UKBouldering.com

Malham Cove centre car park Again. (Read 7588 times)

chriszxr

Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 25, 2012, 09:28:40 am
Hi all.
         Just to let every one no two of my friends parked there on Saturday morning and the owner the house ran out and started being very aggressive. He was on about two climbers who had parked there all day on Friday went two the pub came back after dark and had a piss there. My friend thought that he was going to headbutt him at one point.
Probably best to keep away at the moment.
If any one could let me no who the BMC area rep is so I can get hold of him would be good.

All the best Chris

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 25, 2012, 10:02:54 am
two climbers who had parked there all day on Friday went two the pub came back after dark and had a piss there. My friend thought that he was going to headbutt him at one point.   

Whoever this was wants their fingers chopping off. I don't blame the poor bloke, I'd be livid if there were twats like that in what is essentially my back yard. I posted a month or so ago saying we should all voluntarily give parking there a rest for a bit and have since just been parking in the village when ever i can. This shit could jeopardise access to the crag if people mess about with it, so it's got to be a good idea, please lets not park in the cove centre for a few months??

Three Nine

• forum hero
#2 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 25, 2012, 10:06:24 am
Are you going to be all ethical at Kilnsey too and not park right next to the BMC sign saying don't park here?  :jab:

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 25, 2012, 03:50:34 pm
Hi all.
         Just to let every one no two of my friends parked there on Saturday morning and the owner the house ran out and started being very aggressive. He was on about two climbers who had parked there all day on Friday went two the pub came back after dark and had a piss there. My friend thought that he was going to headbutt him at one point.
Probably best to keep away at the moment.
If any one could let me no who the BMC area rep is so I can get hold of him would be good.

All the best Chris

If you email the office they'll pass your message on/put you in touch.

office@thebmc.co.uk

Chris

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 10:46:46 am
I had a chat with the householder last weekend.  He was exasperated but quite reasonable - he has no problem with day parking, he just wants people not to park after dark and not to "take the piss" - no camping / toilet activities etc. 

I offered to not park there again and to put word out that others doing likewise would be appreciated and he said no.  As he saw it, the cove car-park is not his property and he doesn't have the right to stop people using it.  However, he is the keyholder for the access gate and has a responsibility to keep it locked overnight.  As such, he wants to be able to lock the gate in the evening and not be disturbed at night by campers trying to get out and / or "playing music and taking drugs" near his house.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#5 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 11:04:01 am
Parking here could be an option 54.079906,-2.172729 continue up the Cove Road until you reach the cattle grid and then walk back down the road until you can cut across level with the Cove, roughly the same distance as parking in the village, but uphill on the way out. There's also space for a couple of cars a couple of hundred metres before the grid. Also there's a a spot on Malham Rakes at 54.069554,-2.149753 which should give an even shorter walk in.
It's all academic though - the crag's never going to be dry again anyway.

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
#6 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 11:12:03 am
I have spoken to the guy before and he does seem pretty reasonable. I know it's been brought up before but i feel a small sign put up in the back left of the car park stating the above (no staying after dark, no pissing in the bushes etc) would help get the message across. After all, not everyone reads UKB and i have not seen a mention of this anywhere else.

north_country_boy

• junky
#7 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 11:14:28 am
I have spoken to the guy before and he does seem pretty reasonable. I know it's been brought up before but i feel a small sign put up in the back left of the car park stating the above (no staying after dark, no pissing in the bushes etc) would help get the message across. After all, not everyone reads UKB and i have not seen a mention of this anywhere else.

Ditto. I nearly posted the same thing yesterday, then thought someone must surely have explored this option...It would seem not.

abarro81

• forum hero
#8 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 11:18:16 am
 :agree:

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 11:42:53 am

Ditto. I nearly posted the same thing yesterday, then thought someone must surely have explored this option...It would seem not.

Is this a job for a BMC sign as seen at other crag car parks?

north_country_boy

• junky
#10 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 11:52:19 am
UKB sponsored sign?

(but with your face Shark?) 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 12:02:16 pm
 :2thumbsup: :agree:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#12 Re: Malham Cove centre car park Again.
September 26, 2012, 12:15:34 pm
Wasn't this suggested before?

Personally I would rather come out of my house and fume at some folks, than have a sign up asking people not to piss there.
Didn't he have a view on this?
Would have to be tastefully worded I guess.

No pissing in the Cur-pork?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal