UKBouldering.com

The end of the NHS. (Read 195568 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#525 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 12:25:24 pm
I've been mightily fucked off with how the BBC have been handling this... Barracking the JDocs representative time after time that this was about pay - and him clearly responding every time that it was about safety/conditions. Like listening to Fox news....

Grr. Angry TomTom.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#526 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 12:55:36 pm
And the problem is not just limited to doctors.
A recent ward merge between an elderly and a stroke ward (sounds like a fab idea that, doesn't it?) at the missus' place was driven not because there was insufficient money to fund two distinct wards, but because they simply can't recruit the staff to run them both. I wonder which is more cost effective: to ship in a Spanish nurse whose first language is not English; or to make nursing seem a more attractive prospect to a young school-leaver?

And if the Spanish nurse has perfectly good English, what then? Because they too would be as cost effective in your example. I imagine.

We're part of Europe, with all the opportunities for working in other countries that the EU brings.

And 'ship in' implies a cargo, not a person with aspirations.

I missed this.

The comment about English not being a native language is not that important (though it still needs scrutiny. Passing a test on the Queen's English does not necessarily mean you will be able to converse fluently with a Bradfordian who was born and raised in West Bowling) and draws attention away from the real point - that it is inevitably more expensive to ship/bus/fly nurses from overseas to work here when you consider the relocation package.

abarro81

• forum hero
#527 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 01:09:50 pm
it is inevitably more expensive to ship/bus/fly nurses from overseas to work here when you consider the relocation package.

Got anything to back that up? Wouldn't surprise me if it's cheaper given that 1. you don't have to pay for the training and 2. you might be able to pay less.

webbo

• forum hero
#528 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 01:24:10 pm
If they are Nurses working for an NHS trust, they would have to be paid under agenda for change pay scales.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#529 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 01:38:13 pm
it is inevitably more expensive to ship/bus/fly nurses from overseas to work here when you consider the relocation package.

Got anything to back that up? Wouldn't surprise me if it's cheaper given that 1. you don't have to pay for the training and 2. you might be able to pay less.

I had been about to say that I think employment law would preclude you from paying less - but Webbo has just come up with some fact.

It costs something like 70k to train a nurse in the UK.

Consider that foreign nationality nurses are likely to be young, single, and relatively inexperienced in the profession. They are likely to return home if and when their home governments relax austerity and they can get jobs there again, or they get bored of the UK, or they want to return home to start a family. When they leave they take the experience they have gained on the job with them and you have to start again with somebody new.

If we were training enough of our own nurses to develop and act as more experienced mentors to newer recurits who are filling the odd gap then this might be sustainable. Unfortunately we are training precious few nurses, and this is possibly associated with the fact that jobs in nursing, and the NHS as a whole, are looking very unattractive to bright young things today.

abarro81

• forum hero
#530 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 01:52:02 pm

Consider that foreign nationality nurses are likely to be young, single, and relatively inexperienced in the profession. They are likely to return home if and when their home governments relax austerity and they can get jobs there again, or they get bored of the UK, or they want to return home to start a family. When they leave they take the experience they have gained on the job with them and you have to start again with somebody new.

If we were training enough of our own nurses to develop and act as more experienced mentors to newer recurits who are filling the odd gap then this might be sustainable. Unfortunately we are training precious few nurses, and this is possibly associated with the fact that jobs in nursing, and the NHS as a whole, are looking very unattractive to bright young things today.

Good point

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#531 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 20, 2015, 11:36:56 pm
I've been mightily fucked off with how the BBC have been handling this... Barracking the JDocs representative time after time that this was about pay - and him clearly responding every time that it was about safety/conditions. Like listening to Fox news....

Grr. Angry TomTom.

Actually, I heard an interview with Jeremy Hunt on the (BBC) radio yesterday.  He was crucified, and they made him sound like a real pecker.  Asking him over and over again why he wouldn't talk to the doctors via the conciliation service.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#532 Re: The end of the NHS.
November 24, 2015, 02:39:01 pm
His 'negotiations' involved 23 points in which the doctors reps had to agree to 22 in advance. He banged on and on about the 11% on basic pay but said nothing about stuff like increments going, reduced rates for evening and Saturday work, the effect on those taking time out for maternity, and the bit that seems to bug even the bluest tory voting Junior Doctors... removal of safety mechanisms so exploitation could get worse. He lied over and over about most junior doctors being better off and how safety would definitely improve... how can this be if the costs are flat or reduced and the protections were diluting??. All this is in the context of criticism from his own previous tory (ex GP) Junior Minister saying that they pretty much had a deal last year. In terms of 24 hour working they do it anyway so the real problem in the NHS is elsewhere (esp consultants). So as its not the money or 24 hours but as recruitment is arguably at crisis levels, the motivation for such a potentially damaging dispute is unfathomable. 98% for a group like junior doctors on that sort or turnout is unheard of.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#534 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 15, 2016, 05:49:12 pm
At least someone sees the funny side:
NHS Networks weekly news
RL
Robinson Lynn - Deputy Head of Contracting and Performance <Lynn.Robinson@nottshc.nhs.uk>
Fri 15/01/2016 4:32 PM
To:
Clark, Steve;

Read the blog and then the top story!

Lynn Robinson
Deputy Head of Contracting and Performance
Local Services Division

Tel:        0115 9691300 (Ext 11345)
Mobile:  0797 9111912

"From: NHS Networks [mailto:websupport@networks.nhs.uk]
Sent: 15 January 2016
Subject: NHS Networks weekly news

Picket line: do not cross

There is no blog this week due to an industrial dispute.

We have reached agreement over 14 of the 15 disputed paragraphs but cannot agree which one we still disagree about.

The details are extremely complicated, so unless you’re very clever or have a lot of time on your hands (the leader of a doctors’ union or a minister of state, for instance) you won’t be able to get your head round it.

All the evidence suggests that the day the blog comes out corresponds with an increase in mortality compared with the previous day, thanks to the number of people who die in the intervening period.

According to the government, there is a clear link between these deaths and the appearance of the blog. A new contract is expected to sort it all out.

In a statement, the government said: “We made a clear manifesto commitment to deliver a seven-day week and that’s exactly what this government has done ever since we were elected. We’re not going to let a bunch of lefty doctors stop us.”   

Sir Bruce Keogh has agreed to review the evidence for blog-related mortality. The blog will re-appear once both sides have been assured that the safety of NHS staff and patients will not be compromised.

The editor could not be reached for comment. According to a report in The Sun, he was last seen leaving BMA House in his Bentley en route to a cocktail party in Belgravia with his champagne swilling junior doctor chums.

A spokesman for the BMA said: “We’re very close to understanding what the dispute is all about. If you find out before we do, please let us know.”

Guest editor: Junior Patterson

@jtweeterson

julian.patterson@networks.nhs.uk"

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#535 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 10:05:37 am
Interesting stuff about the LMC special conference yesterday, the first since 2003 which says a lot.

Plenty about primary care being on the brink, services becoming unsafe, funding poor, workload increasing.  150,000 more appointments each day in England compared to five years ago, but no more funding. Less than 40p per patient per day for unlimited access. The only other part of the system that doesn't get "full" is A&E and they get paid per attendance, and a lot more per visit than primary care is funded per patient per year. Workforce crisis worsening with many GPs saying they will leave within five years.

The big news that the conference overwhelmingly voted to ballot on mass resignation if nothing changes within six months.

And what is in the papers?  I've seen one article about "GP leader demands government stops penny pinching" followed by loads of comments about £100k+ salaries and lazy GPs.

If you have any interest, I'd suggest a browse around this

I think the public are being kept in the dark about a lot of this, on purpose. Why can't you get an appointment? Because of this why can't you get to see the GP you know?  Because of this. Etc etc ad infinitum.

And it's only going to get worse unless drastic action is taken. People need to understand it's not just about the money, or the huge demand, or the workforce. It's not safe, and it's not sustainable.

And it's getting hidden away.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#536 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 10:38:29 am
The number of junior Dr friends who are leaving the country is pretty overwhelming too. No one really wants to do it anymore. The trusts cover up seriously unsafe conditions and won't hesitate to point the finger of blame at you. The amount of spin and lack of factual information the government has put on all of this has given me motion sickness.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#538 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 11:05:12 am
yeah, complete idiot. But you know, so long as you aren't affected or anything... :shrug:

If GP's went on strike A&E would be mental.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#539 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 11:31:23 am
I can't see beyond the first few paragraphs but her stall is clearly set out by then.

The point is that what superficially appears to be idiotic is written by an educated and literate writer whose copy has been passed by editorial consent, so its effect is carefully aimed.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#540 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 11:38:04 am
Precisely - there is an agenda set here.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#541 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 12:26:19 pm
Definately seems like an agenda, I don't know about others on here but my last 2 GP surgery's have emergency appointments (Hollies Med Centre and the Sloan Med centre).

My recent dealings with the NHS have been amazing in all bar 1 thing: On Friday I called in 2 ask for a home visit due to excruciating pain in my leg following on from a microdiscectomy 7 days prior. Within 1 hour GP arrived, checked me out and gave me a script. This was where the error occurred, he hadn't put the quantity of pills down. But within 30 minutes of discovering the error I had got through to 111, talked to someone who understood what I was saying, and then got the GP Collaborative of at the NGH to ring me and 1 hour later a new script was ready for pick up at the late opening chemist (which is luckily at bottom of t'road). This being a Saturday.

So yes the Govt are doing their best to remove the NHS but at the moment the troops are playing a blinder (excuse the mixed metaphor!) and I have nowt but praise.

BTW it is not just the end of the NHS, it is the end of the state as we know it. Thursday's announcement of BIS shutting it's Sheffield office and then the Minister letting slip that it was about losing jobs NOT re-locating to economise was yet another example of how Francis Maud is shutting down the Civil Service to replace it with highly politicised teams of consultants. We are already seeing the Govt losing lots of legal challenges to new laws due to unseeming haste in pushing stuff through, this will get worse.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#542 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 12:54:36 pm
Definately seems like an agenda, I don't know about others on here but my last 2 GP surgery's have emergency appointments (Hollies Med Centre and the Sloan Med centre).

We have between 40 and 60 on the day ("emergency") appointments Monday to Friday, and 8-12 on Saturdays.  The ones in the week always go plus more extras, the Saturday ones rarely do.  I doubt we are much different to others.

EDIT:  One thing people forget is that GP services aren't emergency services.  They can offer booked appointments, visits when practical or sit and wait clinics, but there isn't the ability to walk in and be seen just like that.  This seems to be an assumption a lot of people have.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#543 Re: The end of the NHS.
January 31, 2016, 01:00:23 pm

BTW it is not just the end of the NHS, it is the end of the state as we know it.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#544 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 01, 2016, 06:26:50 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#545 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 10, 2016, 11:59:42 am
Does anyone understand the government’s plan for the NHS? by     Martin McKee, Professor of European Public Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK

(He doesn't understand the plans)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#547 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 10, 2016, 12:38:11 pm
When's the revolution booked in for?

Oh, that's right. Never. Rupert Murdoch is still alive and has secured his legacy of world domination through little James, and Jeremy Corbyn is leader of the Labour party.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#548 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 10, 2016, 12:41:40 pm
Absolutely, but if we don't even try them we are complicit.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#549 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 10, 2016, 01:42:30 pm
I would think one of two things might happen.

Contract imposed - some leave but enough stay to keep the NHS running on (even more) blood sweat and tears.

Contract imposed - No one takes up medicine at university, everyone leaves the country as soon as they can. Hospitals look something like 28 days later.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal