UKBouldering.com

Odd hand pain... (Read 13005 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Odd hand pain...
September 16, 2012, 07:36:43 pm
Hello,
I've been troubled by a pain in the base of my palm (x marks the spot) that feels quite deep inside the heel of my palm. It's twinges when I pull hard on my LH, especially when the arm is extended quite far out. Is this just an odd niggle or a portender of something much worse that I should manage carefully? Open handing slopers seems to tweak it more than crimping..
Thanks, TT

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 06:41:04 am
From the position I'd say it could be one of the thousans ligaments of the wrist bones. Could be relating to pulling on slopers, as they load the wrist more than crimps.
Other than this I don't know.

SamD

• regular
#2 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 09:52:29 am
That X is over your pisiform bone. This is the distal attachment of flexor capri ulnaris among other things. As it is related to slopers this would also fit with an FCU injury at its distal insertion. As to severity, play it by ear. How uncomfortable is it? Insidious onset or related to an acute injury? any bruising or swelling when it happened?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:11:44 am
Certainly looks like an odd hand to me. What's that lump on your wrist?

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:14:28 am
Certainly looks like an odd hand to me. What's that lump on your wrist?

Do you mean the lump that looks like a vein  :whistle:

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:18:32 am
Thanks Lore and Sam,
It wasnt a sudden onset of pain - I 'think' it may have been set off by a problem called old lace at Holmfirth, where theres quite alot of force on a extended LH sloper undercut - where you get most of the pull on ring and little finger..

There is no pain or ache now - but an ache to annoying niggle when climbing hard on it.. its certainly in the managable status for me (and I'm a wuss!). No bruising - maybe some slight swelling. TBH, it feels a bit like the ache you get if you face plant on a snowboard etc.. and stick your hands our first and catch some of the blow on the heel of your palm.. I may have broken this wrist near there in the past as well. (cant remember which arm it was!)..

Chris. That lump on my wrist is my hand ;) If its that funny little sticky out bit I dont know! But i have the same on the other hand (just checked).... Can you read my palm while you're at it ;)

EDIT: Rodama - its a lump with a vein running over it.. odd.. never noticed it before..

SamD

• regular
#6 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:26:57 am
Based on the type of move you injured it on, certainly fits with an FCU sprain. No tenderness deep in that side of your wrist? the other structure lying just proximal and deep in your wrist is TFC (triangular fibrocartilage complex). Can be injured in forced ulnar deviation, but doesn't sound like thats the problem. My money is on FCU sprain still though. Usual caveats apply, take it easy for a little while.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:30:43 am
Based on the type of move you injured it on, certainly fits with an FCU sprain. No tenderness deep in that side of your wrist? the other structure lying just proximal and deep in your wrist is TFC (triangular fibrocartilage complex). Can be injured in forced ulnar deviation, but doesn't sound like thats the problem. My money is on FCU sprain still though. Usual caveats apply, take it easy for a little while.

It feels deep rather than surface...

SamD

• regular
#8 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:39:33 am
Is the pain directly over the X? any tenderness if you press into the ulnar side of your wrist just above the lump? (Lump mentioned looks like your ulnar styloid). Any grinding/clicking? Any tenderness over your FCU tendon (find it by feeling just proximal to X in your wrist. Its the ulnar most tendon in your wrist).

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:55:13 am
Is the pain directly over the X?

Not really, its more if I roll my fingers upwards over the x digging into the base of my palm if feels a little bruised for want of a better description.

any tenderness if you press into the ulnar side of your wrist just above the lump? (Lump mentioned looks like your ulnar styloid).

Nope - all fine

Any grinding/clicking? Any tenderness over your FCU tendon (find it by feeling just proximal to X in your wrist. Its the ulnar most tendon in your wrist).

I have clicky wrists on occasion (less now than in the past) - no pain on the tendon at all..

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 10:59:20 am
From what you're saying I'd agree with Sam that it's more likely ulnaris than TFCC related.  Usual advice applies!

SamD

• regular
#11 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 11:19:21 am
The other possibility is that its related to a lumbrical - you sound like you are saying the pain is more distal to X digging into your palm than proximal to X travelling up your forearm. Does it hurt more if you drop front 3 and drop your little finger off? Neither a lumbrical sprain or FCU sprain are major injuries and should heal wihtout any problem. Again as GCW says, usual warnings.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Odd hand pain...
September 17, 2012, 12:05:36 pm
Just tried on the fingerboard.. twinges a little when I have the front two on -but thats it...
I'll just manage it gently from now on... tbh its a fair bit better than when I first noticed it...

Thanks again for the advice.

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 09:19:32 am
Looks like I have a similar issue to you TomTom after a weekend of pulling on oddly-positioned diagonal pinches on every single problem at the Depot. What did you do to solve it? Anything?

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 09:27:29 am
4 years back... racks memory...

Well, its certainly not become anything long term - as I'd completely forgotten about it. I suspect it was from doing sloper problems with arms quite wide apart. A bit like the clicky wrist thing but worse. Completely gone now. I probably just avoided the type of hold/problem that caused it...

That probably doesnt help much ~ soz...

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 09:30:23 am
Just noticed it's where my wrist rests when I'm using my mouse. That's probably not helping.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 10:03:08 am
Just noticed it's where my wrist rests when I'm using my mouse. That's probably not helping.

I taught myself to use either hand for mouse work... useful if it starts to ache somewhere..

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 10:45:54 am

I taught myself to use either hand... useful if it starts to ache somewhere..

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#18 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 11:03:46 am
For work I got a 'handshake grip' vertical mouse which significantly reduced hand/wrist and elbow issues for me.

https://evoluent.com/

Evoluent claims to be the 'inventor of the handshake grip' which is a bold claim but I found their sideways mouse pretty intuitive. Added benefit of stopping people hotdesking on my desk due to inability to fear of the weird mouse.

andy_e

• forum hero
#19 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 11:30:58 am
Cheers, I should look into getting one of those.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 11:43:26 am
Try an ergonomic keyboard too.  Your employers should provide you with both if you spend a fair portion of your time sitting at a desk using them.

andy_e

• forum hero
#21 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 11:49:23 am
Alas, I'm not technically employed, so I'll need to try and persuade my supervisor of its importance to get any money out of him!

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Re: Odd hand pain...
November 21, 2016, 11:53:52 am
Added benefit of stopping people hotdesking on my desk due to inability to fear of the weird mouse.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal