UKBouldering.com

Climbing Wall in Or Around Tarragona? (Read 3280 times)

dezbert

Climbing Wall in Or Around Tarragona?
June 04, 2012, 08:58:45 am
Anyone know of a climbing wall in or near Tarragona? Heading there on a family holiday in a couple of weeks and would like to do some boulder circuits to keep fitness up for Ceuse the following month.

The UKC search turned up a place called La Cova in Reus so if anyone has any idea of whether it's still open and what facilities it provides that would be great..

Cheers

Dez

ali k

• junky
La Cova is still open, but it only opens in the evenings. It's quite a small, low and narrow room which gets incredibly hot, crowded and sweaty, and using chalk isn't really allowed due to the lack of ventilation. I can't say I'd recommend it to be honest. I've lived near Reus for four years now and haven't been back since my first visit.

Here's a link to Rocodromos in Catalunya, which might be of use. I can't give any advice though as in all the time I've been here I haven't felt the need to climb indoors (why would you?). If you wanted to do some bouldering outside I can recommend La Riba for a half day or two. It's about 40mins from Tarragona.

http://solobulder.wordpress.com/2008/01/25/rocodromos-cataluna/

dezbert

Ali, thanks very much for that. I can understand why you would never feel the need to use a wall with the amount of rock there is in that area... Where do you climb in the summer?

I won't be bringing a rope with me on this trip as this is the holiday where my wife is supposed to get a break from holding my ropes but I would be up for having a look at the bouldering you have suggested.. Would it be a decent venue without a mat or spotters? Or possible travering? Just looking to get a workout while away to maintain fitness over the fortnight..

Cheers

ali k

• junky
I'm generally not here in proper summer, but shady sectors in Siurana and Margalef provide some respite from the heat and then of course there are loads of places further up towards the Pyrenees.

La Riba is fine without a mat. The landings are flat in general and loads of traverse problems.

The boulders are here: 41.317518,1.166908
And the parking here: 41.320157,1.175245

Guide available from the refuge up towards the sport crags. Don't go expecting Fontainebleau but it's pretty decent and a nice spot once you're out of the grim town itself.

dezbert

Nice one Ali thanks for the help... Sounds like it will be perfect for what I need

Cheers

Dez

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal