UKBouldering.com

lost in Stevenage (Read 3464 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
lost in Stevenage
January 16, 2013, 03:41:38 pm
Hi... I have just been "invited" to spend at least a fortnight working in Stevenage.  A quick look at the UKC database has not revealed any nearby bouldering walls that I have heard of (or crags, somewhat less surprisingly).  So is the area as much of a desert for bouldering as it seems? Any help or advice for would be much appreciated - it's going to feel like a very long stay in whatever B&B work finds me.

twoshoes

• regular
#1 Re: lost in Stevenage
January 16, 2013, 03:47:50 pm
Unlucky...

I grew up just down the road and don't ever plan on going back (other than to visit, obviously!).

The closest decent wall that I know of is up in Cambridge and isn't terrible.

The closest terrible wall that I know of is down at Hertford Uni and probably isn't worth the trip, unless it's improved dramatically in the last few years.

Train in to London? Takes 25(ish) minutes to get to Kings Cross on a fast service. A 10 minute tube trip and a 10 minute walk and you'll be able to drop a week's wages on one trip to the Castle...

Take a mountain bike with you? Still not many options, but there are at least some woods to play in.

Or just hang out in the Holywood Bowl games arcade with the Stevenage youth.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: lost in Stevenage
January 16, 2013, 04:15:05 pm
I thought that might be the case..... bugger... I think I might try to get back to Ilkley on a weekend... if not, looks like Cambridge might have to do.  Is the Castle the most convenient London-ish wall to get to from Stevenage? I have a car that I can use.  Oh well, if the worst comes to the worst, I will just have to not climb (just when I wanted to get in fighting trim for an iminent holiday in Turkey) - maybe visit some museums and galleries in London.

fried

• forum hero
#3 Re: lost in Stevenage
January 16, 2013, 04:24:03 pm
Big Rock in Milton Keynes is good is you've got transport. About an hour without the hassle of going into London. Welcome to my home turf, what a dump! I left the country as soon as I could.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: lost in Stevenage
January 16, 2013, 05:40:26 pm
Aye..... I think it's some kind of karmic redistribution after unexpectedly having some good days on grit recently.  Reading the current thread on good Peak and Yorkshire 7b's now makes me want to weep / punch holes in things.   

GHM

#5 Re: lost in Stevenage
January 27, 2013, 12:45:23 pm
Maybe too late to help but Big Rock in Milton Keynes is easy to get to and good.
There is also a bouldering room at The XC in Hemel Hempstead - buts its freezing in there!
Both are about £10 with free membership.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: lost in Stevenage
January 27, 2013, 05:11:29 pm
It is a bit late - but I appreciate (and agree with) the sentiment.  I'm just back from my second weekend session at Big Rock.  I really liked the problems - very much to my taste with lots of steepness on bad crimps (the sort of stuff that leaves you feeling ruined... but in a satisfying this-will-make-me-stronger way).  For future reference, how does Kelsey Kerridge in Cambridge compare.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal