UKBouldering.com

TdF coming to Yorkshire? (Read 25679 times)

Stubbs

#25 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 10:38:20 am
So glad that there's going to be two proper stages in Yorkshire rather than two transfer stages; looks like they'll take in most of the classic hills around this way too!

rich d

• forum hero
#26 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 10:56:21 am
Is the first stage on the Friday or the Saturday?

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
#27 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 11:03:33 am
If they are going through Holmfirth then surely Le Col de Moss is on the route!
This means I can see about 5 miles of the course from my back garden!

Stubbs

rich d

• forum hero
#29 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 11:08:27 am
Class just need to work out where will be best to see them ilkley/outlet way

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#30 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 11:10:57 am
Holmfirth - Sheffield on the Tour of Britain has usually been Holme Moss - Snake Pass - Hathersage.

Unfortunately, I can't think of 1 street in the center of Sheffield suitable for a good Tour finish.

andy_e

• forum hero
#31 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 11:25:24 am
Class just need to work out where will be best to see them ilkley/outlet way

From the White Hart pub in Pool-in-Wharfedale?  :beer2:

Stubbs

Stabbsy

• junky
#33 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 11:54:20 am
Holmfirth - Sheffield on the Tour of Britain has usually been Holme Moss - Snake Pass - Hathersage.

Unfortunately, I can't think of 1 street in the center of Sheffield suitable for a good Tour finish.
That was my guess as well - the corner at the bottom of Holme Moss to turn up Woodhead is too sharp for them to try and negotiate at speed, so I reckon they'll go down the back Woodhead Road to Glossop and then up the Snake from there. (EDIT - just seen Stubbs's post. That corner at the bottom of Holme Moss is really sharp - I checked it out when I was home at Christmas - maybe they'll alter the road junction before next year?)

Day 1 looks like it will go past Kilnsey, so no parking in the verges by the crag that day!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#34 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 12:32:03 pm
Egad! Ripponden Bank!  :2thumbsup:

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#35 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 03:00:43 pm
they've missed out stainburn, greenhow, tan hill as well as the mighty langbar... on the plus side the route does go within about 50m of my house :dance1: 

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
January 17, 2013, 11:48:19 pm
So me and the missus dragged ourselves into Leeds on a very cold and snowy evening for the big "unveiling" of the route. What a waste of time! The route had already gone out and so there was no surprise there. There was nothing really about the race or the route, just a list of towns and a map that you had to squint at that flashed up ever so briefly. There was clearly some big party going on inside the town hall for some celebs, none of whom had anything to do with cycling as far as I'm aware. The compere dragged over a lady who'd apparently been on I'm a Celebrity... and the bloke who played Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films who duly made some completely inane comments about Bradley Wiggins.
We left about half way through, as did many others. Its nice that they put on an event but it was totally spoilt by the fact that the route had already been revealed and the complete lack of any useful insight into the route and what plans there were to fix up the roads to make it raceable.

Anyway, enough moaning. Let the race do the talking  :boxing:

rich d

• forum hero
#37 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 09:42:53 am
so where's everyone watching it from?
After looking at the price of some of the campsites and road closures I'm a bit stuck. My current plan is, go to mum and dad's at rawdon (5 miles from Ilkley and Otley) on the Friday night. Get up early on the Saturday and either drive as close to Ilkley as I can get  via the back roads towards the cow calf. Then walk into Ilkley, however it's possible that the entire area will be gridlocked and it means I can't drink.
The other option is to get the bus over on Friday night, doss on Ilkley moor, early morning session on the back of the calf, wander down to Ilkley then make my way back after the race and a few beers.
We were originally thinking of the whole family going, but as time goes on it seems trickier and trickier with the kids. (honest  :icon_beerchug:)

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 09:53:34 am
I'm intending to get up late. Have a nice breakfast, maybe read the paper then switch on the TV :)

More sherioushly - nearest spot to MrsTT's is Holme moss etc.. So was thinking of ditching the motor as far as possible up the Woodhead and cycle the rest.. Half baked as it may appear..

rich d

• forum hero
#39 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 10:13:33 am
Might end up on the train from Guisely to Ilkley seems to go every 20 mins or so and would remove the hassle of trying to find parking during the road closures. Quite fancy getting there early and seeing it build up with a beer in hand, then watch the finish on the big screen/in a pub.

galpinos

• forum hero
#40 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 11:43:04 am
As I don't know the roads very well in this part of the world, any idea where a good spot to watch would be on Day 1 north of Harrogate (near Northallerton)? Might stay at the mother-in-law's then head down en famille.

That, or I quite fancy parking up on the road in the camper and be sat out in a deckchair in the sun, beer in hand as per the French, I might even put on fancy dress and chase them up hill. I guess the roadside parking won't work though!

flyguy

• addict
#41 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 12:18:29 pm
Not sure where I'm going to watch it yet. It goes right past my work and we got a letter to say the road will be closed for 8 hours and any cars parked on the side of the road will be towed away. so I guess wherever your going to watch it you need to get there early.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#42 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 01:25:55 pm
it goes within 50 yards of my sister's house, so will probably stand at the end of her road with the kids

otherwise I'd have chosen The Flying Duck in Ilkley for beer and location

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#43 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 03:09:02 pm
rich d you are obviously just using the TdF being in Yorkshire as an excuse to ditch the wife and offspring for a days boozing and watching sport in a pub.

And for this, I salute you.

rich d

• forum hero
#44 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 04:18:42 pm
rich d you are obviously just using the TdF being in Yorkshire as an excuse to ditch the wife and offspring for a days boozing and watching sport in a pub.

It's a once in a lifetime event, not sure if the media are referring to the tour in yorkshire or  my chance to have some pre marital style boozing, I believe the World Cup quarter finals are on that night too.  :icon_beerchug:
Did those UKB cycle shirts ever get made? Be good to get one on the tour tv coverage.

tomtom

• forum hero
#45 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 05:16:09 pm

:D Brilliant

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#46 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 09:05:00 pm
Côte de Blubberhouses
  :clap2:
Côte d'Oughtibridge
  :clap2: Suddenly house prices in Oughtibridge have shot up.
Like to see Sheffield City Council is helpful as ever with a Excel spreadsheet of road closures, rather than creating a map which would make life far too easy.  :slap:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#47 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 23, 2014, 10:25:27 pm
Côte d'Oughtibridge
  :clap2: Suddenly house prices in Oughtibridge have shot up.

I doubt it compared to the national average. It's really quite awful out there. Have you been?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#48 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 28, 2014, 08:50:54 am
either going to the bottom of my road (chapel hill in Huddersfield) or holmfirth.
Plenty of choice of decent boozers on the route :)

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#49 Re: TdF coming to Yorkshire?
April 28, 2014, 03:04:59 pm
Reckon I'll cycle from Sheff to Holme Moss on the morning of the York-Sheff stage, a couple of cans in me jersey should aleviate any boredom while waiting for the peleton to arrive (and add to thrill of the descent) - Anyone on here doing the same? 

Also would be well keen for a UKB jersey if they ever get made!!

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal