UKBouldering.com

Broughton Now open on Tuesday evenings (Read 24742 times)

davehinton

OK so we're nearly at the end of January. The diets should be showing some results. Time to build up the finger strength.

Last year the best conditions especially at Malham were in March.

Work remembering that Broughton 6a will give you the necessary finger strength for all the routes up to 8a at Malham!!

See you all tomorrow evening.

rosmat

• menacing presence
I feckin miss Broughton!  :wub: Those were the days.

IanP

• forum abuser
Hi Dave, can't make this week because of work but should be on for next assuming no return to arctic conditions.  Ian

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Broughton Now open on Tuesday evenings
January 28, 2013, 07:00:20 pm
Dave, wish I was in Manc on Tuesdays to check it out. Superb effort for drumming up the troops though..

davehinton

#29 Re: Broughton Now open on Tuesday evenings
February 25, 2013, 01:45:40 pm
A reminder to everyone to get down this Tuesday night.
Unfortunately can't be there myself as I've got a 'parents evening' to do.

I know a few folks have been put off by the idea of a 'baltic' broughton session, but on many occassions we have had heaters in the room plus the fans are no longer pushing freezing air into the room so conditions have been little different to those found on other indoor walls.

It's a perfect time to get yourself 'Malham' ready especially as Malham is drying rapidly.

Remember also £3.80 entrance and new faces always welcome.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#30 Re: Broughton Now open on Tuesday evenings
February 25, 2013, 03:25:14 pm
Had the place to myself when I was there one afternoon a couple of weeks ago, my first visit in over 5 years.

Like the use of the Jenga blocks also!

davehinton

If anyone has :-

Obsession
New Dawn
Mescalito
Renaissance
L'Obsession
Herbie
Baboo
Zoolook
Raindogs
Groove
The Oak
Predator
Cry Freedom

and a host of others, harder and easier on their 2013 ticklists then:

there is no better place to prepare.

A gentle reminder that you won't find any plastic, coloured and  'sticky out' footholds on any of the above.

See you tomorrow

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki

Obsession
New Dawn
Mescalito
Renaissance
L'Obsession
Herbie
Baboo
Zoolook
Raindogs
Groove
The Oak
Predator
Cry Freedom

Why? is it wet as well?

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds

Obsession
New Dawn
Mescalito
Renaissance
L'Obsession
Herbie
Baboo
Zoolook
Raindogs
Groove
The Oak
Predator
Cry Freedom

A gentle reminder that you won't find any plastic, coloured and  'sticky out' footholds on any of the above.

See you tomorrow

Still open Tuesdays Dave? i.e. tonight?

cheers

davehinton

Open for 'crimping' tonight.

P.S.  I believe Malham is perfectly dry

davehinton

Excellent turn out last night. Great to see lots of new faces.

Please remember the guide is still available at:

http://broughtonpower.wetpaint.com/

If anyone has any problems downloading, send me a message and I'll forward a copy to you.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
Don't think I've ever seen it so busy, about 25 at one point  :2thumbsup:

davehinton

I've just been informed by Salford Council that they will be continuing to run Broughton under the same conditions for a further period of at least 6 months. I have been asked whether we want to continue with the late openings on tuesdays.

I will reply today and continue the arrangement however I will inform them that numbers might be lower if the late evenings and favourable weather  allow some of us the opportuntity to take our 'Broughton Power' outside!

If you can't make it outside or the weather is rubbish please remember then that Tuesday nights at Broughton is an available indoor option.

Before easter we had an number of students from manchester/salford enjoying the evenings if anyone could inform the relevant student unions of the above it would be very much appreciated.  :icon_beerchug:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
That's great news Dave. Thank you for all your hard work to keep the Tuesday evenings open.

Jon

Gritrat

• regular

Work remembering that Broughton 6a will give you the necessary finger strength for all the routes up to 8a at Malham!!

See you all tomorrow evening.

:o Is this right?! I've been spending a lot of daytimes at Broughton recently and would be interested to see how the gains translate.

I'm primarily a boulderer, but have recently been thinking about getting back on a rope again. I seem to be able to flash or tick most 6b+'s at Broughton in a few goes so am wondering what sort of UK sport grades I should be looking at? Obviously based on the assumption that I can make some endurance improvements and with the caveat that each crag is different to the next.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Flashing Broughton 6b+ is a good grade. They're lower font 7s IMO. I generally think of Broughton 6b as ~ F7A as a rule but it will vary. You can work out the route comparison.

Maybe more interesting would be to go to the back page and try the traverses. I think the route grades are the harsh end of accurate.

Gritrat

• regular
Ah okay thanks, that's useful.  I was struggling a bit with a standard conversion as I always thought of UK 6b as about V4/V5, but clearly Broughton's graded a bit harder than that.

Some of the 6c's feel Font 7B+ at least I thought, but I guess that would tally with what you're saying.

Didn't know there were traverses in the back, will have a look next time.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Go to http://broughtonpower.wetpaint.com/ home page and click on 'Download Nick's very latest problem list and get ticking.' to get the spreadsheet guide.
Go to line 1184: the traverses are listed there (ie 'the back' of the guide if you print it all off).

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
at the risk of appearing stupid - how does the number of holds work?
Are they labelled on the wall or do you have to refer to a crib sheet?

Thinking of having my lunchtime climbs and maybe an afterwork once a week at Broughton...

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
at the risk of appearing stupid - how does the number of holds work?
Are they labelled on the wall or do you have to refer to a crib sheet?

Thinking of having my lunchtime climbs and maybe an afterwork once a week at Broughton...

The holds are numbered on the wall itself, problems refer to the hold numbers. Some are quite faint, so you need 'Broughton eyes' to work them out...

I seem to be able to flash or tick most 6b+'s at Broughton in a few goes ...

If you can flash 6b+ at Broughton, you're going very well!!

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
The holds are numbered on the wall itself, problems refer to the hold numbers. Some are quite faint, so you need 'Broughton eyes' to work them out...
Thanks

Broughton Power, Broughton eyes...
Am I going to need any other upgrades?

Gritrat

• regular

Having only recently been turned onto the joys of Broughton I can highly recommend it!  The problems are plentiful and reet awesome!

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds

Broughton Power, Broughton eyes...
Am I going to need any other upgrades?

if you climb enough at Broughton, everything else gets upgraded automatically, stamina, strength,  power, technique, etc etc.......

grimer

• forum hero
So, to recap, the post about opening still on Tuesdays sounded a bit conditional. Is Broughton open every Tuesday, daytime and evenings till ten?

davehinton

Last time I was there was about 4 weeks ago, and I spoke to Geoff Hodges who runs  Salford Community Leisure. I was told that they are still hoping to transfer the building over Broughton Database and further council meetings were about to happen to proceed with this plan. When and if that happens then the 'climbers' will have to make an arrangement with the Database to secure access. In the meantime, if people would like to visit, I suggest you either go through the daytime or on tuesday evenings. However, it's probably best to phone ahead first to check and save yourself a wasted journey although for a totally different experience its only a few minutes away from Rockover's Bouldering Wall.

There isn't a direct phone line to Broughton anymore but if you phone Broughton Baths or 0161 792 2375 they will be able to tell you if the wall/centre is open.

If anyone has anymore up to date info, please keep me informed.

thanks

P.s. I need to get there myself, yesterday I twice fell off Obsession moving up to the chain!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal