UKBouldering.com

Chest strain/ collasped lung (Read 1428 times)

AB

• regular
Chest strain/ collasped lung
September 22, 2012, 10:08:31 pm
Looking for some knowledge! My friend has a collapsed lung, and has been told he has to have a lung drain, with them putting a tube in under his armpit, however he has been told they will cut straight across his latissimus dorsi (batwing) to put the tube/valve in and he will have limited function in the muscle for ever after.... :( Long term they are looking at gluing his lung to his inner chest, or removing part of the lung, as it keeps collapsing,  Has anyone any experience of this, and how has it affected their climbing after?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Chest strain/ collasped lung
September 22, 2012, 10:14:34 pm
I punctured my lung when I was 14 and the drain went in the side not the back.. (Scar to prove it) the broken ribs that caused the puncture were far more painful than any drain after effects - but it was in side not back.

End of the day, if you don't fix a punctured lung you cop it, so best to go with the docs!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#2 Re: Chest strain/ collasped lung
September 22, 2012, 11:00:54 pm
if your mate needs a chest drain because of a recurring collapse, my limited (though i do have some) experience in acute respiratory care says that a hole in the lat is currently pretty far down the priority list of things to worry about, lungs are rather more important. I hope he is ok: it is amazing how much bodies can often repair themselves.

AB

• regular
#3 Re: Chest strain/ collasped lung
September 24, 2012, 10:56:07 pm
Thanks for the encouraging replies and yes he should get the operations as soon as possible. He first had lung problems a year ago, ignored it after seeing the doctor and now it comes back in the last couple of weeks, as far as i can understand it has only affected the top of his left lung so i guess its tempting to ignore it but he has been told it could get worse at any time. I'll try and keep nagging

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal