UKBouldering.com

Board Share Directory map integration? (Read 4299 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Board Share Directory map integration?
August 18, 2012, 11:03:27 am
Word. I realised during an idle moment the other day that it might be useful if the board share thread was to have a map and pinpoints to each of the boards listed? Geo reference that shizzle. If given the knowhow (and if need be), I'm happy to beaver away and trawl through the thread to do this.

The idea essentially being that rather than being a thread where people have to continually and repeatedly ask about boards, they will be able to see at a glance where one is that would link to the profile of the host UKB board owner.

What do folk think?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
I'm in.

The Pigeon co-op

HD7 5BS

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Yup!
The Siena Climbing Club wall is in Via Duccio di Boninsegna, Siena, Italy.
The Florence Alpine Club wall is in Viale Malta 6, Florence Italy.

Monolith

• forum hero
So would the map sit within a link locked at the head of the thread? I'm I.T illiterate compared to most of you guys so any word on how best to set about this?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
You could use Google Fusion Tables to do this pretty easily. It geocodes based on postcode or address or you can us lat/long if it needs to be more accurate. You'd need to be careful about putting addresses on a public forum if they are in peoples homes.

Monolith

• forum hero
That's great thanks Obi. You're spot on about not pointing specifically to peoples houses. I should imagine just the first part of the postcode is enough information for users to go off. Presumably I'd need to gain the permission of forum admins to initiate this. As I say, I think it would improve the repository and I'm happy to help implement this change.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
That's great thanks Obi. You're spot on about not pointing specifically to peoples houses. I should imagine just the first part of the postcode is enough information for users to go off. Presumably I'd need to gain the permission of forum admins to initiate this. As I say, I think it would improve the repository and I'm happy to help implement this change.

You could either link to it or embed the map (with the forum owners help and permission). Either is pretty easy. You'd need to ask if people want their boards included, remembering even half a postcode will drop a marker in a specific location so you may want to explain this to avoid sweaty boulderers knocking on old Mrs Miggins front door asking to use her cellar.

You could use a Google Form to collect the info but you can't input data directly into a Fusion Table from a Form yet, so it's probably easiest to collate the data in a spreadsheet then upload it.

tomtom

• forum hero
Thinking of merging ideas... what you're suggesting would also work really well with the 8's list being developed on this thread...

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,20589.msg372475/topicseen.html#new

?

If you got the folks making the 8's list to put in grid references (or refs for the crag..) might be a nice addition? (and computationally the same task from what I can see..)

Monolith

• forum hero
I'll drop Greg a pm asap and see what's what. Like I say, I'm a technology punter but am happy to help with any manual input of data or whatever laborious task that is needed to do this.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 Re: Board Share Directory map integration?
September 13, 2012, 09:32:07 am
If you're a technology punter, what does that make me!? Cro Magnon Man?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal