UKBouldering.com

just a thought (crash and burn probably) (Read 5883 times)

crimp

just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 01:50:21 pm
Hi

just an idea. Probably shit and get shot down in flames.

On the condition reports forum we have the occasional bristol region notices scattered about (the bristol chapter does seem to be a relatively small, but fiercely lively and committed wing of the UKB massive).

As posts for our region tend to more spaced, would it be a good idea to have a bristol area child board in condition reports, so they'll all be in one place?

Covering all crags in Avon and cheddar, and wye valley guides. This could help people decide where to visit, or more likely, where not to visit.

Could also be used to post area bmc, climbbristol updates, etc.

Crimp

ps this is not a separatist movement! Just an idea to help locals, and all you peak folk who may be passing through.

Cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 02:06:40 pm
You could then apply the same logic to each geographic region and have innumerable sub-forums...

Peak (East)
Peak (West)
Peak (South)
Peak (North)
Yorkshire
Lancashire
Lakes (East)
Lakes (West)
Lakes (South)
North Wales (Parisellas)
North Wales (Pass)
South Wales
Southern Sandstone
Northumberland
Scotland (XXX) x100

Not necessarily a problem (forum software could handle it), but I'd just be inclined to bookmark the relevant threads that I'd be interested in them or use a text search within a web-page to find the thread I'm looking for.

crimp

#2 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 02:17:52 pm
Hi slackline

my thinking is this.

If i want to check out condition reports on bristol area crags, I've got to put in a search for each individual crag.

If they're all in a regional child board, i can just scroll down recent posts, and get a regional overview much simpler.

Stubbs

#3 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 02:49:42 pm
But if the conditions report wasn't in the top few it would probably be useless as it would be more than a few days old...

crimp

#4 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 02:55:55 pm
Fair enough

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 04:33:25 pm
Hi slackline

my thinking is this.

If i want to check out condition reports on bristol area crags, I've got to put in a search for each individual crag.

Fortunately, and despite Google's best efforts, we don't yet have a personalised webs yet (thankfully in my opinion, but the current situation has some pernicious consequences*)

Following @isitgreasy on Twitter is another option (but again you will have to wade through the 'noise' to find what you want, and it will only be a link to the posts in the conditions thread anyway)

* Watch this if at all interested...

crimp

#6 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 04:42:00 pm
Was only an ill conceived thought slackline.

Point already conceded bud.

crimp

#7 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 05:00:20 pm
just an idea. Probably shit and get shot down in flames .... On the condition reports forum we have the occasional bristol region notices scattered about (the bristol chapter does seem to be a relatively small, but fiercely lively and committed wing of the UKB massive).
For the various reasons people have given, it's probably not a flyer. (Having looked at some new-generation forum software recently, the whole notion of boards and sub-boards is anyway a little antiquated.) But appreciate the thought. In general any suggestions as to how we can make ukb more relevant to the SW are very welcome.

hi thesiger. Sorry for not cutting quote down. You're already very relevant to SW climbers. Already far and away best forum. I think its more a case of exposure. by being a concise point of locally available crag updates could widen interest, and get more SW regional people involved in UKB. A bit more regional promotion be good as well. I am going to a BMC workday Sunday, and i can't outwardly show a UKB affiliation. Hence nobody there will approach me to ask about it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 05:20:09 pm
I think its more a case of exposure. by being a concise point of locally available crag updates could widen interest, and get more SW regional people involved in UKB. A bit more regional promotion be good as well.

Kind of a catch 22 , as all that needs is more from the SW region posting/using the conditions threads that already exist.

I am going to a BMC workday Sunday, and i can't outwardly show a UKB affiliation. Hence nobody there will approach me to ask about it.

Thats easy, just be....

Was made into hoodies and t-shirts (no longer available unfortunately)...

(The BMC are site sponsors anyway).

crimp

#9 Re: just a thought (crash and burn probably)
February 20, 2013, 05:30:25 pm
 cheers

I'll try and get a copy printed by the weekend

crimp

What's the font on the lapel logo?

crimp

Was just considering the lapel logo (UKB  (UKBouldering.com...below that))

just wondered if there's a 'corporate' font?

tomtom

• forum hero
Comic Sans   ;)

(Ducks and runs away..)

rich d

• forum hero
TBH if you're serious about this, I'd say the "ugly, primitive, etc" joke is past its sell by date (originally made by Chris Craggs at Rockfax in early 2010).

If we did another "official" t-shirt or other merchandise, I would guess we'd shamelessly borrow from the design elements here, especially the [wad] [punter]:

that sounds like it's nearly here

205Chris

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal