UKBouldering.com

2012 feedback request/ direness survey (Read 32729 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Sorry if this is obvious, but would it need integrating? Skin it so that it appears the same and run them side by side? I understand that runs the risk of the forum (or the content) looking like something tagged on.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Greg; yes have been looking at integrating the existing SMF forums into a CMS - there have been various possibilities but when investigated nothing has been really robust enough to pursue - e.g. they've only been partially functional, no longer supported, etc.  Part of the problem has been the SMF licence agreement; there was a proper SMF / Joomla bridge but because the chosen licenses became incompatible it was shelved.

Of course sticking with SMF isn't set in stone and recently we've been evaluating alternative forum software which may open the way to better CMS integration.

Sorry if this is obvious, but would it need integrating? Skin it so that it appears the same and run them side by side? I understand that runs the risk of the forum (or the content) looking like something tagged on.
I think it would really - can you imagine needing one login/password for the forum, then another if you wanted to comment on an article, photo or vote on a problem database grade, etc?  It'd be a right pain.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I think it would really - can you imagine needing one login/password for the forum, then another if you wanted to comment on an article, photo or vote on a problem database grade, etc?  It'd be a right pain.

Login's are already concurrent between the Forum and the Wiki though (accepting that it may not be possible with software other than SMF/Wikimedia combo used there).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

That's a case of good luck really that some nice person had written a working bridge that has stayed working with newer version of mediawiki/smf - it's really hard to find equivalents for most CMS.

There is a paid for CMS that claims full SMF integration but there's no demo and no showcase site so hard to justify the outlay.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal