UKBouldering.com

North Wales Limestone update (Read 27977 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
#50 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 08:00:45 pm
Should be early next week.

petejh

• forum hero
#51 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 10:01:14 pm
 :icon_beerchug: Thanks!

Like Chris says it should be in the shops next week. We got sent two copies for approval which we received yesterday lunchtime - we've approved them, and the bulk should be dispatched tomorrow from Poland.

This was my first experience of doing this sort of thing and I've learned loads - including how naive I was at the beginning to think I'd bosh it out in two years.. My goal was to showcase the NW Limestone area and give it its own 'proper' guidebook, and my biggest fear was that I'd end up spending years producing something that turned out looking amateurish and a bit shoddy; well, I'm glad and relieved to say it's really high quality and professional-looking, even Andy Boorman thinks it's 'proper good' so it must be good! I'm so happy with the end result and I think people are going to love it!

Thanks to UKB'ers and all those folk on facebook for giving us encouragement and kind words - Andy and I really appreciated the comments and they helped reinforce the motivation needed to stick it out and do a proper job. I'm glad ukb exists, the climbing scene would be poorer without it and it kept me psyched knowing there were a bunch of psyched people out there. I think this site  represents a lot of what's good about climbing - notably the humour and creativity, freedom to do things differently and freedom of expression.

ianto9

• player
#52 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 10:31:18 pm
Can't wait to buy it m8, really looking forward too it,now get the 2nd accent of homosexual the longest project on the orme? ha,well done

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#53 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 11, 2014, 10:48:02 pm
Nice one Pete. That moment when you open the book for the first time is pretty intense.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#54 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 19, 2014, 10:32:14 pm
I'm going to Bangor on Sunday, is it worth a diversion to V12 to pick up a copy?

petejh

• forum hero
#55 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 19, 2014, 11:25:00 pm
No. I'm being royally fucked around by a disingenuous prick of a print agent who's been feeding us bullshit since the start of the print process. Going off what he told us the book would have been in the shops in early August. There has been misleading answer after misleading answer from him about the print schedule and his latest, and hopefully last, load of bullshit was saying the bulk of books would definitely be delivered to the distributor's warehouse by the end of this week. It hasn't been. I mean, we only paid 7 days ago following approval of the two approval copies and it must take, oh, weeks for a truck to drive from Poland to the UK. And we only paid extra thousands of pounds premium based on this shyster's promised '3-4 week turnaround' and so far it's only been 10 weeks and still no delivery - so nothing to be concerned about then. I'm genuinely astounded at how unprofessional, disingenuous and completely unashamedly unconcerned at failing to deliver what he offered and what we paid for this person is and yet he's still be in business in the print industry. Talking to other publishers it sounds like we got unlucky with this total arsehole who appears to think nothing of conning money out of people on false pretenses.

The only good thing is the printers did a great job with the book - at least the two preview copies look great anyway.

Yes I'm frustrated, I just want to see it in the shops like it should have been 6 weeks ago.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#56 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 20, 2014, 09:27:35 pm
I know its not the biggest issue but claim the premium back from the publisher agent for failing to deliver in accordance with the agreed schedule.

Still looking forward to the guide been waiting a long time what's a couple more weeks

Mirf

• player
    • www.leopoldkroll.com
#57 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 22, 2014, 11:27:46 pm
Hurray! Got a copy, good effort guys looks great.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#58 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 23, 2014, 08:20:52 am
Hurray! Got a copy, good effort guys looks great.

Jealous! Excited to get mine soon!  :2thumbsup:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#59 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 23, 2014, 10:06:03 am
An Early batch arrived in v12 this morning Luke  :dance1:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#60 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 05:17:35 pm
I see the cocktalk thread about this is archived after 4 posts!

http://ielt9.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=598661

Perhaps we should all chip in for a paid for advert?  It would be interesting to see how much filthy lucre is required before they'd take the puff piece, perhaps we could advertise it under the banner 'the soon to be most plagarised guide in Europe'

tomtom

• forum hero
#61 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 05:41:59 pm
I think an advert for the niche publication for cockerels who use facsimile  machines would be perfect.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#62 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 07:30:36 pm
Good spot Sloper. Unbelievable shit.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#63 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 09:35:51 pm
Seems a bit harsh, it's only archived as there is another thread about the book and a there is a link to the other thread. There is also a review of said book on the site as well.

tomtom

• forum hero
#64 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 09:57:22 pm

Seems a bit harsh, it's only archived as there is another thread about the book and a there is a link to the other thread. There is also a review of said book on the site as well.

True dat - there is a (rather odd) review...

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#65 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 10:46:04 pm

True dat - there is a (rather odd) review...

Thought it was quite a good one - the reviews there often end up feeling very advertorial, which this one didn't and was all the better for it!

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#66 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 24, 2014, 10:49:18 pm
I thought the review was ok, there hardly likely to enthuse too much
Just don't mention the send online app as the thread will get pulled

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#67 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 25, 2014, 07:43:09 am
I'm glad ukb exists, the climbing scene would be poorer without it and it kept me psyched knowing there were a bunch of psyched people out there. I think this site represents a lot of what's good about climbing - notably the humour and creativity, freedom to do things differently and freedom of expression.

Nice thing to say, but I'm not sure it will all fit on the back of the next T shirt.

Good work on the book!

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#68 Re: North Wales Limestone update
September 30, 2014, 03:37:34 pm
quick update on the app. been speaking to Pete but thought I'd share a couple of screenies for folks here too. We're just running through the last few things to tidy up and it'll be online shortly after...

Everyone's favourite 7c

And a peek at some new toys

grumpybearpants

#69 Re: North Wales Limestone update
October 21, 2014, 03:22:50 pm
Ahhhh, and calm.

UKC have zapped my post on the Limestone App thread. It only quoted their email to me saying "Your thread 'North Wales Limestone Guide - the guidebook next step' started at 21:39 Fri has been removed from the UKClimbing.com Forums".

Strange that.

Love the screenshots

petejh

• forum hero
#70 Re: North Wales Limestone update
October 21, 2014, 09:26:02 pm
Alan James? Deleting posts he doesn't like? Image crafting/censorship on UKC?

That amazes me.

The North Wales Limestone App is out and available for anyone who cares to search for it in cyberspace (I think the Android version is out tomorrow). This is the first full guidebook in the UK to be available in both print and App for iOS & Android. No doubt it'll be the first of many. It feels satisfying to beat Rockfax to the market with apps  :). Huge thanks are due to Steve Golley for building the app platform and toiling very hard to make these things a reality. Steve's done it all in his spare time as a voluntary effort to allow guidebook authors to get their books out on the market in App format - massive kudos is due.

The Lime App looks great and I think it's very user-friendly, I'm really pleased with TheSend's app platform bar one or two minor improvements which no-doubt will come with version updates. The app comes integrated with 8a.nu's scorecard so you can log ascents from the app. You can also add them to an internal ticklist (nb. you have to add the routes to your ticklist before it will allow you to add them to your 8a scorecard).

Unfortunately it's not where you'd expect to find it (TheSend website!), which is why I hadn't bothered mentioning that it's out - didn't want people to get confused thinking the 'Lime Lite Taster app' which is on TheSend's website was the full app. There's now't I can do about that, ahem.

Steve's new Kalymnos app is also top-quality and makes me want to go there now!

kelvin

• forum hero
#71 Re: North Wales Limestone update
October 21, 2014, 09:35:12 pm
Great stuff Pete.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#72 Re: North Wales Limestone update
October 21, 2014, 09:37:57 pm
Fuck me, at this rate I might have to actually try some North Wales Limestone Sport routes, just a quick question can I down grade everything I flash to 4+?

petejh

• forum hero
#73 Re: North Wales Limestone update
October 21, 2014, 09:40:54 pm
You can if get yourself an 8a scorecard!

Make sure it is a flash though..

webbo

• forum hero
#74 Re: North Wales Limestone update
October 21, 2014, 09:42:07 pm
Fuck me, at this rate I might have to actually try some North Wales Limestone Sport routes, just a quick question can I down grade everything I flash to 4+?
So all the 3s will get a grade inflation or do you get a + or a - for climbing in brogues. :kiss2:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal