UKBouldering.com

TdF coming to Yorkshire? (Read 25685 times)

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#75 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 30, 2014, 04:39:24 pm
Nice little free TdF fantasy competition to enter if anyone is interested?
Maybe set up a UKB league??
Add a bit of interest for those without the cycling bug but like to compete?  :jab:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#76 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 30, 2014, 07:53:30 pm
I have parking tickets for Bradfield, but I think I might sack it off

Hmm, that was my plan. Where did you get parking tickets?

T_B

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
#78 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 03, 2014, 10:29:51 pm
So my Manchester side plans to watch on Sunday with a pal, are to be by the section coming up from nr Rochdale past Blackstones... Park at the pennine way car park off the M62 on the top - then potter along the Pennine way (about an hour) north to the route. Set up camp on a random bit of roadside, have some cans - watch it go by - maybe have a pint then potter back :)

Its all a bit random (it seems to me) as to where the best spots are going to be - as the climbs (Holme moss etc.) will be rammed.. so I figured the above spot involves no parking issues - is uphill (so they'll be a little slower) and nearish a pub...

If anyone else wants to come along happy to meet at the M62 car park and wander along together etc...

rich d

• forum hero
#79 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 09:58:09 am
So final plans sorted. Travelling up from Notts to mum and dad's at Rawdon tonight after work (might be busy on the roads) then 2 mile trip to Guisley station first thing in morning, 10 mins train to Ilkley (might be busy) then watch the caravan 10ish and the tour 12ish come through (might be busy). I'm now going with wife and kids, but should still be able to sneak a few beers in (might be busy).
Anyone else about in Ilkley?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#80 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 12:42:48 pm
Oh God Oh God Oh God. It's here at last!

Setting out on the bikes tomorrow. Bingley to Kidstones or some point before. The roads past Skipton will be closed and I envisage hundreds if not thousands of bikes all making their way north. I honestly cannot wait.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

rich d

• forum hero
#81 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 01:12:54 pm
Just bought the kids 2 bright yellow T shirts. Allez Le Yorkshire!! :dance1:

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#82 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 02:44:02 pm
The circus is in town in Ilkley. Well there's a bit of a fairground in the park anyway.

Apparently Angelina. Brad and the Beckhams were sighed yesterday in Betty's which seems appealingly incogruous, though we all know the attractions of a Yorkshire Fat Rascall. 

I had half-formed plans to see the Tour somewhere on a hill, but it seems tomorrow will be essentially a bbq crawl. Might mtb over to Hebden Bridge on Sunday.

Excellent pic by the way. Ilkley CC had a tweed ride yesterday. As I did the White Rose Classic last weekend I should be on a roadbike tip. but am contemplating the headwind commute home with a recently dislocated toe, with no enthusiasm whatsoever.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#83 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 10:04:28 pm
After much pondering I think family erm, sam will be  trying the Tomtom approach. Though as we will be dawdling with kids I plan to leave a lot of time and pack a lot of sweets..

tomtom

• forum hero
#84 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 10:09:30 pm
Aside from the getting a good spot factor - how early do you have to get there? Eg if it's coming past at 2 is there any shizzle that goes through first that's worth getting there earlier for? (Normal roadside spot nothing fancy)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#85 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 04, 2014, 11:15:34 pm
My understanding is that a couple of hours before the race comes through a load of lorries and cars drives past dispensing sweets, frizbees and such to spectators. We are planning to be in situ for that, but if I didn't have kids I don't think I would be so bothered. The timetable here:http://letour.yorkshire.com/documents/tdf/timings/TDF2014TimetableStage2.pdf suggest it will be at 12 or so. We are planning to be there then, but are allowing so much much time for walking across and possible bad traffic we could also arrive an hour before then even. Will have stove for hot chocolate, camping chairs, lunch, books, god knows what with us so hoping to be able to spend a few hours road waiting without extreme bordom setting in. See you roadside, as the cyclists blurr past in 10 seconds..

tomtom

• forum hero
#86 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 05, 2014, 06:00:58 am
Cheers Sam - I'll see how we feel/what time we drag ourselves out etc.. I'll pm my mobile number if you fancy saying hello on the day - though the feasibility of that  probably depends whether or not there are 10 000 people on that stretch or you, me, some sheep and a load of uncollected free frisbees ;)

Have a good one! (I'm trying to think of something to paint on the road now - resisting the temptation to draw a giant phallus...)

rossydoodle61

• player
#87 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 05, 2014, 09:57:13 am
In case anyone else is in need of ideas or a plan, I'll share my ponderings.

I'm approaching from Macclesfield direction, but not sure I want to have to drive round Manchester to find a quieter spot, so I'll be parking the car somewhere nearish to Glossop and then riding in from there.

According to all reports, Glossop is going to be mental busy with road closures galore, so I'm going to hope that New Mills down t'road isn't as busy and leave the car there before riding in the rest of the way. This means I'll only really have the option of watching around Holme Moss, which is obviously going to be busy, but I hope it's not too nuts. As long as I get a good spot to see, I'm happy to soak up any Ventoux style atmosphere.

Apparently the roads are open for an hour before the caravan arrives, which will be roughly 2 hours before the race. So I'd say 3 hours before the race is due to get to your spot would be a good time to be there at least in terms of access and approach. Enjoy!

rossydoodle61

• player
#88 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 05, 2014, 09:58:45 am
Having said that, if when I get on my bike tomorrow morning and it is all completely excessively bonkers, I may fall on plan B and drive around to a quieter spot. I think I'll just be so excited that I won't care though.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#89 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 06, 2014, 07:18:39 am
Inspired by traffic predictions on here and my TdF psyched/ time-cautious girlfriend I left Nottingham at 5:10 and have been parked at High Bradfield for an hour. Someone is already ringing a cowbell.

I haven't owned a bike since I was 15 and have only the loosest grasp of what the race involves but the psyche is almost as infectious as that jolly accordion music on the TV coverage.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#90 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 06, 2014, 07:58:43 am
apologies for Farcebook link

my sister's celebration of Le Tour -  better than The Road

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152924506643272&set=vb.558273271&type=2&theater

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#91 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 06, 2014, 08:49:44 am
Apparently the roads are open for an hour before the caravan arrives, which will be roughly 2 hours before the race.

To cyclists

rossydoodle61

• player
#92 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 06, 2014, 08:55:43 am
Apparently the roads are open for an hour before the caravan arrives, which will be roughly 2 hours before the race.

To cyclists
Aye, that's why I'm planning on leaving the car down in New Mills, or somewhere relatively quiet.

Looking forward to riding on those roads car free shortly.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#93 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
July 11, 2014, 12:55:38 pm
a little blog from Holme valley Mountain rescue who were looking after holme moss over the weekend sounds like a busy weekend

http://holmevalleymrt.org.uk/2014/07/09/hvmrt-manage-several-incidents-over-tour-de-france-weekend/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal