UKBouldering.com

Deadlifting (Read 240347 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#575 Re: Deadlifting
August 11, 2016, 08:30:25 am
In addition to the Mark Rippetoe recommendations - watched this one last night which I'd never seen before, a very good all round tutorial.

The side angle is very useful in ascertaining what Nibs said about keeping a flat back.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#576 Re: Deadlifting
August 11, 2016, 08:40:02 am
Great video indeed. Lifting your chest is the single best advice I've read about lifting anything from the ground. Most effective. I've noticed a big difference.

mark s

• junky
#577 Re: Deadlifting
August 28, 2016, 06:24:38 pm
i entered a local strongman comp today and one of the events was a timed deadlift. 130kg and a minute to do as many as possible. i won with 23 but bloody hell it nearly finished me. my hamstrings were hurt. i did 18 i think in 30 seconds but i knew i needed to get more than 22. as soon as i had 23 i stopped.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#578 Re: Deadlifting
August 28, 2016, 07:26:53 pm
Sounds like you just won a crossfit event.  ;)

mark s

• junky
#579 Re: Deadlifting
August 28, 2016, 08:53:38 pm
 :lol: oh no

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#580 Re: Deadlifting
August 29, 2016, 11:19:11 am
Did that win you the whole event?

mark s

• junky
#581 Re: Deadlifting
August 29, 2016, 09:58:40 pm
Did that win you the whole event?

no,i came second which im happy with. the guy who won was a biggun and strong
i have a vid someone recorded on face book but not sure how to post on here. will try though

measles23

• stalker
#582 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2016, 06:33:57 pm
This has been a hard time coming but finally got 3 x BW last night  ;D

Haven't looked back since switching to sumo in January, but didn't expect to pull it out the bag yesterday, after a long week and man-flu.. I'll put it down to the "beast effect" - always a strong vibe when big Eddie's in the gym:

Props to this thread - would never have thought of DL otherwise..

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#583 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2016, 09:15:27 pm
Amazing achievement.

Where did you learn to do it with a bridging stance? It looks harder (and maybe not as beneficial for climbing?)

measles23

• stalker
#584 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2016, 10:09:36 pm
Thanks Shark - def a proper LTG achieved; might try to do some climbing now!

This is sumo stance - I avoided it for the first couple of years of lifting cos I though it looked weird, bad for your knees and bad for your feet if you drop the weights on them!

Sumo's also supposed to favour leg strength, and it's my feeling that the reason why so many guys from here have gone in strong with DL is due to years of building strong lats/back, so I thought my chicken legs would suck at sumo..

I did squat-stance for a while ala Ed Coan, then I realised that the majority of lighter powerlifters lift Sumo (inspired by guys like Johnny Candito and Owen Hubbard) so experimented and decided I really liked it - it's much kinder on the back and I was lifting PBs the second time I tried it. It's more technical than conventional DL, with less opportunity to grind through if technique isn't spot on. Also conventional rapidly bulks up your midriff (think of any big lifter!) so you can say goodbye to your waspish climber's waist - sumo generates a more balanced shape..

Crossover to climbing? Weeeeell probably not enough to justify goin for 3BW (maybe effects up to 2.5) - when I first started DL I thought there was a rapid effect on my climbing, making me more static, and oddly allowing me to hang around in roofs endlessly despite only doing low reps..
I totally believe posterior chain exercises are 10 times more useful to climbing than core exercises focussing on abs
Perhaps the most useful effects have been things like maintaining testosterone and energy levels while getting older, and teaching me how to really try hard - I don't believe anything tests your ability to "want" as much as forcing through a max DL!

Sumo vs conventional for climbing - meh I wouldn't have thought there was much in it. Sumo does feel like bridging (it's called "spreading the floor"), however I don't think legs are often the weak part of the chain for climbing - why do you think conventional might be better?

Cheers anyhoo

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#585 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2016, 10:20:57 pm
however I don't think legs are often the weak part of the chain for climbing - why do you think conventional might be better?

Thought conventional way would be better training for standing up on holds especially when on undercuts but like you say anything over 2.5 x BW is probably going to have negligible crossover for climbing.

Amazing effort. I'm inspired and will have a go at Sumo when I start dabbling with deadlifting again.   

Scouse D

• forum hero
#586 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2016, 10:30:51 pm
Inspired by that. I've been deadlifting for about three months since breaking my ankle last december. Up to 2BW so 168kg but seem to have plateaued. When I try heavy I tend to suffer with burning sensations in lower abs telling me to back off(time for a belt?) Might play with sumo stance, looks interesting.

measles23

• stalker
#587 Re: Deadlifting
October 01, 2016, 10:59:38 pm
Cheers Scouse

I kept putting off getting a good belt until I was "good enough" to feel I was worthy - stupid
As a result I put my back out 3 times in the first year :thumbsdown:

I've now got one of these: http://www.zuluglove.com/new-2016--powerlifting-belt--detonator-lever--jet-zulu-pro-series--xl-86-p.asp and haven't had another back problem - it didn't raise my PB but has give me loads of confidence not to back off.

Ab pain is unusual tho - hopefully just muscular, but DL is a great mechanism for getting hernias!
The belt gives you something to push your abs against, so generating core tension..

Don't fear the plateau, work it; I was stuck at 180 for 2yrs, then broke through by: cycling several weeks at 5s then 3s, then 1s, experimenting with technique (accept a weight drop when you do) then ingrain the technique you like. Some swear by accessory exercises (block lifts, RDL, deficits etc) but at our level prob just bulk DL is better, much like bouldering being the best training for climbing up to a point.

For guys new to Sumo I quite like this summary:
https://www.elitefts.com/education/7-step-guide-to-learning-the-sumo-deadlift/

Also vids of Candito, Hubbard, Coan, Jaroslaw, Belyaev, Posdeev (by which time you'll begin to realise just how weak we all are!)

bw

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#588 Re: Deadlifting
October 02, 2016, 11:55:42 am
Nice one Measles, strong. At the risk of being pedant, can I advise you not to lean backwards after the lock off? Just stand tall, chest up, squeeze glutes.
That hyperextension with that load is looking for trouble.

Shark, sumo DL is what is mostly used in powerlifting comps, because the wider stance gets you lower and avoids some mobility and technical issues at the hips and ankles that can make the first part of the pull very hard, especially for clearing the knees.
So it's probably the best stance to pull the hardest.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#589 Re: Deadlifting
October 02, 2016, 04:37:09 pm
Burning feeling is just minor strain I think and just needs a couple more days of rest. I think its down to hip mobility issues so sumo could be a good bet

measles23

• stalker
#590 Re: Deadlifting
October 02, 2016, 11:18:25 pm
Cheers nibs - good point about hyperextension, it is supposed to be a bad thing; every guide to DL advises against it (altho many comp lifters do it anyway to make sure the judges have no doubt the lift has gone up)

Sumo is by definition easier: bar travels less vertical height = bar gains less potential energy = you use less energy to do the lift
However its horses for courses for the biomechanics - it clearly doesn't suit the big guys, after all half a ton went up conventional

measles23

• stalker
#591 Re: Deadlifting
October 02, 2016, 11:24:52 pm
And nibs, dude I just realised you actually started this thread that's changed my life (never thought of DL before this thread)

You're responsible for 4 yrs worth of pain, frustration, injury, chaffing, embarrassment, expense and the indescribable joy of deadlift PBing

Thanks man

Duma

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#593 Re: Deadlifting
November 06, 2016, 10:27:49 pm
And nibs, dude I just realised you actually started this thread that's changed my life (never thought of DL before this thread)

You're responsible for 4 yrs worth of pain, frustration, injury, chaffing, embarrassment, expense and the indescribable joy of deadlift PBing

Thanks man
Only just seen this!
Cheers, you're welcome!
 :great:

Scouse D

• forum hero
#594 Re: Deadlifting
November 07, 2016, 11:07:00 pm
Lost form yesterday going heavy and injured my mcl. Think my foot went too straight and knee collapsed a little inwards, only every so slightly. Little click then pain. Not super painful today but there all the time. gonna be a couple of weeks to get better. Careful folks.

mark s

• junky
#595 Re: Deadlifting
January 12, 2017, 05:37:53 pm
1st go at deadlifting for a long time and managed 1x200 which i was happy with.
going try and work up to a p.b

also changed my grip from alternate facing to both facing back.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#596 Re: Deadlifting
January 12, 2017, 11:38:30 pm
Lost form yesterday going heavy and injured my mcl. Think my foot went too straight and knee collapsed a little inwards, only every so slightly. Little click then pain. Not super painful today but there all the time. gonna be a couple of weeks to get better. Careful folks.
Hadn't see this. How is it going now? What shoes were you using?

Scouse D

• forum hero
#597 Re: Deadlifting
January 14, 2017, 08:45:37 pm
Still sore but ok. Haven't lifted since. My shoes were definitely too soft, normal trainers so they could well have been the issue

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#598 Re: Deadlifting
January 15, 2017, 11:01:02 pm
Good to know it's healing.
I haven't lifted in a couple of years now, my left knee doesn't give much confidence. But I'm planning some sort of comeback - although in other form. Fingers crossed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#599 Re: Deadlifting
February 17, 2017, 11:02:13 am
Back in the game thanks to Smelly Fox who also has the psyche. For the first time in 12 fucking years I'm going to the gym with someone who is keen to be there and keen to train. Makes quite a difference from having to motivate myself on my own time after fucking time.

The upshot of all this is that after less than 10 total gym sessions and 4 weights sessions, I've got back to 160kg, but this time without straps (but with alternate hand grip and liquid chalk), and slightly easier than last time. I almost made 170 but couldn't lock it out. Fatboy fox is already on 170, but then he's gotta get 180 for the 2xBW. Anorexic sport climbing weenies we are fucking not.

Going along with this, I'm training slightly better indoors (have been nursing a tweaked wrist all this year so have been pretty restricted), and feeling a bit perkier overall.

Nibble, a question for you: The lifting rack with the handles perpendicular to the double bar set-up.....isn't it a bit weird that the handles are raised up off the centre of the bar?? I thought that rig would be a nice way to avoid grip issues, but I don't fancy missing out on the first few inches of a normal lift.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal