UKBouldering.com

Benchmarking again (Read 13050 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Benchmarking again
February 28, 2013, 11:34:05 pm
Hi all,

I have made my own benchmarking form on https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1doSSysItq2iiTZ92eu3J7iaLgg9Pe5M_8mo3hlgOAAk/viewform

Before I release the form to the general public (or a more general public at any rate) I'd be happy if someone took the time to look at it and see what they think. Are the instructions clear? Is there something missing? (I would for instance like to add an endurance or strength test for lower back / core but I can't think of one that is simple enough)

I don't mind people answering and guessing the answer to mandatory questions they don't know the answer to.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#1 Re: Benchmarking again
February 28, 2013, 11:47:43 pm
How much weight can you deadlift? 

Filled out and submitted :)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 12:02:04 am
Thanks!

I was thinking about deadlift, but I guess most climbers I know don't have a clue to what they can deadlift, and it require quite a lot of special equipment to measure....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 08:04:20 am
Looks good, very useful having height/weight in both metric/imperial and font/vgrades (some didn't bother reading the text or were too lazy to do the conversion themselves for the last survey).

This will likely seem pedantic (not that that will surprise anyone), but I'm strongly opposed to categorising continuous variables such as time, size of holds and additional weight for various reasons such as loss of statistical power and precision of estimates in models, arbitrary categorisation, and quite importantly the false assumption that within categories relationships are linear which they won't be (someone who can have 11kg of additional weight will be different from someone who can have 20kg of additional weight).  These are all nicely summarised with references/citations here*.

I don't mind people answering and guessing the answer to mandatory questions they don't know the answer to.

I guess the rationale here is to have as complete a set of data as possible, one of the problems when I came to try and model/analyse the data of the last survey was that there just weren't enough people who'd completed all fields (and in statistical models you generally need a minimum of 10, but ideally 20 individuals for each predictor you are including in your model if you want meaningfully accurate estimates without massive confidence intervals).  However, I'd strongly caution against including guesses to unknown answers, you may end up with people sticking their grades in but not knowing any of the training performance (or
not being inclined to find them out) and guessing at all of them.  Its a situation of garbage in, garbage out, although I guess in defence of this you could go with John Tukey who said...

Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often vague, than the exact answer to the wrong question, which can always be made precise.

...but I think these are perhaps the right questions already. :devangel:

Good luck :2thumbsup:

* Obviously this has never stopped people doing it in the past and the practice still continues, it doesn't mean its a sensible thing to do.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 08:11:06 am
Thanks!

I had some input from an experienced coach for comp-climbers.  He suggested that I added more detail to hours trained, which seems like a good idea.

Edge depths in tricky.  For the half crimp the rounded part of the edge should not be measured if the fingers are not in contact with the surface there, but most people hold either pinky or index a bit more open than the other fingers when using the half crimp grip.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#5 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 08:15:28 am
I'd also like to point out that the survey is in a beta-state, and is going to change based on comments and what people enter into the form.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#6 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 09:21:49 am
I doubt there is much meaning in collecting data that vastly higher precision than can be measured.  Most people measuring themselfs will not know weather the edge is 15 or 16 mm, or how much their clothes are weighting, if the edge is slightly in-cut or sloping etc etc.

For comparison it probably makes sense to pool the data into even fewer cohorts

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 09:27:24 am
I kind of disagree, its piss easy to take a tape measure to an edge, stand on some scales or use a stop watch to measure time in seconds.

The issue of how rounded/sharp an edge is is indeed trickier.

For comparison it probably makes sense to pool the data into even fewer cohorts

Its very easy to go from continuous > categories > even fewer categories, but impossible to go in the reverse direction once you've collected your data.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:33:16 am by slackline »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#8 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 09:54:09 am
Edge depths in tricky.  For the half crimp the rounded part of the edge should not be measured if the fingers are not in contact with the surface there, but most people hold either pinky or index a bit more open than the other fingers when using the half crimp grip.

Perhaps the Beastmaker holds should be adopted as the climbing training equivalent of the Greenwich Meridian.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#9 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 09:59:46 am
A big thanks to the test-pilots who tried to fill in the form!

So far there is very little variance. The five that filled in the form are all men with almost exactly the same climbing grade on everything and they can hang from about the same size edge, doing approximately the same numbers of pull-ups (in my coarse stratas), and have all, bar one, average to good oxygen uptake.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#10 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 10:04:50 am

Perhaps the Beastmaker holds should be adopted as the climbing training equivalent of the Greenwich Meridian.

I don't have access to a Beastmaker, and I think that is true for many. (I have contacts in far flung places that I hope are willing to distribute the test).  But if there is lots of data to be had I am all ears.

For those who do not have access to a 16 mm edge to do the testing on I added the option of the smallest metoliuos rung (which I don't have access to right now either, but from memory it should be slightly harder to hang than a 16 mm flatty - but not by much).

Do you have a suggestion for a BM-grip that is about equivalent to a 16 mm flatty? I can add them for people that don't have access to either.  Are there several kinds of BM? Which is the most popular?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#11 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 10:29:29 am

I don't have access to a Beastmaker, and I think that is true for many. (I have contacts in far flung places that I hope are willing to distribute the test).  But if there is lots of data to be had I am all ears.

For those who do not have access to a 16 mm edge to do the testing on I added the option of the smallest metoliuos rung (which I don't have access to right now either, but from memory it should be slightly harder to hang than a 16 mm flatty - but not by much).

Do you have a suggestion for a BM-grip that is about equivalent to a 16 mm flatty? I can add them for people that don't have access to either.  Are there several kinds of BM? Which is the most popular?

Maybe not such a good idea as getting equivalents to the beastmaker is tricky because not only are they rounded at the lip but also rounded at the back so your fingers stick in further.

The number 5 slot is about 25mm and the number 10 edge is around 6/7mm. The middle 14 slot is around 16mm but obviously you can't hang it two handed and similarly the pockets don't accommodate all your fingers.

http://ukbouldering.com/media/images/bm.jpg

For benchmarking, though not necessarily training, Eva's board is a better internationally available option.

Well constructed survey BTW    :2thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:36:23 am by shark »

abarro81

• forum hero
#12 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 10:56:55 am
Do you mind me asking what the point in collecting this data is? What will you gain from having it? My thought would be that people would look at it to say "oh, to climb 8c I need to be able to hang this edge with x kgs on" and focus on that when we all know that's not quite how getting better at climbing works.

John Gillott

• addict
#13 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 10:57:58 am

Maybe not such a good idea as getting equivalents to the beastmaker is tricky because not only are they rounded at the lip but also rounded at the back so your fingers stick in further.

The number 5 slot is about 25mm and the number 10 edge is around 6/7mm. The middle 14 slot is around 16mm but obviously you can't hang it two handed and similarly the pockets don't accommodate all your fingers.

For benchmarking, though not necessarily training, Eva's board is a better internationally available option.

? I make the number 10 edge about 14/16mm rather than 6/7. Similarly, the number 5 is > 25mm. As stated on the Lopez threads, the 10 edge on a Beastmaker is a little bit conditions dependent re producing reliable measures of progress on a session-by-session basis, but does this matter so much? A weekly average is probably good enough?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#14 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 11:25:11 am
Do you mind me asking what the point in collecting this data is? What will you gain from having it? My thought would be that people would look at it to say "oh, to climb 8c I need to be able to hang this edge with x kgs on" and focus on that when we all know that's not quite how getting better at climbing works.

Curiosity. Most importantly perhaps, I try to construct a useful self-evaluation test which people can use to track their own progress on certain aspects of climbing and training for climbing.

However certain physicals variables have explanatory power for the variance in climbing performance; this is known. Having data on this can help people identifying glaringly weak or strong points.

I am also curious about certain correlations which I have found in the literature (e.g. number of pull-ups is correlated to sport climbing performance for women but not for men).

One of the things I am most curious about is the distribution of training hours put into bouldering and roped climbing, and how this correlates with stated goals (my hypothesis is that they are not correlated at all, at least not for old hands).

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#15 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 11:53:14 am
After more input from people I have added a requested form for estimating the continuous climbing grade, the lactic threshold, the route "stamina", bouldering "stamina", and how hard individual moves the climber can do.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#16 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 12:45:45 pm

? I make the number 10 edge about 14/16mm rather than 6/7. Similarly, the number 5 is > 25mm.

I wasn't including the bevel/chamfer which illustrates the point about the difficulty in getting an equivalent.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#17 Re: Benchmarking again
March 01, 2013, 04:59:34 pm
One of the things I am most curious about is the distribution of training hours put into bouldering and roped climbing, and how this correlates with stated goals (my hypothesis is that they are not correlated at all, at least not for old hands).
If you really want to understand this relationship, you may want to add more questions regarding the individuals climbing history.  I.e. how long have they been climbing?, what is their lifetime best?, when they achieved that best how many hours were they training?, How many years were they at or near that max?, etc. 

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#18 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 07:24:30 am
Stevie is right....

This is how relative pullup-strenght is correlated to the grade the respondents can redpoint within 5 tries:

Spearman rank-correlation coefficient=0.7610944.
The alternative hypothesis, that the stronger a climber is on pullups, the worse he* is at fast redpoints may be true with probabillity 1- 0.9859 = 1.41% probability.

(Admittedly N is too small yet to state anything really)

https://plus.google.com/photos/111272204514144637665/albums/5851384292854470257?authkey=CJbB5YaetbCqggE

-----------
Note: only male respondents so far.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 07:54:15 am
 :off: Thats not how hypothesis testing and probabilities should be interpreted. :off:

(Scatter plots would show the relationship better, histograms like that don't show if the one of the two people who can hang 5.5mm edges is the person who can RP Sport 8c)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:24:22 am by slackline »

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#20 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 09:38:46 am
:off: Thats not how hypothesis testing and probabilities should be interpreted. :off:

(Scatter plots would show the relationship better, histograms like that don't show if the one of the two people who can hang 5.5mm edges is the person who can RP Sport 8c)

Of course not.  I only shown the histograms, so far.  Scatterplots make no sense yet, to few respondents.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 09:54:43 am
Scatterplots make no sense yet, too few respondents.

Then there seems little point in calculating/reporting (non-parametric) correlation at this point either.

:off: An aside, since the plots look like they might have been done in R is this very useful tutorial on using ggplot2 I came across the other day, a brilliant graphics engine if you are plotting things in R.  :off:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#22 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 10:50:29 am
Scatterplots make no sense yet, too few respondents.

Then there seems little point in calculating/reporting (non-parametric) correlation at this point either.

I was facetious I'm afraid.  I have done half of the scripting, and checked it on the responds so far, and the p-value just jumped out from the various cor.tests. (I very much doubt they are that strongly correlated in reality.)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 10:58:07 am
If you're doing multiple two-way comparisons you will of course need to adjust your threshold for accepting statistical significance to account for the problem of multiple testing as it increases the chance of making a Type I Error (ie. false positive).

BTW your Alternative Hypothesis (H1) is that the stronger a climber is on pull-ups, the higher their redpoint grade.  Its antonym is the Null Hypothesis (H0) that there is no relationship between how strong a climber is on pull-ups and their red-point grade.  A p-value tells you how likely you are to observe the results by chance alone (ie. if the Null hypothesis is true).  But this is not the place to be giving statistics classes, as its all written in many books and web-sites far better than I have the time or inclination to explain it.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#24 Re: Benchmarking again
March 04, 2013, 12:13:04 pm
I think I am aware of the difference between two-sided testing, one-sided testing, and is also aware the risk of false positives in large datasets. But thanks anyway!

(I have not studied more statistics than absolutely necessary to get by, but I have a decent understanding of probability-theory, at least in the context of stochastic processes, especially if they are martingales with respect to a filtration)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal