UKBouldering.com

Are Apple rotten? (Read 51219 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#125 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 05:24:17 pm
Interesting, I've stayed on ios6 with my iphone 4 for fear of crippling it with ios7. Reading this makes me reconsider.....

Read about it more online - I had a check and many people post it slows it down... I dunno...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#126 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 29, 2014, 09:52:00 pm

Interesting, I've stayed on ios6 with my iphone 4 for fear of crippling it with ios7. Reading this makes me reconsider.....

Read about it more online - I had a check and many people post it slows it down... I dunno...
Still on the 4s, on iOS7.whatever. Speed up nicely at iOS7 and opted not to upgrade to a 5. You are spot on about clearing it out though. Even shutting down to open apps(double click home button and swipe up the open app screens), speeds it up again. Occasionally I realise I've got 20-30 apps open and a similar number of browser tabs...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#127 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:18:24 am
Remember to clear all the junk out of it regularly too. I use this but I guess there's an iOS version....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleanmaster.mguard&hl=en_GB

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#128 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:34:08 am
some data, some speculation:

I often grumble [...] that every time a new iPhone comes out, my existing iPhone seems to slow down. How convenient, I might think: Wouldn’t many business owners love to make their old product less useful whenever they released a newer one? When you sell the device and control the operating system, that’s an option.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/upshot/hold-the-phone-a-big-data-conundrum.html

Must be something subtle in the methodology because its hard to replicate figure 1 and even harder to replicate figure 2.

And is "iphone slow" really a good proxy?  It might show some correlation but could be used in conjunction with millions of other terms such as "maps" or "wifi" which would compound the results.  Could it be that the iminnent release of a new model make people think their phones are slow and they therefore search using such terms? The mentions the 1 month gap between announcement and release for 2008, but the graph is too poor resolution and doesn't have the announcement dates for other dates.

I bet very few people properly benchmark their devices and instead use subjective opinion based on a sample size of n = 1, just as one of the top comments  observed...

This is like taking a poll about the temperature outside instead of just going out with a thermometer. Why not just test the phones? Problem solved.

Oh I see its a Professor of Economics who wrote the article  :slap:

Even shutting down to open apps(double click home button and swipe up the open app screens), speeds it up again. Occasionally I realise I've got 20-30 apps open and a similar number of browser tabs...

That sounds like very poorly designed/implemented RAM management.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#129 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 11:31:53 am
Fwiw  my old, full of crap origonal 4 recently coverted to iOS 7 experience was it was slower. Then it died.. FairPlay, it was well battered and the charge connector interface just stopped working.

A mate has lent me another, it's a little newer.. But he did a full system reset before I put my sim in. It's on ios7. It's pretty darn fast.

Perhaps backups, full system resets and installs are worthwhile?

Sounds like a solution to a window device! ;)

I'm most probably going to skip a generation and get a iPhone 6, in the smaller of the two rumoured sizes. Only reason being so so many of those I communicate with socially are on iPhone around the globe, and iMessage works flawlessly IME

For my ancient 1st intel gen iMac I stopped os updates years ago, works fine. Best desktop computer I ever had.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#130 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 12:37:15 pm
iMessage is shit. On every other phone I've had, if you try to send a text with bad reception, it gets through by itself. iMessage just gives up and doesn't bother. One of the main reasons I may go back to android. That and swype.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#131 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 04:46:10 pm
Still no Swype on iPhones? WTF?!

Doylo

• forum hero
#132 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 07:08:57 pm
iMessage is shit. On every other phone I've had, if you try to send a text with bad reception, it gets through by itself. iMessage just gives up and doesn't bother. One of the main reasons I may go back to android. That and swype.

Ye unless you live somewhere with decent data connection I.e a town iMessage is a twat. I'm constantly having to hold it down when it's sending to send it as a normal txt.

dave

#133 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 09:40:56 pm
You benders must be on crack. iMessage is great. Integrates with normal texting yet uses data to text to other iPhones, and you can see if the text has been delivered/read, and send photos for no cost.

Doylo

• forum hero
#134 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 09:46:23 pm
Which is all very well and good as long as you've got data or wifi David! You wanna try living in the sticks ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#135 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 09:50:50 pm
Who pays for texts? It's 2014! Even the Nokia I had in 2001 could send a text by itself when it found reception.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#136 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 09:51:17 pm

Which is all very well and good as long as you've got data or wifi David! You wanna try living in the sticks ;) Boyo!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#137 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:10:14 pm
Frankly, that's bollocks. You converse with people in china and the states, where you know they are in 3 G or wifi its awesome. It's all a matter of what and who u need to contact. In a way that works, for u. What is shit for u... Works like a dream for others.. just choose the right device for your needs..

tomtom

• forum hero
#138 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:40:43 pm

Who pays for texts? It's 2014! Even the Nokia I had in 2001 could send a text by itself when it found reception.

When you're roaming you do.. iMessage is very useful overseas.. Esp outside of EU where roaming costs are loopy... No need to piss about with stuff like viber or other message apps..

Re other posts..
Mine seems to send as a text if it can't deliver as an iMessage after a while.. *shrugs*

While people are apple bashing I'd love to know if anyone's used anything better than FaceTime as it beats the living shit out of Skype whenever I've used both..

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#139 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:48:06 pm
Sounds a bit like some people aren't tech savvy enough to tick "send as text message" under "messages" in "settings" and are slagging off IMessage instead. Fair enough I say.

Doylo

• forum hero
#140 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:54:11 pm
I use it at home on the wifi but don't think to change the settings every time I walk out the door in case there's no 3G.

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#141 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 10:55:26 pm
Sounds a bit like some people aren't tech savvy enough to tick "send as text message" under "messages" in "settings" and are slagging off IMessage instead. Fair enough I say.

well, my settings tell my phone to send as text message when imessage doesn't work, but when the other party is out of the country that doesn't always work. and when i'm out of the country i often don't get other peoples messages who have the same settings (they will have gotten imessage sent confirmation, but i will only get them when i'm on the internet)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#142 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 30, 2014, 11:57:22 pm
not having used iMessage and being prone to a bit of apple bashing from time to time, i strikes me that sending text over data is only useful in 2 senario's.
1. when in a place with no phone signal but on wifi
2. when abroad and sending a text when your on wifi

failing this, when you want to send picture messages and to cover the above 2 points, just use whatsapp?

re facetime, again never used so can't comment but why is this different to a normal videocall?
Is facetime just limited to iphone users whereas video calls can occur between any capable phones?
I've used skype a few times and find it mildly annoying having to arrange time to call etc...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#143 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 07:37:41 am
just use whatsapp?

Word to that. For every iApp there's an App.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#144 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 07:49:41 am

I use it at home on the wifi but don't think to change the settings every time I walk out the door in case there's no 3G.

It always tries to use a data connection first, but sends as a normal text if data connection is too poor.

dave

#145 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 08:32:59 am
Jim, who wants to switch to a different app to send photos? And have to make sure the recipient also has the same app? Crazy.

Why do you think you need to arrange a time to Skype someone? All that needs to happen is that both parties need the app running, which assuming they're using a decent operating system then if they've opened the app in the past it is still "running" and hence they will show as being online and available for calls. Only a problem if people are on a real computer and insist on closing software they're not using.

FaceTime however I've never managed to make a single successful call or connection between either my phone or the wife's, or either of our iPads, even when on the same wifi network in the same room. And yes they are all set either to different apple IDs or deprecate email addresses for devices on the same apple ID. This is using either ios6 or ios7. Just doesn't work. Skype however works sweet every time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#146 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 09:04:18 am
Jim, who wants to switch to a different app to send photos? And have to make sure the recipient also has the same app? Crazy.

Not as crazy as the recipient having to have exactly the same brand of phone?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#147 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 09:13:52 am
who wants to switch to a different app to send photos? And have to make sure the recipient also has the same app? Crazy.

What SA Chris said.  Plus using a messaging application to take photos, which seems to be being implied by these posts, seems crazy to me.

A simpler, more universal approach is after having taken a picture using the "camera" you can then "share" it, straight from within the camera (or gallery application if you are sending something you took a while ago) .  Best of all you can choose which messaging application (email/hangouts/pushbullet/SMS/whatsapp/farcebook/twatter/flickr/picasa/[whatever you have installed]) you then wish to send it with.

I'm sending something to my wife, I'll use Hangouts since she has and uses that, but if I'm sending it to my parents I'll attach it to an email and send that since they don't have/use/understand Hangouts.

User choice, far better than bitching over x is better/worse than y.

which assuming they're using a decent operating system then if they've opened the app in the past it is still "running" and hence they will show as being online and available for calls. Only a problem if people are on a real computer and insist on closing software they're not using.

Thats absolutely nothing to do with the operating system and everything to do with how the software (since that is all an "app"lication is) has been designed.

dave

#148 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 09:14:44 am

Not as crazy as the recipient having to have exactly the same brand of phone?

iOS market share about 40% isn't it?

dave

#149 Re: Are Apple rotten?
July 31, 2014, 09:16:50 am
Slackers, Im on about sending photos, not taking photos, if you read my post. However you can share photos directly from the iOS camera/photos app anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal