UKBouldering.com

How to hide spoilers (Read 2925 times)

lukeh

• addict
How to hide spoilers
June 08, 2012, 07:41:59 pm
In the 'Anyone seen any good films lately' thread I attempted to hide spoilers under a NSFW cover, however, anyone who gets email notifications of the thread gets sent the whole message, with the NSFW bit unhidden.

Is there/can there be a more thorough way of hiding text? I've seen some boards which have a similar tool to the NSFW brackets, although I am not sure if it solves the problem of email notifications showing the hidden text.

Hope no-one skim read onto the spoilers who hadn't seen the film...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: How to hide spoilers
June 09, 2012, 08:59:19 am

I don't think there's really a solution to this that would please everyone.

When you get an email it's in plain text; there's isn't any javascript available and without javascript the NSFW tag show/hide functionality doesn't work.

So you could modify the forum to not send the spoiler text in the email but then that would just piss off anyone who did want the spoiler text in their email.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#2 Re: How to hide spoilers
June 09, 2012, 10:02:31 am
Could you edit the Spoiler txt so it was white (or whatever the background colour is)? It's hidden unless people highlight it. A rather inelegant solution.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: How to hide spoilers
June 09, 2012, 10:29:32 am
Erm, I guess that'd be possible if ukb notification emails are html emails but I thought they were just plain text?

This is going to be a problem in such a tiny number of cases I can't see it being worth the effort - do many people find this an issue?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: How to hide spoilers
June 09, 2012, 10:34:46 am
Not an issue for me, and I'd imagine very few others (can't be that many who subscribe for thread notifications, even less for the films thread).

lukeh

• addict
#5 Re: How to hide spoilers
June 09, 2012, 12:41:58 pm
Sounds like a bit of a non problem with no easy fix then! Main thing is that I wasn't missing something obvious  :).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal