UKBouldering.com

2012 feedback request/ direness survey (Read 32981 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
I could do a poo in a dictionary, that would also fit the strictest definition of a logbook.

If a post ever deserved a wad point...... duly wadded!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Slackline - The fact that funding is tight and an ongoing problem for such sites is likely to make any sort of offer an attractive prospect I'd have thought. Essentially you get to keep your labour of love without having to perpetually find ways to pay for it. Plus they get to see the site expand and prosper. What's the downside? Obviously there'd be conditions of transfer to protect against resale or change of function etc.

Set in that context then from the sellers perspective I can't think of one, for the buyer though there is raising the initial capital and taking the financial risk with relatively little known about the likely return on investment (be it through donations/adbanners/click-throughs).

I'm not saying its a bad idea, it would actually be good to see such sites grow and prosper, but someone somewhere has to cover the costs and would no doubt like to at least cover these through advertising, sales or other means so they're not paying out of their own pocket.  Some of these costs are mitigated by using external video and image hosting as it helps keep server costs down because they're not hosted by Rose Hosting where each time someone views a forum the server would have to transmit them to the device viewing the site, which ups bandwidth usage and costs money.

But those decisions lie with the insect overlords (or others with deep pockets willing to throw some money in the virtual kitty).

Paul B

• forum hero
From what I gather (from Gareth), the costs of peakbouldering.info, are not all that substantial. All the videos are hosted elsewhere etc as linux tells us.

I think time is the limiting function in its growth but thats just a guess from brief conversations whilst badgering him about functionality (usually he's belaying for a solid 45mins so can't get away).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#53 2012 feedback request/ direness survey
April 24, 2012, 05:08:12 pm
Here's our recently-outed previously-secret Facebook page :-[

Like us if you like. Then we can get our own URL.  :bounce:

Of course, as I was driving I realised; using the FB page through your own FB account; circumvents the anonymity of your UKB user name...

Unless you use your UKB name on FB?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#54 2012 feedback request/ direness survey
April 24, 2012, 05:22:05 pm
Slackline - The fact that funding is tight and an ongoing problem for such sites is likely to make any sort of offer an attractive prospect I'd have thought. Essentially you get to keep your labour of love without having to perpetually find ways to pay for it. Plus they get to see the site expand and prosper. What's the downside? Obviously there'd be conditions of transfer to protect against resale or change of function etc.

Set in that context then from the sellers perspective I can't think of one, for the buyer though there is raising the initial capital and taking the financial risk with relatively little known about the likely return on investment (be it through donations/adbanners/click-throughs).

I'm not saying its a bad idea, it would actually be good to see such sites grow and prosper, but someone somewhere has to cover the costs and would no doubt like to at least cover these through advertising, sales or other means so they're not paying out of their own pocket.  Some of these costs are mitigated by using external video and image hosting as it helps keep server costs down because they're not hosted by Rose Hosting where each time someone views a forum the server would have to transmit them to the device viewing the site, which ups bandwidth usage and costs money.

But those decisions lie with the insect overlords (or others with deep pockets willing to throw some money in the virtual kitty).

Hmm,

You would be buying the good bits (data, functionality etc) without a significant increase in your overhead (it would not need an increase in bandwidth etc). The sites themselves would disappear to become pages on UKB. There would be a high likelihood of bringing the other sites users (excluding overlap) across...
Bringing extra data and functionality into the existing site, giving an other hook to draw advertisers in.
Not exactly a detailed business plan, but it covers the basics; the only unknown is the outlay on acquisition.

I would not object to a little more advertising (as long as it's not for some PPI recovery shite) and I think if the insect overlords found they were making a bit on the side; well, good.
That might keep the site going longer and give incentive to keep the content fresh.

Disclaimer.
Having read the above, remember, I just stopped for coffee in Bristol, having driven from Sheerness and only 4 hrs sleep and cannot be held responsible for my own drivel...,

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#56 2012 feedback request/ direness survey
April 24, 2012, 07:24:28 pm
Actually...
I was merely pointing out that the page existed as someone mentioned it before.

I was wondering about the possibility of a "share" button to twitter or FB, from the forum.
I've often read things, or seen pictures/vids etc etc on here that I wanted to share.
So I copy the URL of the page and post that. This directs to the page not the object, so requires an explanation on the post and so on.

The flipboard app (is there an android version?) is a little like taptalk, but allows you to suck in FB, twitter, news channels, forums, magazines etc etc into a single chaptered magazine format on a tablet.

In truth, the forum (on taptalk) is the first place I go in the morning, then check my mail, then the BBC news site, then FB and twitter. By which time I've finished my coffee and it's time to start the day.
So the current format suits me fine.

Sharing a few choice items to the FB page might just draw in a few newbies and that can't be a bad thing, can it?
A headline or two?

Edit..
Anyone can post a URL onto the FB page, if you think a topic might attract outside interest.

No, YBY, not that.

psychomansam

• forum hero
I don't see any ads on ukb due to the adblocker thingy on my firefox. Does this mean I'm not supporting ukb? There's prob some way I can make an exception for a site. maybe. As if i know. The ukb ads weren't annoying before, and were sometimes entertaining. I used to click on them out of loyalty, but I'm too tight to pay for owt.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
a block user function would be welcomed

Greg C

• forum hero
Personally, I think UKB would benefit a great deal if it was integrated into a proper website platform. By that I mean, the site is currently a forum endeavouring to be a website, which would be fine if that was all it was. However, as things like reviews, articles etc. have appeared I think the site would have a lot more worth (particularly over time) if it had some kind of CMS database platform managing these types of content - to help with site searches and prevent article type content becoming bogged down and lost in a continuum of normal forum banter. It would also help manage/aggregate all the other exterior levels of UKB (i.e. the Vimeo FB pages etc.) into one focal point, so you could categorise videos, topos etc.

Still think it is a useful medium as it is, just think this fundamental change would add masses of value to the site.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:38:36 pm by Greg C »

cofe

• forum hero
I'd agree with that Greg.

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular
Had been planning to reply at some stage but may have left it a bit late  :-[

Lots of useful stuff here - thanks.

I guess we have three generic responses to the various points raised: 1. we agree and are doing something about it; 2. we agree and would like to do something about it but lack time and resources at the moment; 3. we don't agree. Mostly it's 2s.

Generally we are procrastinating on anything that requires a proper software solution. Once you commit to a certain direction - free package vs commercial package vs bespoke solution - it's tough to change course. So we are tending to stand back at the moment. If we do move forward it may be that we address lots of stuff simultaneously. There's a related philosophical issue as to how commercial we/ you really want to be? Serious investment in the site probably only makes sense if we also intend to chase income more aggressively ... which might spoil the place.

Basically it's still :-\ mode for now.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Serious investment in the site probably only makes sense if we also intend to chase income more aggressively ... which might spoil the place.

By which I assume what - some kinda subscription service?

I know that my gut reaction would be against it, but thinking about it logically I get so much from this site (news, beta, videos, partners) for free then I'd be happy to pay a monthly fee to use. But then again I'm a pretty prolific user.

So, that's a can of worms open.  :worms:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Nobody's going to pay a subscription unless a site is offering a shit load of unique A+ content, I suspect it'd just mean more adverts/sponsored posts/etc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:46:55 pm by Bubba »

ukb

• Administrator
  • regular

Serious investment in the site probably only makes sense if we also intend to chase income more aggressively ... which might spoil the place.

No, we have not considered that at all.

Chasing income means pursuing advertisers more energetically. Which might or might not require some editorial change.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Personally, I think UKB would benefit a great deal if it was integrated into a proper website platform. By that I mean, the site is currently a forum endeavouring to be a website, which would be fine if that was all it was. However, as things like reviews, articles etc. have appeared I think the site would have a lot more worth (particularly over time) if it had some kind of CMS database platform managing these types of content - to help with site searches and prevent article type content becoming bogged down and lost in a continuum of normal forum banter. It would also help manage/aggregate all the other exterior levels of UKB (i.e. the Vimeo FB pages etc.) into one focal point, so you could categorise videos, topos etc.

Still think it is a useful medium as it is, just think this fundamental change would add masses of value to the site.

I'm in total agreement and looked into this many times before (and since in role of advisor) the site sale.  However, the site has historically been built on a feature-rich forum and I've yet to find a good CMS that offers anything more than very basic forum functionality in comparison.  I don't the userbase would be happy being suddenly limited to the rather poor offerings that come as part of most CMS solutions.

ianv

• forum abuser
Chasing income means pursuing advertisers more energetically. Which might or might not require some editorial change.

Is mick ryan at a loose end?, he would be ace.   :whistle:

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

No, we have not considered that at all.

That's good to know - I was just saying that personally I'd have no issues with a nominal fee.

I assume the advertising benefit would come from the traffic that comes here which I guess would be reduced if it was a paid site.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Nobody's going to pay a subscription unless a site is offering a shit load of unique A+ content, I suspect it'd just mean more adverts/sponsored posts/etc

NSFWDFBWGC?

:worms:

jus kiddin...

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Personally, I think UKB would benefit a great deal if it was integrated into a proper website platform.

I'd agree with that Greg.

Has Jon hacked into your account?

cofe

• forum hero
Funny you should mention that, I do know of a web design company...

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
More Tshirts with amusing in jokes and slogans to make us seem even more smug and superior.

Not in black.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Some in black,
Please.

Greg C

• forum hero

I'm in total agreement and looked into this many times before (and since in role of advisor) the site sale.  However, the site has historically been built on a feature-rich forum and I've yet to find a good CMS that offers anything more than very basic forum functionality in comparison.  I don't the userbase would be happy being suddenly limited to the rather poor offerings that come as part of most CMS solutions.

I didn't mean get rid of the SMF forum, I meant integrate it into a CMS (or the like) website, thus allowing better categorisation of 'real' content - content on the site, forum stuff in the forum. The line between real content and forum banter on this site is hazy and ambiguous at best (not meant as a criticism just the way I see it), and I think you have to be a VERY regular user to be able to find much of the often very useful info which appears. I often miss/can't find stuff, and I generally have a look 3-4 times a week... although this may be because I am a simple minded dullard.

From a commercial point of view, and speaking as someone who looks after the advertising of a potential UKB customer, I wouldn't advertise on here until it gets more structure - i.e. becomes a proper website. Obviously reading through what the overlords have said, they are not necessarily interested in making it a more commercial venture at present, in which case non of this matters. However, if at some point improving the financial gain does become a serious consideration, I would have thought other potential advertising customers may have a similar view to my own. As an aside, Google has had its algorithm altered a few times in the last few years to decrease the importance of "traditional forum content" within a search, thus this may also effect the site's worth over time.

Greg C

• forum hero
Fair enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal