UKBouldering.com

Rings (Read 18489 times)

chris j

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Rings
February 04, 2015, 08:11:23 am
I highly recommend Overcoming Gravity (gymnastics book) for gymnastics training advice. It's very well written and accessible to mortals. I managed to get hold of it in ebook online if anyone would like I could probably share it.

+1 It's quite a weighty tome in paper form. Needs a good read to get the best out of it, not really a book to skim through.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#51 Re: Rings
February 04, 2015, 02:36:22 pm
:icon_beerchug:I don't think that rings are specifically good for core, unless you become able to perform routines that warrant you a 9,00 at the Olympics.
The kind of core needed in climbing is a lot more complex than holding an L-seat, in my opinion. But I could easily be wrong.
I think that rings are awesome to develop a particular kind of upper body power that can then trained again specifically for climbing.
We must remember that a ring session can also give a very different stimulus to the body while resting fingers for example. Not everyone has the luxury of endless time or enormous climbing walls or close rocks, as to avoid anything else than climbing itself in its various forms.
I consider lifting - and if I were to do rings I'd consider rings as well - as an active rest day, climbing wise, in which I can potentiate the climbing specific training of the days before and after with a full body recruitment. Lifting increases testosterone production also and this is crucial for strength training.
I've only tried rings once at The Works, and they felt good.
Just my opinion, no science, punter level, etc...

If rings are an active rest day you aren't trying hard enough ;) Muscle ups / levers are damn good for the core. I highly recommend Overcoming Gravity (gymnastics book) for gymnastics training advice. It's very well written and accessible to mortals. I managed to get hold of it in ebook online if anyone would like I could probably share it.

I think that nibile is just a machine so doesn't require muh rest just some wd40 and he's good to go
On a serious note, I think it depends what you do in a session, for example a session doing fingery boardwork will leave my forearms dead but core and stuff mostly ok whereas a cave session leaves my core ruined but fingers fine, as such I aim my active rest to whats ok eg core and stuff if I've been on the board, fingerboard if I've been in the cave.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#52 Re: Rings
February 05, 2015, 09:31:20 am
I think that nibile is just a machine so doesn't require muh rest just some wd40 and he's good to go
Ahahahahahah! I would need cans and cans of that!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#53 Re: Rings
February 05, 2015, 09:37:35 am
If rings are an active rest day you aren't trying hard enough ;)
I'm not trying at all. I don't have rings.

ghisino

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Rings
October 17, 2017, 09:30:28 am
just wondering if opinions on rings are changed since 2015...

more specifically i'm interested in:

-rings and shoulder health. It is not obvious if they are good or dangerous, or rather how to use them well in this regard.

-rings as groundwork for anything that isn't forearms. I'm looking at a couple of projects for next spring that are challenging my whole body much (much!) more than my fingers...big moves, controllings wild swings, hard lockoffs in a roof etc... Hard to replicate that specifically with my current local resources (even gyms somehow lack the required steepness!).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal