UKBouldering.com

Charlcombe Cornice (Read 4616 times)

crimp

Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 07:52:22 am
Does anybody have the pdf guide for charlcombe cornice?

If so, could you do me a favour and put it on the wiki under bristol.

I come across it on web, but just locks when i hit download.

Anybody been there? Is it pleasant and worth a look for a local?

Cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 08:00:02 am

I come across it on web, but just locks when i hit download.

Post a link please.

crimp

#2 Re: Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 08:13:02 am
Sorry slackline

i just traced the Google search 'download pdf guide' back to its parent site, and it's actually a US&A site that doesn't have a guide, and is asking people to create one. A very misleading Google entry. Guide doesn't actually exist. Buggers!

Still interested in any beta anyone has on the venue beyond what's in Avon guide addendum page.

Thanks

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 12:28:09 pm
Recently stopped by at Charlescombe having been at Portishead quarry earlier in the day.

It is very tidal, when we got there the water was lapping the first bolts. The approach is easy enough, about 5 mins from the road to the coastal footpath and then a hundred metres or so of slippery scrambling along the coastline.

Can't really comment on the quality as we didn't climb but it looks ok for a summer evening's jaunt. Steep and pocketed, a bit like a (very) poor man's Cheedale. I expect you would want to hit low tide on a sunny/windy day in order for the bottom of the crag to dry out. The base will be very muddy so take wellies / tarp.

Apparently the 8a is more like 7c. Don't have a topo, best info I could find was on the ukc logbook page.

I'm intending to give it another try later in the year so will report back!

crimp

#4 Re: Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 01:08:51 pm
Cheers Luke.

That definitely sounds like a leave until mid summer for a look see then.

crimp

#5 Re: Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 01:20:12 pm
Hi again Luke.

For when i do visit, does an ab in seem practical, and preferable to the no doubt ankle snapping, slime and mud sludge trudge to get in?

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Charlcombe Cornice
February 20, 2013, 01:47:31 pm
It doesn't look like you'd be able to ab, the top of the cliff is a thick thorny hedge several metres deep.

The walk along the coast isn't too bad, it's more rock than slime/mud. It's also worth bearing in mind I went at high tide, you may be able to walk on flat mud/sand at low tide.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal