll have to see how this works out in real use.

Tripod - I went with a deal from Red Snapper and I'm pleased. The head seems amazing. The legs have a couple of minor niggles, one being with the head I selected they don't really fit in the carry bag easily (boohoo), the second being that (and I'm guessing here) it must be cheaper to produce all the leg segments the same length. This would be fine if they hadn't included a spacer in one leg that turns it into a usable monopod making one leg longer than the others by a smidgin when fully extended. Not a major headache on uneven ground, but a bit of a pain if using it somewhere flat.

I can now see why everybody was suggesting Carbon, I simply couldn't stretch that far so look out for a set of good alloy legs in the for sale section in the coming years.

As usual, thanks to everyone who contributed/offered bits and bobs.

andy_e

• forum hero
#35 Re: Tripod, filters etc.
March 26, 2013, 03:40:11 pm
(Durham brewery)

Two minutes walk from my house... 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal