UKBouldering.com

Porth Ysgo Beta Thread (Read 47540 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
#125 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
January 19, 2015, 06:33:40 pm
The norm is to drive through torrential rain to find a glorious Lleyn not the other way round .  ;)

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#126 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
January 19, 2015, 10:17:23 pm
Sorry to hear about the wasted journey.

I guess northerlies aren't so good as they will tend to blow over the top. It must have rained just before you got there as I don't think there was a rising temperature on Saturday (it was certainly cold at my house). I'm genuinely surprised the boulders still remained wet after 2 hours.

I guess it doesn't help to know that Doylo and crew had good conditions the day before at Porth Nefoedd. Or that in all the years I've been bouldering down there I can only recall the odd day when the rock was too wet to climb (I did meet Andy Swann walking out once looking very dismayed given that he'd travelled a significant distance to get there only to find damp rock).

Thinking about the wind direction - a strong onshore south westerly can mess things up too, blowing too much spray into the boulder field.

One other thought: were the rocks around the Mynydd y Graig escarpment (Rhiw) not dry? Clwt y Fiaren for example is well exposed to the wind. We once rescued a sea level session (massive waves and too much spray) by going here.

I think we were just very unlucky. I've never known anyone not being able to climb anything. Every problem I checked out out was wet, the worst part of it was we actually went to the boulders stayed for a couple of hours, walked back to the car and the sun was shining so much by then it looked promising. We walked back down then it hammered down!

Mynydd y Graig was in my mind but it was one of them thing's "I'm sure it'll dry here soon, let's sit and wait" and as I said by the end of the long wait it was raining...

The norm is to drive through torrential rain to find a glorious Lleyn not the other way round .  ;)

Haha, that's the weird thing. It was very sunny on the Lleyn inland!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#127 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
January 20, 2015, 08:47:46 am
If anyone's in the vicinity a broadly Scouse contingent will be hitting the Rhiw hillside on Saturday and Ysgo/Talfarach Sunday in honour of some twat's birthday...  :weakbench:

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#128 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
January 20, 2015, 12:29:58 pm
If anyone's in the vicinity a broadly Scouse contingent will be hitting the Rhiw hillside on Saturday and Ysgo/Talfarach Sunday in honour of some twat's birthday...  :weakbench:

I'm keen, I'll be keeping a very close eye on the weather this time though! I was thinking of Ysgo on Saturday, weather looks a bit ropey for Sunday but the forecast will probably be wrong anyway...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#129 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
January 21, 2015, 11:06:01 am
Saturday looks great, Sunday less so... Drop me a PM if you want my number Luke.

scottygillery

• player
#130 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
February 05, 2015, 01:25:49 pm
Really excited about visiting here tomorrow for the first time. Does anyone have any good knowledge of where we can doss in our van overnight? Cheers!

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#131 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
February 05, 2015, 10:31:52 pm
Really excited about visiting here tomorrow for the first time. Does anyone have any good knowledge of where we can doss in our van overnight? Cheers!

Should be great conditions there tomorrow, have fun! As far as dossing I'm not too sure but the parking place by the stream (Not the one on the farm) could be OK? I'm not sure it would cause any problem. Other than that there's plenty of lanes around there.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#132 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
February 06, 2015, 08:32:58 am
This may be too late but I'd avoid staying at the parking spot over night, seem to remember this caused problems in the past. Also there was a new painted notice on the fence by the parking saying "No Camping" when we were there the other week so this may indicate people have been trying to camp there again recently?

Not very helpful I know... You could try the car park in Llanbedrog?

tomtom

• forum hero
#133 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
February 06, 2015, 08:45:20 am
Are there not loads of surf doss spots just over the hill?

scottygillery

• player
#134 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
February 09, 2015, 06:52:45 am
Thank you for the advice! We stayed about 20mins up the road in a quiet layby. What a great place Porth Ysgo is!! We had an amazing day  :2thumbsup:

JK

• regular
#135 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
May 31, 2015, 07:22:07 pm
Can anyone recommend a good campsite in the area? Cheers

Lleynkeen

#136 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
May 31, 2015, 08:33:47 pm
Hi JK - there's a campsite at the Rhiw end of Hell's Mouth beach - cool spot just above the beach and about 5 mins drive to Porth Ysgo parking (even closer to the Clwt y Fiaren, Porth Nefoedd and Talfarach parking areas). You could also camp just outside Aberdaron for better pub access - similar distance beyond Porth Ysgo and there are quite a few campsites. I wouldn't bother booking - just show up and you'll get somewhere. For details about the other areas check out www.northwalesbouldering.com and search back for info.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#137 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
May 31, 2015, 09:14:15 pm
We always stay at the Tanrallt Bunkhouse near Abersoch. They also offer decent looking camping...

JK

• regular
#138 Re: Porth Ysgo Beta Thread
June 01, 2015, 09:23:16 am
Great, thanks for the info. Treheli Farm at Rhiw looks good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal