UKBouldering.com

Deadlifting (Read 241987 times)

rodma

• forum hero
#375 Re: Deadlifting
October 15, 2014, 07:40:24 am
I hope you have an Olympic bar and not a spinlock, since the latter is only rated to about 130kg.

Deadlift, bent over row, good mornings, clean and press.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#376 Re: Deadlifting
October 15, 2014, 10:13:01 am
No I had not!

I didn't realise that standard bars only went up to such a low weight. It doesn't seem like most places advertise that fact.

Thanks for that, I have just cancelled the order before it shipped and ordered some olympic weights.

mark s

• junky
#377 Re: Deadlifting
November 04, 2014, 10:42:50 am
did some deadlifting for the first time in 6 months yesterday as its not something i do alot of. i started my back routine off with it and feck me i can feel it today.shall try and keep it up and aim for a p.b in 6 or 8 weeks

mark s

• junky
#378 Re: Deadlifting
December 16, 2014, 09:49:26 pm
matched my best of 200 today,did a set of 8 at 180 before that lift so next week as long as i get plenty of food in me should have a new p.b.
my mate is going for a 180 bench press on thursday.he has done it before but he was near 16 stone then.he is less than 14 now.he does have arms like most mens legs though

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#379 Re: Deadlifting
December 17, 2014, 07:17:59 pm
Solid gold advice for you my friend, from Charles Staley.
http://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-murder-the-deadlift

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#380 Re: Deadlifting
December 19, 2014, 09:59:21 am
Solid effort Mr Sharratt...  :bow:

I managed a new PB of 130kg yesterday but feel I can definitely lift more. Problem is I'm out of weights I can add.

Going to probably purchase some but in the mean time should I;

a) Keep working with the weight I've got to the point where it feels easy
b) Concentrate on Clean and Jerk (on which I can just about manage 40kg)
c) Other?
d) All...

Cheers

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#381 Re: Deadlifting
December 19, 2014, 10:15:52 am
Having done a bit of research I imagine by "Other" above I mean stuff like;

Deficit Pulls
Block Pulls
Sumo Pulls
Speed Pulls
Snatch Grip Pulls

Etc

Can anyone recommend/advise?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#382 Re: Deadlifting
December 19, 2014, 11:48:18 am
Deficit and snatch high pulls.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#383 Re: Deadlifting
December 19, 2014, 12:14:43 pm
Thanks Lore...

mark s

• junky
#384 Re: Deadlifting
December 22, 2014, 01:53:23 pm
keep at it,as long as you are pushing yourself you will get stronger

i wasnt feeling full of energy today as didnt eat much yesterday.
did a few 140 then went for 210 and did it fine, a new p.b

so went for 220,got half way and didnt want to risk it as it was hurting a bit.
chuffed with new pb though

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#385 Re: Deadlifting
December 22, 2014, 09:59:05 pm
I keep toying with the idea of doing some deadlifts but I already weigh in at very close to 14 stone. I don't have much fat about me and I worry that putting on any extra weight will end up being a negative on my climbing.

Any thoughts? Any way to get stronger without putting on the weight?

abarro81

• forum hero
#386 Re: Deadlifting
December 22, 2014, 10:43:56 pm
My general view on deadlifting for climbing: :lol:

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#387 Re: Deadlifting
December 22, 2014, 10:44:24 pm
Control caloric intake, lift heavy (aim for being maxed out at the 3-6rep range) and you won't get heavier. 

On the flip side, do you struggle to keep your feet on and maintain core tension?  If so, then deadlifting is good.

mark s

• junky
#388 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 08:36:50 am
I keep toying with the idea of doing some deadlifts but I already weigh in at very close to 14 stone. I don't have much fat about me and I worry that putting on any extra weight will end up being a negative on my climbing.

Any thoughts? Any way to get stronger without putting on the weight?

you wont put any weight on,unless yuo start eating like a bodybuilder/weightlifter and going to the gym lots.

you will get stronger but as above said,i dont know how it will improve climbing.heavy deadlifting leaves you pretty useless the next day.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#389 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 09:55:05 am
I don't think my core is particularly weak but it could certainly be stronger. I'm 6'2" and I can nearly do a front lever which I know is a fair irrelevant exercise in the grand scheme of climbing but its shows a decent level of core strength. My biggest issue is that the guy that sets a lot of the problems at the wall I climb at hates tall people and loves to put stupid cramped compression moves on overhangs and I can't get my damn body in there.

I basically want to make my core and back stronger which I assume some lifts will accomplish better than almost anything else.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#390 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 10:54:33 am
I don't think my core is particularly weak but it could certainly be stronger. I'm 6'2" and I can nearly do a front lever which I know is a fair irrelevant exercise in the grand scheme of climbing but its shows a decent level of core strength. My biggest issue is that the guy that sets a lot of the problems at the wall I climb at hates tall people and loves to put stupid cramped compression moves on overhangs and I can't get my damn body in there.

I basically want to make my core and back stronger which I assume some lifts will accomplish better than almost anything else.
Maybe up there in UK things are different, but in gyms here I've always found that if set problems are there to test yourself, climb, have fun, etc.
But to really get some training done, I always needed to set my own problems.

mark s

• junky
#391 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 11:31:39 am

i would just tell him sort his shit problems out and not to take it out on normal sized people just because he is inferior.
problems set for pixies are never going to be nice for everyone else

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#392 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 11:33:29 am
a strong core is essential for lanking past stumpy sequences

tomtom

• forum hero
#393 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 11:42:59 am

i would just tell him sort his shit problems out and not to take it out on normal sized people just because he is inferior.
problems set for pixies are never going to be nice for everyone else

Yup. I think he should grow up.

;)

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#394 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 12:27:53 pm
To be fair, he does set some good stuff, he just has a flair for the compact. The sort of move you can't really strength or lank your way through because the holds are so wank. I could just be whinging because I am not strong enough to do them but when other people explain how they get up them its exactly how I assumed but I can't do it. I've got a really sore shoulder today from trying to squeeze into a space I wasn't meant to exist it.

I'm just tall and bitter from hearing too many short 60kg climbers whinge about how hard it is for them when they can't reach a hold and how easy it is when you are tall.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#395 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 12:33:29 pm

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#396 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 01:41:08 pm
My general view on deadlifting for climbing: :lol:

Not to agree with Alex too much (maybe the time we spent in the DJ booth at the works party at around 5am have created a special bond?) BUT:

In my experience over the last year or so, deadlifting really is of limited use to climbing past a certain level. Having had the pleasure of having some coaching in them, and training them for a while with people like Mawson, Ned, Sam W etc. all of us had a really good basic strength level at deadlifting, smashing in plenty past 2 X bodyweight!

I reckon 2 X bodyweight is a great target but past that don't bother, you're time is much better spent on the core muscles in the mid section and hips (can you do a front lever? If not then time on that sort of core exercise is much better spent!)

Hope this makes sense!

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#397 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 01:50:49 pm
I can't do a front level but I thought they got much harder to do the taller you are. When I try them I find that i get almost a cramp on the right hand side of my lats about the height of my lower ribs. I also have reasonably meaty legs from years playing hockey so my lower half is heavier than it could be which also makes front levers harder.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#398 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 02:12:45 pm
Sounds like a lot of good reasons to get better at them and other leg lifting core exercises rather than working your meaty leg strengths with deadlifts then!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#399 Re: Deadlifting
December 23, 2014, 05:47:05 pm
I reckon 2 X bodyweight is a great target but past that don't bother, you're time is much better spent on the core muscles in the mid section and hips (can you do a front lever? If not then time on that sort of core exercise is much better spent!)
:agree:

a strong core is essential for lanking past stumpy sequences
:2thumbsup: This applies even to shorties......

Check out Dragon Flags and continue working levers.  Oh, and don't forget about destroying your obliques.  They seem to be a real weakness for many climbers, but are essential to low lockoffs.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal