UKBouldering.com

Parking at the Tor (Read 11734 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 09:04:38 am
Parking at the tor seems to have become an issue for at least one of the locals. Keith on Facebook:

"   more parking issues again tonite... A more-senior lady visitor/resident? came up to some of us climbing tonight remonstrating. I attempted to engage her in conversation to get more details of the specific problem but she seemingly took exception to my questioning - as hard as that may be to believe given I was in enquiring mode and certainly not in confrontational mode! Anyways, she wasnt up for being questioned and turned on her heels and left. Discussing it amongst those present after she left we believed she was complaining about having had to reverse back down the road to allow the bus to get past. She seems to be saying that if the 'climber's car' hadnt been there she wont have had to reverse as there would have been enough space to pass the bus. Of course, had she and the bus met further down the road - even 50 yards or so back towards the Anglers Arms - then she would have had to reverse back to a passing place anyway as it's mainly a single track road. Just to confirm, the climbers cars were NOT blocking the road - albeit they were 'reducing' the width a tad.

Going forward, I would say that we should continue to make every effort to park considerately and not give 'them' a free shot at goal."

BTW in light of the above the Bolting Workshop on Sun 14th is likely to be moved to another venue.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 09:07:34 am
BTW in light of the above the Bolting Workshop on Sun 14th is likely to be moved to another venue.

No scope for parking elsewhere nearby and car-pooling to the Tor?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 09:14:47 am

No scope for parking elsewhere nearby and car-pooling to the Tor?

One option is to drop your kit off and drive on and park at the Tideswell Dale car park where Culloden is and walk back (lovely 5/10 minute walk)

Three Nine

• forum hero
#3 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 09:17:29 am
The obvious solution is people should stop going to the Tor so much.

Three Nine

• forum hero
#4 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 10:34:02 am
OR perhaps to start voicing complaints about people living in Miller's Dale?

Stubbs

#5 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 10:43:22 am
One option is to drop your kit off and drive on and park at the Tideswell Dale car park where Culloden is and walk back (lovely 5/10 minute walk)

^ this, then you actually give some money to the National Park too!

Nigel

• forum hero
#6 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 11:06:07 am
No Tideswell Dale is free, you're thinking of Miller's Dale station car park.

Stubbs

#7 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 11:43:18 am
That I was, there's that little coffee and snacks van there too - win win!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 12:18:30 pm
There does seem to be a more aggressive breed of busy body developing in the area.  Pretty much everytime I have been there recently I have had or hear a minor altercation with a middle aged to elderly person; I have always been polite saying my car is off the road and this is not a designated passing place so I have every right to park here (I believe this is correct?), but this has not gone down well and on occassion the passing geriatric has been fairly rude. 

I am not sure whether this is just an occassional local who is just a bit of a miserable old bastard or potentially a larger problem, is there a realistic possibility that access will become a problem?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 12:43:07 pm
is there a realistic possibility that access will become a problem

I don't think so. The crag is owned by NT who are climber friendly, particularly in the Peak where the BMC have very good relations with them currently.

Parking issues would likely be a highways issue, who I suspect have bigger fish to fry. So often these issues boil down to one individual with a bee in their bonnet. I could pass the info on to the National Park's access team to mediate, but it doesn't sound quite like its at that stage yet.

dave

#10 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 12:48:37 pm
With the exception of this summer I've been down the tor a lot over the last 6 years or so, and I don't remember any altercations over parking (although I have had passers by ask why there were insitu draws left in mecca....) so is probably just one or two trouble causers of late.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#11 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 12:57:28 pm
my car is off the road and this is not a designated passing place so I have every right to park here (I believe this is correct?)

Think it's a clearway, so technically no stopping permitted except for passing traffic, breaking down etc.

Stubbs

#12 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 01:14:04 pm
The clearway starts just after the Tor IIRC

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 01:30:08 pm
There is a clearway sign just after the Tor, yes. But there's also one up by the Anglers Rest saying clearway for 1 mile.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#14 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 02:09:57 pm
  Pretty much everytime I have been there recently I have had or hear a minor altercation with a middle aged to elderly person;

sharks alright if you get to know him.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 02:11:13 pm
I thought the clearway meant no stopping on the road, but you are ok to park provided you are not in a passing place and completely off the road. 

With the exception of this summer I've been down the tor a lot over the last 6 years or so, and I don't remember any altercations over parking (although I have had passers by ask why there were insitu draws left in mecca....) so is probably just one or two trouble causers of late.

Likewise, this is summer is much worse for parking hassle than previous years I have climbed at the tor,

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#16 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 02:24:42 pm
I thought the clearway meant no stopping on the road, but you are ok to park provided you are not in a passing place and completely off the road. 

Highway Code
You MUST NOT stop or park on:

the carriageway or the hard shoulder of a motorway except in an emergency (see Rule 270)
a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines (see Rule 191)
[/size]
a clearway (see 'Traffic signs')
taxi bays as indicated by upright signs and markings
an urban clearway within its hours of operation, even when a broken white line is on your side of the road, except to pick up or set down passengers (see 'Traffic signs')
a road marked with double white lines, except to pick up or set down passengers
a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation
a cycle track
red lines, in the case of specially designated ‘red routes’, unless otherwise indicated by signs
Any vehicle may enter a bus lane to stop, load or unload where this is not prohibited (see Rule 141).

[Laws MT(E&W)R regs 7 & 9, MT(S)R regs 6 & 8, ZPPPCRGD regs 18 & 20, RTRA sects 5, 6 & 8, TSRGD regs 10, 26 & 27, RTA 1988 sects 21(1) & 36

The question must be whether the parking area is 'off the road' according to the Highway Code.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#17 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 04, 2012, 07:15:32 pm
  Pretty much everytime I have been there recently I have had or hear a minor altercation with a middle aged to elderly person;

sharks alright if you get to know him.

underground

• forum hero
#18 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 05, 2012, 12:57:29 am
I'm really glad that you guys are prepared to engage, frankly. Where I live, an altercation with an unpleasant 'elderly' individual has become an almost daily occurrence. You're alright as long as you fit in with *their* status quo.. and they are not so 'elderly' once it comes to getting on the offensive.

Luckily I don't / couldn't pull on at the Tor, because I'm beyond negotiation. My neighbour has been a bit sourer after I was forced to tell her to  f**k off for continually blocking my drive, in spite of having a triple drive of her own with nowt on it.

I do sometimes go down the road for a look at the crag though, so you bastards better not obstruct me in my Ford Ka that somehow has a perceived width of 8ft, or there'll be hell to pay....

Paul B

• forum hero
#19 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 08, 2012, 11:53:40 pm
Regarding this matter I spoke to Henry Folkard this week mainly regarding the better bolts campaign but parking at the tor popped up, today in his email he included this:

Quote from: Henry Folkard
I spent an hour this afternoon with the local Police Sergeant, and took the opportunity to ask if they had any issue with parking at Raven Tor. Answer 'yes'. The road beneath the crag is either a clearway or yellow lined and blocking the carriageway so that two vehicles can not pass is an offence. Cars have been ticketed there in the past and  the local Police Community Support Team will be visiting the area routinely.

It'd therefore be fantastic if everyone could park respectfully and maybe point this out to anyone they know who doesn't read UKB (isn't the grit almost ready anyway?), remember there is extra parking near Culloden.

For those concerned about the Bolt Fund Workshop being at the Tor, the take up has been very meager and its issues are far less than others suggested for its relocation.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#20 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 09, 2012, 09:14:31 am
The road beneath the crag is either a clearway or yellow lined and blocking the carriageway so that two vehicles can not pass is an offence.

There's clearly a significant grey area here isn't there? Given that two vehicles cannot pass for long sections of that road, particularly if one of them is a bus, would seem to suggest any offence would be entirely decided by the whims of the PCS team. I'm pretty sure it would still be possible for a car and a bus to pass in front of the parking bay right? Even when full?

andy_e

• forum hero
#21 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 09, 2012, 09:28:00 am
Doesn't the metalled road end before where most cars are parked anyway? Does this confuse the issue more?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 09, 2012, 09:34:11 am
No.

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 09, 2012, 09:47:27 am
I mean at the side of the road; does it extend all the way up to the embankment/vegetation/crag?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Parking at the Tor
October 09, 2012, 09:59:36 am
Possibly, though I think its the same for most of the passing places. Clearly the law requires some are left empty.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal