UKBouldering.com

The end of the NHS. (Read 196693 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#425 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 04, 2015, 08:57:59 pm
I usually close my office door and besides we're excellent employers.

webbo

• forum hero
#426 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 04, 2015, 09:04:48 pm
I usually close my office door and besides we're excellent employers.
:-\

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#427 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 05, 2015, 08:59:17 am
End of the line
News and Comment from Roy Lilley

I've done the joke but in case you missed it; A Martian lands and says 'We'd like to copy your NHS, take me to the leader....' The little green man gives up and goes home. No one has any idea who the leader is.

The DH used to be in charge. The Carbuncle tries to make out it is in charge. Monitor can't figure out how much to charge, the CQC charge around like a bull in a china shop and the TDA... forget them.

I thought about the joke as I was reading about the Public Accounts Committee latest NHS bash. Margaret Hodge, the chair, says her biggest worry (really?) is NHS finances and points out; the proportion of NHS trusts and foundation trusts in deficit increased from 10% in 2012-13 to 26% in 2013-14. Her calculations are probably behind the curve; I reckon if the NHS had to balance its books tonight 2/3rds couldn't do it.

We are in a Kafka world.
There is not enough money in the system and Trusts are punished if they overspend.
They have to overspend to get staffing levels up to new 'safe' standards.
As there are not enough staff in the system they have to go to agencies to buy-in the same staff they once employed in the NHS, now at twice the price.
Many Docs and nurses don't want to work in the system because being an agency staffer creates flexibility and freedom not found in the consolidated ranks who are pressured, shoved around and the butt of everyone's ire.
Hospitals can't find enough staff and the CQC spend a fortune (that could be used on patient care), turn up with 80 people (who could be working in the NHS providing care) and say; 'You don't have enough staff, therefore this place is dangerous and we want new leadership'.

New leaders are found who hire more staff and overspend. Monitor (who spend a fortune that could be spent on patient care) turn up with an army (who should be working in the NHS) and say you have overspent and we want new leadership.

New leaders are found who balance the books by cutting the staffing levels and the CQC turn up and say; 'You don't have enough staff, we want new leadership'. The old leader gets the sack and .... around we go again.

If someone was I charge, would this happen? Would we continue to play this mad game of pass the parcel of responsibility? I don't think so.

The Carbuncle has to find efficiency, Monitor has to find a way to spread cash around the system and the CQC has to find fault. The DH has to find ways of pretending this isn't happening. None of them has to find a system wide solution. They exist to make life difficult for each other so they can say they are doing their bit.

I was thinking about all this when I bumped into Jane. I know her Mum; runs a scout group. I met Jane on the train into London. She lives in my neck of the woods but works in a London hospital because she gets paid more. She is a nurse; followed her Mum into a profession she loved.   Her Gran was a nurse, too.

'How you doing?'

I'm leaving...

A story of pressure, travel, anxiety, worry, exhaustion and rush unravelled.

'There is not enough money, they are cutting everything they can... not enough staff on the wards... unless the CQC turn up... then agency people come in and the managers come on the wards... give out the tea. I hate it. They all run around like headless chickens.  No one is in charge. There's no time to do anything properly.'

'What are you going to do?'

'I've got a job at the Meadows'.

...a huge shopping centre. Jane, will earn more, with family friendly hours and a discount on food and clothes. M&S is her new employer.

I looked at the pale, exhausted youngster in front of me. Her blue eyes welled; 'I don't want to but... we want to get our own place and start a family... and... I don't know how I'm going to tell Mum...' Her voice tailed off and she sunk into her brown scarf and puffa-jacket.

The train pulled into Waterloo. The end of the line. 

------------------------
  Contact Roy - please use this e-address
roy.lilley@nhsmanagers.net
Know something I don't - email me in confidence.
Leaving the NHS, changing jobs - you don't have to say goodbye to us! You can update your Email Address from the link you'll find right at the bottom of the page, and we'll keep mailing.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#428 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 07:37:10 am
Look what the fuckwit left-wing morons in this so called thinktank have come up with now  :slap:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/06/nhs-reforms-tories-damaging-thinktank-kings-fund

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#429 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 08:08:37 am
"Led by GPs" is a bit misleading too......

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#430 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 10:28:02 am
Found this TED talk as well

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#431 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 10:47:07 am
I am sure Mrs Sloper prefers me to vent spleen and decompress on here then be a stroppy bastard at home.

And I'm pretty sure that the majority of UKBs regular denizens would rather you are a stroppy bastard at home than ranting on here.

If you want kill five minutes venting/ranting/arguing/"bantz" you'd fit right in to /r/ukpolitics.

Sloper

• forum hero
#432 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 11:02:37 am
Look what the fuckwit left-wing morons in this so called thinktank have come up with now  :slap:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/06/nhs-reforms-tories-damaging-thinktank-kings-fund

When have I ever called the Kings Fund that?  I'm more than happy to accept their critique and conclusions here just as I am happy to accept their views elsewhere. 

No face slap required, just a little maturity and consideration.

webbo

• forum hero
#433 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 12:23:21 pm
Looks like someones hacked slopers account.

Sloper

• forum hero
#434 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 06, 2015, 12:33:10 pm
Oi Florence, back on the ward.

There normal service has been resumed.

I've also just finished the big matter I've been working on so happy days.

by the way COME ON YOU TAFFS

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#435 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 07, 2015, 09:16:48 am
The Kings Fund may now be critical of the changes that have been made to the NHS, but Clive Peedell highlights this from the report suggesting they helped the bill get through...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#436 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 07, 2015, 09:26:12 am
Turns out I'll be meeting that Dixon later this year

I'll have a word

I'll try to drop something in about Sasquatch doing Mandala

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#437 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 07, 2015, 01:26:16 pm
The Kings Fund may now be critical of the changes that have been made to the NHS, but Clive Peedell highlights this from the report suggesting they helped the bill get through...

I think the critics of the Kings Fund  often have their own axe to grind but they are worth reading to keep feet on the ground. Of course one could say one beleives everything TKF say whilst ignoring the occasional nuanced differences inside and cherry picking the bits that suit one's argument.

Another link putting Kings Fund into a different perspective:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/gary-walker/kings-fund-suggests-nhs-fees-but-is-it-really-independent

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#438 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 09, 2015, 10:31:19 am
The latest from Roy (evdidence links missing):

Via a tweet there appears to be an archive of Lilley's emails.  These include embedded links when he cites/quotes things.  Might be slightly more useful to readers/those interested and save you the hassle of copying and pasting from your email.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#439 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 09, 2015, 01:51:41 pm
Cheers: this one is Feb 9th. Ill modify and add the link later but Ive copied here as it's his response to the KF announcement and Ham:

"Nearly finished"

News and Comment from Roy Lilley

Chris Ham's King's Fund report, demolishing the NHS reforms, is excellent. But, like the 99 bus... a bit late.

In the turbulent days of 2010, healthcare's front line, commentators, academics, practitioners, politicians, Royal Colleges, unions and the public railed against the Health and Social Care Bill.

Then the KF wrote opaquely; "The King's Fund strongly supports the aims of the White Paper" and "... there are potential benefits if the reforms are implemented effectively" (and) ...significant risks if they are not" and "... there are strong arguments for moving quickly to test out how key elements... work in practice..." and "The organisation of the NHS could be progressively streamlined..."

Streamlined! Functioning organisations annihilated, replaced with a myriad of little ones, institutions demolished and senior people lost along with their a legacy, experience, history and knowledge. With one common-sense voice the NHS said; 'No!' What did the KF say?
They hid behind Don Berwick (Page 11). http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/files/kf/field/field_publication_file/liberating-nhs-right-prescription-cold-climate-oct10.pdf

The NHS has been ploughed up and nothing that was planted to replace it is growing.

KF's Ham now says; the NHS is "crying wolf" with "ill-founded" claims about privatisation. Rubbish. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29620329

Anyway, the NHS has always worked with private partners! But, carving out chunks of hard pressed services, gifting them to private companies, transferring NHS staff, unwillingly, into their ranks, to provide identical services just to create a profit opportunity has a touch of the King George about it...

We asked; if the private sector gets fed up or fails ... what happens? It took Southern Cross, Circle, Serco, a number of dodgy nursing homes and BUPA to show us. The NHS picks up the pieces.

Whilst all of us were saying all of that Chris Ham accused decent working people who had genuine concerns of grand-standing. Well, Chris, I'm pleased that there were people with the guts and the courage to stand in the grandstand and shout and boo, stamp their feet and chant. I'm amazed there wasn't a pitch invasion.

Ham is wrong about privatisation. The fear is not privatisation it is the fear of privatisation failure. Fears that have been realised. There is not enough money in the contracts for private companies to do a decent job and make a profit.

It's all about the money. Tarzan's pact with Porrima is predicated on extra money for efficiency gains. Trusts have given Monitor a two fingered salute. They can't and won't work with the proposed tariff. That pretty well ends Tarzan's hopes of efficiency gains and puts the 5YFV in doubt. Traditionally, the NHS delivers 1.5% pa efficiency. What hope is there of 3% without root and branch changes and major investment.

Ham says present focus on quality and integrated care is to be welcomed. After 15 years of inspection there is no evidence services are any safer. In fact, under such pressure, they are probably getting worse. Health and social care still march to a different drumbeat because no one has the courage to merge their regiments.

What are the common-sense voices of the NHS saying today?  This is what I hear, repeatedly:
•   Dump Monitor, there is no market in healthcare and no prospect of one. Put the money into the front line.
•   Bulldoze the TDA; being an FT is an artificial distinction. FTs are just as skint and capable of poor care as the rest. Put the money into the front line.
•   Halve the number of CCGs and stop them tendering everything (they are terrified not to). Contracting costs around £16m and the money is better used at the front line.
•   Move, immediately, to population based, capitated budgets and get the money into the front line.
•   Cut admin and bureaucracy costs; use service level agreements to leverage front-line performance and quality.
•   One last heave-ho; vertically integrate primary, secondary and community services, include social care and focus on end2end services... start with the patient facing front-line and work backwards.

Chris Ham wants to get the KF on the right side of history; it never was. I know it, you know it and he knows it and his report has hacked a lot of good people right off.  This and this have been doing the rounds on Twitter, as well as this.
https://twitter.com/cpeedell/status/564095785663758336/photo/1
https://twitter.com/cpeedell/status/563841263854956545/photo/1 http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmpublic/health/memo28june/hsr07.htm

The reforms were a mare's nest and pretty well every organisation came right out and said so, except the King's Fund who were impenetrable, ambiguous, equivocal and mostly missing.

Ham may see a lot of us (and I include myself) as grand-standers but it's a whole lot better than being a by stander.

But, it's not all bad; the KF does sell exceedingly good chocolate muffins and their refurbished cafeteria is nearly finish.

Contact Roy - please use this e-address
roy.lilley@nhsmanagers.net
Know something I don't - email me in confidence.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#440 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 09, 2015, 01:55:28 pm

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#441 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 07:32:01 am
Why are part-time female partners a problem?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#442 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 08:52:52 am
How is that different from any other area of employment?  :shrug:

Can't actually read more than the opening paragraph in the second 2015 article, but if they're both suggesting that the deficit is made up through visas for doctors trained abroad to come and work here how does that differ from other clinical roles where foreign doctors make up a deficit in staff levels (if my lay/crude understanding is correct)?

One solution, albeit with significant lag, might be to make training to become a doctor more appealing to youngsters considering going to University, but thats a potential  :worms: given the state of higher education funding these days.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#443 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 11:30:51 am
It's a minor part of the whole shit storm, but it means less people are full time contractors so the current system is on the brink of failure.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#444 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 11:38:21 am
Have zero-hour contracts started creeping into the NHS yet?

Quite a few people are on less than full time contracts where I'm currently working, and there are more females than males taken advantage of the flexibile work/life balance it affords.  It just means more of them are employed (i.e. 1 full-time == 2 x 0.5 Full Time Equivalent).  I don't see why women are or should be singled out for wanting such a work/life balance.

Each to their own, but I work to live, and don't live to work.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#445 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 12:52:15 pm
What is being highlighted is that the number of places for GP training is (fairly) static, but the proportion of places going to women has increased and an increasing proportion of those work LTFT. It's not a blame thing, it's just maths that there are less sessions of GP time available and it will continue to shrink.
I don't blame them. I'd be gone if I could afford it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#446 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 12:59:04 pm
Thanks, that explains a bit more clearly why its a problem (amazed you recalled my question from almost two years ago).

webbo

• forum hero
#447 Re: The end of the NHS.
February 26, 2015, 05:16:02 pm
Have zero-hour contracts started creeping into the NHS yet?

Quite a few people are on less than full time contracts where I'm currently working, and there are more females than males taken advantage of the flexibile work/life balance it affords.  It just means more of them are employed (i.e. 1 full-time == 2 x 0.5 Full Time Equivalent).  I don't see why women are or should be singled out for wanting such a work/life balance.

Each to their own, but I work to live, and don't live to work.
Zero hour contracts have been in the NHS since the year dot. It's called the bank, you sign up to it then they ring you to offer you shifts. If and when they are short of staff, which these days is all the time.

Sloper

• forum hero

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#449 Re: The end of the NHS.
March 10, 2015, 10:33:22 am
Several charities in my area have boasted how they can undercut NHS or private bids as they dont have to deal with the same strict terms and conditions. Scum exist in all the sectors so there need to be strict rules and penalties to stop such behaviour.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal