UKBouldering.com

Aeropress? (Read 4873 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Aeropress?
October 27, 2012, 07:14:08 pm
I had one of the best cups of coffee of my entire life this morning at Kaffee Rösterei Nürnberg on my way to a boulder comp. (Frankenjura vistors take note).

Anyway: what I had came out of an espresso machine, but the guys there were waxing enthusiastic about the Aeropress device, which I had only vaguely heard of before. At 25 bucks it wouldn't be too much of a gamble to just buy one and try it out, but since ukb is the fount of all wisdom I thought I'd try asking here first if anybody has experience with them.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Aeropress?
October 27, 2012, 07:48:24 pm
I've got one and I think it's fantastic. 

Cheap, fast and easy to clean - since I bought mine I've not drunk a cup of instant and really love my coffee now instead of just viewing it as a pre-work utility drink.  For the money you can't go wrong - I usually use the upside down method and then dilute but you can make it work in many different ways.

There's a fair bit of discussion about it, and many other coffee-related things in this topic: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,17006.0.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:07:10 pm by Bubba »

Nigel

• forum hero
#2 Re: Aeropress?
October 27, 2012, 09:06:21 pm
I've got one, second Bubba, its great. Boiled kettle + 20seconds = coffee. I'll be honest, I still prefer coffee from a percolator, so if you've got one and are happy with it then fair dos. For me the best thing is the lack of faff when living out of a van / camping - I used to carry a cafetiere in the van but I smashed a couple (while driving around), so went back to percolators which I had previously gone off as they are an epic i.e. don't sit on stoves nicely, too hot to put on surfaces, need to wait before you clean it cos too hot, blah blah. Aeropress is no faff and unbreakable, and a smashing brew. I would go for it just for camping tbh, and you never know, you might prefer the coffee at home too...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#3 Re: Aeropress?
October 27, 2012, 11:13:15 pm
Aeropress?

Yes is the answer.  :coffee:

Mmmm.

Seb

• addict
#4 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 12:43:25 am
Got one and I love it. Really easy to use and great coffee.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 06:30:10 am
now on my Christmas list

Durbs

• forum hero
#6 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 07:52:15 am
Likewise love it.

2nd best coffee after proper barista machine I reckons.

What's this "upside down" method you speak of?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 08:14:31 am
Google is your friend:

Basically, you have the plunger part-way inserted, balance the aeropress on the plunger base, fill it with coffee and water, and then place the cap on top.  After the coffee has brewed, you flip it and press the plunger to squeeze out the coffee as normal. 

The advantage is that as you are using the plunger to seal the coffee inside the chamber, you don't get any leakage from the chamber (normally the filter is at the base of the chamber so you get coffee coming through before you press the plunger).  The only disadvantage is that it looks a bit unstable - though I've never had any problems with the plunger falling out or knocking it over - and I am very clumsy.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#8 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 09:04:32 am
Better than the stovetop brew thing?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 09:26:40 am
I'm no expert (I have a prole's love of sugar and milk), but the aeropress gives a much "cleaner" coffee than a bialetti.  Aeropress coffee is similar to that from a swiss gold filter-cup but more concentrated; the different notes of the coffee's taste are very evident. 

By contrast, stove-top makers (at least in my experience), give a more  concentrated "dirty" coffee: thick, sedimentous, and bitter - proper "wake-up juice" (like a concentrate from a cafetiere?).  Perhaps better suited for making a cappuccino or providing a morning shock to the system, but less good at revealing the flavour (filter-cup -> aeropress = cafetiere -> stove-top = codeine -> heroin!). 

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#10 Re: Aeropress?
October 28, 2012, 10:24:13 am
Quick plug for the nice guys at York Coffee Emporium who will be able to sell you one, along with a bewildering array of tasty coffees to put in it!

http://yorkcoffeeemporium.co.uk/equipment.html

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Aeropress?
October 29, 2012, 11:54:41 am
Another fan here, got one last year and love it, great coffee and use the upside down method too.

Jules L

#12 Re: Aeropress?
October 29, 2012, 06:40:49 pm
Aeropresses are amazing! I love mine. So quick to make a great cup of coffee. I have a stove-top espresso maker too, but I haven't used it since I got the aeropress.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Aeropress?
October 29, 2012, 07:05:55 pm
Thanks everybody, we seem to have a consensus and I'll be ordering one. And some coffee from the boys in Nuremberg to put in it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal