UKBouldering.com

Deadlifting (Read 240307 times)

rodma

• forum hero
#50 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 02:28:55 pm
Deadlifting: it's the new weightvest!

Cheers Rodma, no there's a gym at the wall there's no excuse not to do a session once a week or so and see what the results are like.

This has actually reminded me that my best comp result was after a prolonged period of lifting. I flashed problem one, failed outright on 2 and 3 and then manged problems 4, 5 and 6 on 3rd 4th and 4th attempts respectively. I finished one place above little dave who had manged 3 tops in 3 attempts and one place below Stew who had 4 tops in 5 attempts (IIRC). Funny how the brits tended to bunch together like that. Anyhoo the point I was trying to make was that my recovery was great due to the weights, since I did no such interval training at the wall ever and my route-reading crap.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#51 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 02:39:48 pm
well, jwi's joke about the food made me think.
of course, with the same training volume and intensity, the group who eat more will grow more. even more so if the group which exercises more eats more.
but, could food make the difference in the opposite way?
i.e. the group which just does biceps eat more than the other group, and therefore grows more?
I think that with small muscles, like biceps, food can't make all that difference. but maybe if the group which also squats doesn't get enough food, surely will wear muscle tissue down due to a lack of nutrients.
I know this is a bit off topic, but what do you think?
more precisely, those who deadlift regularly or at cycles, have experienced a higher need of food? how many put up weight by just deadlifting?

mark s

• junky
#52 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 07:31:32 pm
a warning to everyone,dont go getting too keen on lifting weights,its very addictive.as soon as you see results you will do more.thats what happened to me.
im alot stronger than ive ever been but also the heaviest.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#53 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 07:46:42 pm
I lost weight... I think it depends on the lifts and rep/set structure.  Stuck to the full body Olympic lifts, Deadlifts and Squats.  Got stronger and dropped weight (but I am a bit of a fatty)

Paul B

• forum hero
#54 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 11:54:37 pm
as soon as you see results you will do more.

Thats the thing isn't it, after climbing for what seems like ages the gains you get in something new seem so rapid. Its more-ish. There's also something about Deadlifting that plays well to any ego lurking within; the lump of weight you're attempting to move is (for a change) sizeable.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
#55 Re: Deadlifting
March 10, 2012, 10:25:19 am
I'm not quite sure of the exact sport science, but exercises such as deadlifting lead to an increase in metabolic rate that lasts for much longer than the exercise itself.

Therefore, if you can avoid eating extra, lifting weights should help burn the fat. However, it might just cause you to feel more hungry and as a result stuff more food into your face than necessary and thus gain weight.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#56 Re: Deadlifting
March 10, 2012, 10:37:49 am
I'm not quite sure of the exact sport science, but exercises such as deadlifting lead to an increase in metabolic rate that lasts for much longer than the exercise itself.

Therefore, if you can avoid eating extra, lifting weights should help burn the fat. However, it might just cause you to feel more hungry and as a result stuff more food into your face than necessary and thus gain weight.

You also tend to lose weight in the area you are exercising so when doing this work I lost the most sub-cutaneous fat in the abdomenal area. You would think that it was because that it is to do with proximity of the energy source but apparently the effect has something to do with the heat generated in the exercised area stimulating the breakdown of the fat. I was told there are studies being conducted into breaking down fat by direct appliaction of heat. All second hand stuff from John's Mum.

Paul B

• forum hero
#57 Re: Deadlifting
March 10, 2012, 11:43:28 am
Localised fat loss is a myth (or I believe it to be, can you show otherwise?).

You'll be losing fat all over the place (not necessarily in the order you store it either). You're also likely to gain muscle in the area you're targetting i.e. you're now bulging stomach muscles will be pushing through the chub giving the extra appearance of fat loss in this area.

BTW Shark, there are machines at the gym that shake and they'll make whatever you do on them better. fact.

mark s

• junky
#58 Re: Deadlifting
March 10, 2012, 12:30:04 pm
I lost weight... I think it depends on the lifts and rep/set structure.  Stuck to the full body Olympic lifts, Deadlifts and Squats.  Got stronger and dropped weight (but I am a bit of a fatty)

yeah ben,i always try do between 8 - 12 reps.which isnt best for pure strength. i do 1 - 3's also.good to mix it up a bit now and then.deadlifts on monday again :2thumbsup:

paul,i know what you mean.it always seem even more when you convert in from kgs into lbs for extra ego boost or workout how much you lifted during whole workout
i am on a site where you enter you whole workout and it tells you p.b's and how much you lifted.it got a bit of a pain filling it in every day though

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#59 Re: Deadlifting
March 10, 2012, 02:23:08 pm
it seems to me that there are several factors all going in the same direction: bigger testosterone production, better muscular quality, heat produced locally, etc.
I think that all these may contribute to fat loss. there is also something I read about the amount of calories consumed by the body AFTER the workout.
IIRC, high intensity-short duration sports were the ones with the highest post activity calory consumption.

anyway, the fact is this: I am getting more and more psyched for deadlifting. I still haven't started, but I am really struggling in waiting. I want to wait because I know that now I can still climb on my board with satisfaction, or fingerboard, but when the really warm weather will come, I will really need a change, and then I'll hit the gym.
this is great.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#60 Re: Deadlifting
March 10, 2012, 02:45:05 pm
IIRC, high intensity-short duration sports were the ones with the highest post activity calory consumption.
high intensity intervals, to be precise. from 10 to 30 seconds, according to "Racing Weight", by Matt Fitzgerald.
anyway, my weight has been constant in the last years, and I have never ever paid too much attention to my diet, neither I changed it in order to lose fat; given this, I have noticed sensible fat loss, in the last years, only in two cases: after coming back of 10 days long surf trips, surfing 5-6 hours everyday; and after going to the gym to do weights.

Dr T

• forum hero
#61 Re: Deadlifting
March 13, 2012, 06:29:27 pm
wandered into the middle of a rugby boy's weights session today looking for extra weight

warmed up on 60kg
then 100kg
then thought "sod it" and went up to 130kg then did 3 reps at 140kg before finishing off with a few more at 130kg

was fun and pretty pleasing for a first proper go
(btw I weigh 80kg so it's not quite 2xBW yet - but that's something for the future)

mark s

• junky
#62 Re: Deadlifting
March 13, 2012, 08:14:43 pm
i didnt bother doing any yesterday as the big 2 lads were doing 300kg deadlifts.i just did extra t bar rows which are just as good.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#63 Re: Deadlifting
March 14, 2012, 08:33:18 am
What is a rep of a deadlift? Do you let the bar touch the floor? Do you let go between reps?

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#64 Re: Deadlifting
March 14, 2012, 10:01:19 am
Has anyone got any definitive proof that deadlifting actually helps their climbing and if so what type of climbing does it help?
Bouldering, Sport/trad, or both?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#65 Re: Deadlifting
March 14, 2012, 10:19:57 am
I was talking to Big Sam about deadlifting and he raised a point I hadn't considered; the (physical) size of the plates I was using. Lifting at home with Decathlon plates I was starting with the bar much nearer the ground than I would be using the same weight with Olympic plates.
Linky

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#66 Re: Deadlifting
March 14, 2012, 04:17:00 pm
wandered into the middle of a rugby boy's weights session today looking for extra weight

warmed up on 60kg
then 100kg
then thought "sod it" and went up to 130kg then did 3 reps at 140kg before finishing off with a few more at 130kg

was fun and pretty pleasing for a first proper go
(btw I weigh 80kg so it's not quite 2xBW yet - but that's something for the future)

You'll piss it - no probs if you're doing three reps at 140.

Dr T

• forum hero
#67 Re: Deadlifting
March 14, 2012, 08:59:48 pm
Has anyone got any definitive proof that deadlifting actually helps their climbing and if so what type of climbing does it help?

after my lifting session a couple of days ago I went down the wall

kept my feet on for what had always been a pop move before (boulder problem)

sample size of 1 but 100% correlation :-)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#68 Re: Deadlifting
March 14, 2012, 09:55:04 pm

:agree:
Worked for me

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#69 Re: Deadlifting
March 15, 2012, 04:50:30 pm
first of all: I'm really impressed by the lifters here!!! strong bunch, I have to work hard if I want to catch up!!!
anyway, sooner or later I'll start deadlifting as well. as said, my idea is to go to the gym twice per week. one session doing weights, one session lifting.
the weights session would be the usual, climbing oriented, with focus on power, big weights and low reps.
that is:
- lat machine, wide grip
- lat machine, one armed
- pull up bar, one armers
- pulley
- shoulder raises
- tricep extension (cables)
- bicep curl

what about the deadlifting session?
I was thinking about a genereal warm up, then some easy squat and then a specific warm up lifting from bodyweight and checking form.
5 reps sets?
10 kg increases?
then moving down to 3 reps with higher loads?

opinions and suggestions?
thanks.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#70 Re: Deadlifting
March 15, 2012, 05:10:19 pm
Nibs from my very rusty memory of my youth it sounds good to me. I used to be well into my lifting when aged 14-20, and I always used to warm up in a similar fashion start light say 60kg, for 10 reps and concentrate on form and technique, then did a pyramid heading towards my 1RM. Other climbing beneficial lifting related one you might want to try is a calf raise which is excellent for one leg push up type moves, does tend to build big calves unless careful - I still have vestiges of mine lol. No idea if what I could do was good or not but visiting a body builders gm always tended to leave me feeling like a punter compared to those beasts lol  :-[

180kg calf raises, 300+kg leg press, and dead lift around 150kg with a body weight of 65-70kg - dead lift always suffered as holding the bar was problematic due to weak grip! Not something that will be a problem for you!!

mark s

• junky
#71 Re: Deadlifting
March 15, 2012, 08:04:17 pm
nibs if you are going for power,dont fuck around with isolation excersises.
overhead presses
squats
deadlifts
t bar rows
bench presses
maybe a few wide grip lat pull downs,
they are all you will need.you'll soon get strong :strongbench: :strongbench: :strongbench:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#72 Re: Deadlifting
March 16, 2012, 06:20:55 am
Thanks guys!!!

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#73 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2012, 06:36:20 pm

Ok, so what do we reccon'; low weight high reps or high reps low weight or a combination there-of?

Seb

• addict
#74 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2012, 09:38:25 pm
What is a rep of a deadlift? Do you let the bar touch the floor? Do you let go between reps?

Its got to be totally resting on the ground between reps. It should basically be the same as the first rep every time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal