UKBouldering.com

TdF coming to Yorkshire? (Read 25680 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#51 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
May 15, 2014, 10:29:39 pm
We're trying to organise our Tour watching and I'm a bit unsure of what the situ with road closures will be. I was planning on cycling out to a likely climb or stretch of road in the morning but the info is that roads will be closed from approx half 5. Does this mean closed to vehicles or closed to cyclists and peds as well? Any idea what time we'll need to get there?

Stubbs

#52 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
May 15, 2014, 10:33:25 pm
Closed for cars, open for bikes probably until the caravan comes through? Schedules here http://letour.yorkshire.com/timings

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#55 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
May 16, 2014, 11:00:55 am
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#56 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
May 16, 2014, 11:14:05 am
 :slap: :lol:
You'd think he would have checked the suitability of the paint......

https://twitter.com/mattslaterbbc/status/467240827832782848

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#57 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
May 16, 2014, 11:24:51 am
He's firmly moved over the line to sad.  :chair:

rich d

• forum hero
#58 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 06, 2014, 10:48:13 am
Looks like Wiggins is out...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27729769  :thumbsdown: wonder if it's because they fear he won't follow team orders or Froome doesn't want him there. Seems a shame, after the tour of California I could have seen him doing a super domestique role, setting a fast pace at the front until the climbs get really steep and negating attacks.
Personally I'd have loved to see 2 British tour winners in the flesh riding in the tour.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#59 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 06, 2014, 12:29:17 pm
Looks like Wiggins is out...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/27729769  :thumbsdown: wonder if it's because they fear he won't follow team orders or Froome doesn't want him there. Seems a shame, after the tour of California I could have seen him doing a super domestique role, setting a fast pace at the front until the climbs get really steep and negating attacks.
Personally I'd have loved to see 2 British tour winners in the flesh riding in the tour.

Totally agree, and I too am a little cofuddled about this, though suspect Brailsford wants a united team and the hatchet is too big to bury! Personality wise, Wiggins would get my vote, but its looks externally at least as though Froome is making the call on this.

Shame. Damn shame.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#60 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 18, 2014, 10:09:16 am
Just got this at work and thought some might be interested....

Saturday July 5th & Sunday July 6th
12-5pm
Furnace Park, Doncaster Street, Sheffield S3 7RA

This is a call for 10-20 minute interventions / talks / performances approaching the broad theme of TOUR from a multiplicity of perspectives (beyond and including the Tour de France)

This PODIUM event - a kind of Sheffield Speakers' Corner -  is part of the Changing Gears festival - a critical deconstruction of the Tour de France - that will take place at Furnace Park (Shalesmoor) on the weekend of July 5-6th.

All PODIUM speakers will receive two complimentary tickets (worth #30) for an evening performance of PEDAL PUSHER by Theatre Delicatessen, which will run from 1st - 6th July.

Please submit a title and 50-word proposal as soon as possible to Amanda Crawley Jackson (a.j.jackson@sheffield.ac.uk)

For more information about the Changing Gears festival, please visit www.theatredelicatessen.co.uk

Information related to this message is available at http://www.occursus.org.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#62 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 19, 2014, 01:55:27 pm
handy

Stubbs

#64 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 11:31:46 am
No Wiggo, fuck you Team Sky, I'll be supporting Bertie and Kwiatkowski instead !

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#65 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 11:59:37 am
 :agree:

iain

• forum abuser
#66 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 01:24:20 pm
I'm not going to miss him. Whilst I like him and he is an amazing athlete, 2012 was great, he is also a high maintenance drama queen with a dubious history of being committed in a supporting role when it doesn't suit him (or when he's being 'difficult')

Teams are there to win, totally understand Brailsford leaving him out. Doing the tour is hard enough without having someone as unpredictable as he is along.

rich d

• forum hero
#67 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 01:36:57 pm
I'm not going to miss him. Whilst I like him and he is an amazing athlete, 2012 was great, he is also a high maintenance drama queen with a dubious history of being committed in a supporting role when it doesn't suit him (or when he's being 'difficult')

Teams are there to win, totally understand Brailsford leaving him out. Doing the tour is hard enough without having someone as unpredictable as he is along.

Yep, but he's the first British winner of the Tour de France, and a fucking legend he should be there for the start of the tour. Sky really are making themselves look like a set of twats with this, and reminding everyone that team sky is part of the evil empire. What are they going to do once Froome get's done for doping? And Porte as his super domestique? At least there's Cav to shout on.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#68 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 02:10:20 pm

iain

• forum abuser
#69 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 02:15:18 pm
Yep, but he's the first British winner of the Tour de France,

... when he wasn't the best rider there and had to be talked out of walking away from the race whilst wearing yellow.
Olympic gold was all his though, that was fantastic to see.

The tour isn't a parade, he should only be there if he deserves to be. He said he's in the same form as two years ago but doesn't have the results to back that up.

reminding everyone that team sky is part of the evil empire. What are they going to do once Froome get's done for doping? And Porte as his super domestique?

I do wish we had a brit team sponsored by someone else, but if you believe that Froome is managing to dope as part of the team then you're tarring all the other riders, incl. wiggins and thomas, and the whole of british cycling with the same brush.
I would like to know why they're not a part of the MPCC.

All a little OT, thanks for the link fatboy.

Stubbs

#70 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 02:21:49 pm
The tour isn't a parade, he should only be there if he deserves to be. He said he's in the same form as two years ago but doesn't have the results to back that up.

In the races where he hasn't been ill or crashed, he seems to have done rather well, ToC, Paris Roubaix, the British TT.  Cycling has a long history of difficult, passionate, excellent riders and Wiggo is another one of those. Sky are fucking boring without him and I hope they don't win, that's only my opinion, and you're welcome to your obviously!

iain

• forum abuser
#71 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 27, 2014, 05:07:19 pm
Cycling has a long history of difficult, passionate, excellent riders and Wiggo is another one of those.

Completely agree.

Dolly

• forum hero
#72 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 30, 2014, 01:44:02 pm
So where is anyone Sheff side watching the race from ?
I'll have an 11 year old and a 5 year old with me. Was thinking about getting the tram to Meadowhall, then walking up Jenkin Road to the Wincobank Hub. Should be stuff for the girls to do there, toilets, food etc and also hopefully will be able to see some action on the steepest road in the tour

T_B

• forum hero
#73 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 30, 2014, 02:52:36 pm
I have parking tickets for Bradfield, but I think I might sack it off in case the traffic is too bad. Thinking Herries Rd as you can walk there easily enough from the Leppings Lane tram stop and it's a reasonably long hill. And might not be too busy.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#74 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
June 30, 2014, 04:16:59 pm
Someone on FB recommended this site with useful info
http://www.hedgehogcycling.co.uk/tour-de-france.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal