UKBouldering.com

Armaid (Read 17670 times)

spinmaster

#25 Re: Armaid
November 01, 2012, 03:26:02 pm
My experience of the armaid is that is helps take the stress off the tendon in the elbow by reducing the strain on the tendon caused by overtight muscles. Eccentrics are used to stress the tendon itself to introduce stress on it to start the regeneration process. So both work in combination. Eccentrics in my experience if you still have very tight flexors just make the flexors tighter and the elbow worse.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#26 Re: Armaid
November 01, 2012, 04:53:30 pm
Sometimes something that is easy to use and you have bought specifically for the task, or that you can use on the walk in/out of the crag, makes it more likely you will do what we all know you should. If you get my drift.

You have to justify spending your money somehow.  :P

I guess that's why my wallet is staying in my pocket at the moment. I have more important things, like 5.10 knee pads, to save up for ;D

Paul T

• regular
#27 Re: Armaid
November 22, 2012, 06:03:18 pm
Here are Rob LeBreton's forearms after hitting his trigger points with Armaid. Mine weren't too disimilar in the black and blue department for the first few days either. Thanks to Rob for use of the image.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#28 Re: Armaid
November 22, 2012, 07:19:43 pm
i thought it was a fizzy drink

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Re: Armaid
November 22, 2012, 08:25:28 pm
Here are Rob LeBreton's forearms after hitting his trigger points with Armaid. Mine weren't too disimilar in the black and blue department for the first few days either. Thanks to Rob for use of the image.

Shit - erm - is that much bruising a good thing????

galpinos

• forum hero
#30 Re: Armaid
November 23, 2012, 09:45:33 am
Shit - erm - is that much bruising a good thing????

My thoughts exactly....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Armaid
November 26, 2012, 10:30:41 am
Likewise; I fail to see how something bruising your arms like that can be seen as a positive development; hey look at the fantastic internal bleeding this great machine has caused!

Guy

#32 Re: Armaid
November 29, 2012, 02:25:01 pm
Save your notes and any internal injuries

http://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/golfers-elbow-a-possible-solution/#comment-152

Tried this and worked an absolute dream  Seems Physio at TCA also agrees

http://dannybrownphysio.com/blog-2/

:icon_beerchug: Big time to Tom for this.

Paul T

• regular
#33 Re: Armaid
December 13, 2012, 10:09:35 am
Likewise; I fail to see how something bruising your arms like that can be seen as a positive development; hey look at the fantastic internal bleeding this great machine has caused!

I spoke to both Nina Leonfellner and Danny Brown about the cause of this and they both independently concluded that this reaction and flushing was the start of the healing process. It happened with my very first use of Armaid and has not been repeated on subsequent sessions. My first session was fairly light and I'm sure that  it is not muscular bruising.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#34 Re: Armaid
December 13, 2012, 11:24:07 am
Save your notes and any internal injuries

http://tomrandallclimbing.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/golfers-elbow-a-possible-solution/#comment-152

Tried this and worked an absolute dream  Seems Physio at TCA also agrees

http://dannybrownphysio.com/blog-2/

:icon_beerchug: Big time to Tom for this.

Didn't work for me. I think you just have to experiment. Not all elbow injuries or people are the same. I find running cold water works is consistently the best for me. 

Paul T

• regular
#35 Re: Armaid
December 13, 2012, 03:40:57 pm
Didn't work for me. I think you just have to experiment. Not all elbow injuries or people are the same. I find running cold water works is consistently the best for me.

This was something that I also tried many years ago. As Shark says it all depends on the nature of your injury. It is certainly  a good stretch to hit the bicep insertion but has no real affect on the brachioradialis area of the forearm where my troubles lie.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#36 Re: Armaid
December 13, 2012, 03:57:15 pm

This was something that I also tried many years ago. As Shark says it all depends on the nature of your injury. It is certainly  a good stretch to hit the bicep insertion but has no real affect on the brachioradialis area of the forearm where my troubles lie.

Because that is quite deep I found that freezing water in a yoghurt pot and pressing it in where it is sore just before bed cleared it up fairly quickly.

TheTwig

• stalker
#37 Re: Armaid
February 04, 2015, 03:06:07 am
I know it's an old thread but thought I would post my experience with Armaid here. (It's my first post, hi!)

History: Had pretty bad lateral epicondylitis (self diagnosed tennis elbow) in both elbows, particularly the right, as well as mild carpal tunnel (Self diagnosed) in the right hand. Had the carpal tunnel with varying symptoms over 5 years and the tennis elbow about 1 and a half years with varying symptoms too. Climbing was basically impossible without at least 4/10 pain, all the way up to 8/10 pain for 24 hrs afterwards. Extension at the wrist was basically painful 24/7. I tried combinations of icing, massage with lacrosse balls, long periods of non-climbing (up to a month), stretching of the various muscles etc, as well as doing the extensor/flexbar twist  with only some small relief from the pain.

Lacrosse ball massage combined with using the flexbar (see Tyler Twist technique) was somewhat effective but my forearm muscles and tendons remained massively stiff and knotted and I physically could not put enough force on the area using the lacrosse ball or other objects to actually release all the tissue, and the tyler twist/eccentric exercises only seemed partially effective.

Anyway at a loose end I did some research on the net and ended up importing an Armaid with extra attachments from Sweden (TCA seem to be out of stock). This cost a little bit more than usual (not much though) but I was desperate so hey.

Results so far: I've been doing 20 minutes of massage and trigger point therapy with the Armaid with the 2 softest rollers (black, grey) and had dramatic results straight away. Absolutely no background pain other than a slightly 'bruised' feeling if I do it too hard. I've been doing combination of massage/trigger point therapy/flexbar exercises for 2 weeks and already noticed an increase in strength, and much less pain after climbing (climbing same intensity as before). All the tissue in my forearms is way less tense and generally I'm feeling pretty happy :)

Anyway thought I would share my story, if anyone else is struggling with crippling elbow/forearm pain and can afford it then it be the solution. I saw on Armaid's website that the guy took it to a few comps in the USA to let climbers try it, somewhat surprised it hasn't been done over here.

Anyway, laters!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal