UKBouldering.com

Yarrr, grog! A rum thread. (Read 5623 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 01:32:46 pm
Anybody on here big on grog? I've not had any in a while and I fancy a bottle of something special. Can't remember the name but someone suggested a nice bottle of it recently and I was hoping someone on here would jog my memory.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#1 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 01:41:19 pm
Behave!

It's not ITLaP Day until 19th September!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 02:08:07 pm
Ah, Elements 8 Spiced is what it's called, or so I've been reminded!

Lopez

• stalker
#3 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 06:14:38 pm
That'll depend on what you want. E8 spiced is nice, if you like your rum to taste like cinnamon that is... Not that is anything wrong with that, and E8 make excellent rums, but i wouldn't go for the spiced if i was after a Rum (in the strictest sense of the word)

What sort of thing are you after? Neat goodness? Ruining Mixing it up with something? A necking down bottle?

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 07:33:52 pm
Neat usually, but sometimes with a ginger beer.

rich d

• forum hero
#5 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 09:00:44 pm
Neat usually, but sometimes with a ginger beer.
mmmmm with a bit of lime and ginger beer a rum mule with loads of ice. Got to be Mountgay for that, but I am a heathen with an alcohol problem

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 09:01:29 pm
If mixing with ginger beer, my choice would be Gosling's Black Seal, for an authentic Dark 'n' Stormy. 

Never really got into the gourmet, sippin' rums.  Quite partial to Pusser's but that's probably because I have an affection for stuff redolent of the C18-C19 Royal Navy.  A rum enthusiast of my acquaintance used to rave about Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.  It's highly rated by rum fans but whilst I found it pleasant enough, I had a sneaking feeling I could recreate it with a bag of molasses sugar and some raw alcohol.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 09:17:43 pm
On it's own my three favourites are Angostura 1824,  Ron Zacappa and Diplomatico Reserva.

The first two will cost around £40 and the last comes in around £30. All amazing rums and worth every penny! 

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#8 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 09:58:43 pm
Mount Gay is clearly the best, but only because my sense of humour has failed to develop since i was six years old.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/Mount_Gay_Colour.svg/300px-Mount_Gay_Colour.svg.png

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 10:30:37 pm
Presumably your favourite bourbon is Knob Creek?!

Lopez

• stalker
#10 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 10:47:09 pm
Something to have a chase on through the local off-license is El Dorado 12 and 15. The former is better for mixing, the later for having neat. Many places still sell them at the 'old' price before rums went posh. I picked up a bottle of the 12 the other day for £13.

Diplomatico as above is a nice rum if you like them sweet, as is Pampero Aniversario, and available for a good price as well. Zacapa (23) is a good choice for a sweet tooth but retaining some 'class' and depth. A bit dearer though, at nearly 50 fuckalls.

Other good option following from the Navy rums mentioned by Moose is the Pusser's 15. A beautiful rum and very versatile which works perfectly in a Dark'n'stormy and goes down like heaven when drunk neat. I've gone through many a bottle of that. .. :alky:

Lopez

• stalker
#11 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 14, 2012, 10:53:24 pm
Presumably your favourite bourbon is Knob Creek?!

He also enjoys the odd toss

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#12 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 15, 2012, 03:50:29 pm
Right a few to go at:

Eldorado - as already mentioned the 12 and the 15 year old are fantastic and the 12 year old is perfectly good enough for sipping - probably my favourite of all the rums.

Diplomatico is excellent - had the Reserva which I really like but not the Exclusiva which is supposed to be a step up again.

Plantation Rum - the Barbados 5 Year Old is excellent and the Panama 2000 is even better.

The Pussers 15 year old has been mentioned and is fantastic - had it at a Rum Tasting night a few weeks ago and 93% evaporates in that time leaving you with a very flavoursome Rum indeed - Pussers isn't bad but can seem like you are drinking a Christmas Cake at times...

Personal favourite of mine is Pyrat XO - a bit of an aquired taste as it is very orangey but definitely trying at least once.

Ron Zaccapa 23 has been mentioned - awesome stuff and Angostura 1824 as well which is very good but Pampero I'm personally not that impressed by.

Lastly - the Mezan range can be interesting but I will have to do some research to remember which ones I like...

andy_e

• forum hero
#13 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 15, 2012, 04:04:31 pm
Anybody tried Bundaberg rum mate? Bundaberg ginger beer is bonza and I fancy trying it.

Lopez

• stalker
#14 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
August 15, 2012, 06:07:36 pm
Anybody tried Bundaberg rum mate?

Not worth the glass is bottled in...  Try to get some Fentimans for the best ginger beer out there.

Agree about the Plantation Panama, excellent rum, but sadly not a scratch on the 1997 which ran out 5 years ago.  :wavecry:

Not too impressed with the Angostura 1824, i still think the 1919 is a better rum.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#15 Re: Yarrr, grog! A rum thread.
November 22, 2012, 07:24:13 pm
For those wanting to treat themselves to an early Christmas present Aldi have got El Dorado 15 Year Old on at a pretty decent price of £35.99 a bottle at the minute.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal