UKBouldering.com

Deadlifting (Read 242546 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#450 Re: Deadlifting
February 28, 2015, 06:12:31 pm
Slightly  :off: ... but for those who's worried that strength training will make you heavy (w/o energy surplus). Can you snatch 138 kg? Do you weigh less than 58 kg? If not: what's your excuse?  :P

138 Snatch - World Record Weightlifting (Halil Mutlu)
That's what I meant.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#451 Re: Deadlifting
February 28, 2015, 08:41:40 pm
@Sasq,
in the posterior chain thread you said that you wouldn't sprint because your legs tend to easily bulk, but what about DL?
They have basically the same pattern, only even more quad dominant, and I've always bulked in the quads more easily that in the hams.
And the running? I know you like and need to be fit, but I remember that when I used to run, many years ago, my legs were the only muscular part of my body - kind of - and I was weak as a kitten on rock and plastic.
Just curious.
P.s. Last sprint session was amazing.
I haven't found any substantial leg bulk from deadlifting, but then I :
1-already have beefy legs - its genetic for me, although they are slowly getting smaller
2-only do two or three sessions a year of 2-4 weeks nowadays, and
3-I'm not aiming to keep increasing once i hit my goal.  If I was trying to keep progressing, then I likely would see bulk gain. 

The same basically goes for running.  I spent my youth playing soccer, running, and swimming, and spent a good 5-7 years as an adult doing distance running, biking and triathlons, so my running/cardio baseline is pretty high.  As an example, until this past week I haven't run since sometime last May.  I went and ran a couple of 30ish minute 4 milers, so that's 7:30ish miles (I wasn't timing it very well), which means I'm in the ballpark for my baseline mile time.  The reason I haven't run since May is a result of this board and researching the impacts of running.  I think knowing yourself and your personal baselines makes a huge difference. 

I have a couple of brothers I climb with regularly.  They are exactly as Matt describes: non-athletic, only ever climbed starting around 12-14yo.  They're both injury prone and one has had both shoulders and hips operated on at 26 years old.  Background makes a difference. 

In regards to high rep/low weight vs. low rep/high weight, lets eliminate the vagueness. In general, the classic understanding, which I've researched in the past, but don't have now, is:
3-5 sets of 3-5 reps at 90-95% 1 round max = max strength build - some bulk
3-5 sets of 6-12 reps at 75-85% 1 round max = max bulk - some strength, some Str endurance
3-5 sets of 12-20 reps at 60-75% 1 round max = Max Str endurance, some strength, minimal bulk.

There's a time and place for each, but the middle one is really only for body builders :)  For functionality the first and third are both good.  I tend to do one session of each per week during my strength cycles. 

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#452 Re: Deadlifting
February 28, 2015, 09:42:03 pm
My routines would fall into the later category, except I'm only doing 2 sets per exercise per week.
So typically,
Mil press 10 x 45kg
Behind neck 10x 45kg
Upright rows 10x 45kg
Squats  10x 45 kg
Deadlifts 10x65kg

But that's just one part of the session. I posted the whole thing elsewhere.
Done twice a week, with the aim of re-conditioning my global strength before heading back to the board around week 8 (I'm also doing a Campus session once per week and a FB session (Max hangs) once a week).

I'm in week five and feeling a hell of a lot better.

mark s

• junky
#453 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 06:15:17 pm
i think all climbers should do weights,whether it helps to get through the grades or not that irrelevant. it will get rid of those spaghetti arms and flat chests you see at walls and crags

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#454 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 06:22:38 pm
i think all climbers should do weights,whether it helps to get through the grades or not that irrelevant. it will get rid of those spaghetti arms and flat chests you see at walls and crags

To be fair those big arms and chests don't maketh the climber.

http://www.beastmaker.co.uk/blogs/news/16977024-biff-beastmaker-international-footless-festival

I assumed one of the powerhouses would win that but if you've ever seen louis parkinson he is not a monster to look at.

mark s

• junky
#455 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 07:23:48 pm
but climbing a few grades less if preferable to looking like a 12 year old

rodma

• forum hero
#456 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 08:11:13 pm
Louis has the biggest/broadest shoulder combo I've ever seen on a waif. Pretty tough to replicate

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#457 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 08:25:26 pm
Louis has the biggest/broadest shoulder combo I've ever seen on a waif. Pretty tough to replicate

I know right! You look at him and think, nah, hes not going to be a beast. You look a little closer after you have seen him make something look like piss and realise he is actually hench as fuck apart from his arms.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#458 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 08:37:12 pm
Why would you assume one of the powerhouses would win? It's pretty obvious a guy who weighs next to nothing would win a footless comp I thought. No offence to anyone but he's about as hench as a paper bag

rodma

• forum hero
#459 Re: Deadlifting
March 03, 2015, 08:37:31 pm
Haha. Spot on :D

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#460 Re: Deadlifting
March 16, 2015, 08:40:31 pm
I've been getting the weights psyche back again, since my finger skin is semi-permanently fucked from bouldering a lot in the last 2 months, and I feel the urge to push my body somehow.

Still working towards the elusive 2XBW4LYFEBITCHES (that's 2XBW deadlift not benchpress Mark S). Without having done any proper weights for 2 years, I'm back up to my previous PB of 120kg in a couple of sessions.

Today I warmed up with 10 mins rowing then a few light bicep curls and shoulder presses whilst waiting for a free bar.

Then did:
2 x 5 x 90
2 x 3 x 110
2 x 2 x 120
3 x 1 x 130
1 x 5 x 110 (warm down)

130 feels hard to me. The others I can concentrate on smoothness and good style, 130 is just about getting it off the ground. Unfortunately unlike you skinny shitebags I've got to get to 150 to be 2 x 75 so still quite a way to go. I will keep trying.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:45:41 pm by Fiend »

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#461 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 05:07:30 am
I've been getting the weights psyche back again, since my finger skin is semi-permanently fucked from bouldering a lot in the last 2 months, and I feel the urge to push my body somehow.

Still working towards the elusive 2XBW4LYFEBITCHES (that's 2XBW deadlift not benchpress Mark S). Without having done any proper weights for 2 years, I'm back up to my previous PB of 120kg in a couple of sessions.

Today I warmed up with 10 mins rowing then a few light bicep curls and shoulder presses whilst waiting for a free bar.

Then did:
2 x 5 x 90
2 x 3 x 110
2 x 2 x 120
3 x 1 x 130
1 x 5 x 110 (warm down)

130 feels hard to me. The others I can concentrate on smoothness and good style, 130 is just about getting it off the ground. Unfortunately unlike you skinny shitebags I've got to get to 150 to be 2 x 75 so still quite a way to go. I will keep trying.

Work on starting to build a base at 110 or 120 by trying to get up to sets of 5. I've found that I mainly do sets of 5 at 120 or 130 these days, and on the odd occasions that I try for a max (i.e.: 170 or 2XBW) I can ladder up to there relatively easily.

TheTwig

• stalker
#462 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 05:55:50 am
 I deadlift at home where I have an awesome rack, olympic bar and weights set but it's 80kg max +10(?)kg bar, so I can't go any further  :'(

I'm 70kg at around 6ft and I can do 90x5 or something. Maybe it's time to start filling empty paint cans with cement and sticking them on the ends of the bar  :lol: I'm well impressed at anyone that can go past 1.5 bodyweight tbh, it's so fucking hard!

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#463 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 10:33:43 am

I'm 70kg at around 6ft and I can do 90x5 or something. Maybe it's time to start filling empty paint cans with cement and sticking them on the ends of the bar  :lol: I'm well impressed at anyone that can go past 1.5 bodyweight tbh, it's so fucking hard!

To be fair, you are not heavy at all for your height so I imagine that you will find it hard to get to 2x bodyweight without putting on some more muscle. Being over 6' tall as well won't make it any easier. I reckon you are doing well at the moment.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#464 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 10:40:55 am
I'm 70kg at around 6ft and I can do 90x5 or something. Maybe it's time to start filling empty paint cans with cement and sticking them on the ends of the bar  :lol: BUYING NEW WEIGHTS AND AN OLYMPIC BAR THAT WON'T SNAP IN TWO UNDER THE MONSTROUS LOAD I'M GOING TO PUT ON IT I'm well impressed at anyone that can go past 1.5 bodyweight tbh, it's so fucking hard!
Fixed that for you.
If your bar weighs only 10 kg, it's far too thin to bear 140 kg without serious risk of snapping. If it's an Olympic bar, then it should weigh 20 kg and you've just gained 10 kg to your PB without even trying.  ;)
Deadlifting is already quite tricky, so play as safe as possible. Olympic bar, proper plates, no cement buckets.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#465 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 11:19:16 am
Deadlifting is already quite tricky, so play as safe as possible. Olympic bar, proper plates, no cement buckets.

Seconded. Be very careful, especially as the weight increases.

To be fair, you are not heavy at all for your height so I imagine that you will find it hard to get to 2x bodyweight without putting on some more muscle. Being over 6' tall as well won't make it any easier. I reckon you are doing well at the moment.

I'm 6'4" and I found that using stands for the weights (height of approx. 10cm) to get the bar to mid-shin made a huge difference at first, especially in terms of keeping my form good.

rodma

• forum hero
#466 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 12:59:39 pm
I'm 70kg at around 6ft and I can do 90x5 or something. Maybe it's time to start filling empty paint cans with cement and sticking them on the ends of the bar  :lol: BUYING NEW WEIGHTS AND AN OLYMPIC BAR THAT WON'T SNAP IN TWO UNDER THE MONSTROUS LOAD I'M GOING TO PUT ON IT I'm well impressed at anyone that can go past 1.5 bodyweight tbh, it's so fucking hard!
Fixed that for you.
If your bar weighs only 10 kg, it's far too thin to bear 140 kg without serious risk of snapping. If it's an Olympic bar, then it should weigh 20 kg and you've just gained 10 kg to your PB without even trying.  ;)

I have a 10kg Oly bar Nibs. they make them for people like me that don't have much space, so they are only 5ft long, rather than 7ft long, but are rated to way over 200kg. properly made with 50mm diameter ends, with integral bearings etc. I'm still to manage to lift much over 130 however, despite having enough discs in the flat.

those spinlock york bars however are a little risky.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#467 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 02:21:01 pm
I didn't know about shorter olympic bars.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#468 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 02:27:22 pm
the_dom, that's exactly what I'm doing. It's only my 3rd session lifting in the last year or so, and I'm slowly upping the lowest weight each time.

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
#469 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 03:54:27 pm
Fixed that for you.

I have a 10kg Oly bar Nibs. they make them for people like me that don't have much space, so they are only 5ft long, rather than 7ft long, but are rated to way over 200kg. properly made with 50mm diameter ends, with integral bearings etc. I'm still to manage to lift much over 130 however, despite having enough discs in the flat.

those spinlock york bars however are a little risky.

Might be easier to talk about 30mm or 50mm bars, as the plates are also important. There are 30mm adapters for 50mm plates though. Ik know the shorter 50mm bars and indeed they are much stronger than the 30mm bars.

rodma

• forum hero
#470 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 03:59:05 pm
30mm are studio weights, 50mm are oly and 25mm are toy weights iirc

mark s

• junky
#471 Re: Deadlifting
March 17, 2015, 06:09:28 pm
if getting hold of heavy weights is a problem.maybe try front squats.its almost the same movement as a deadlift.when you do get back to deadlifts they should feel easier.

Muesli

• addict
#472 Re: Deadlifting
March 18, 2015, 03:25:03 pm

Does the grip diameter stay the same or is that also bigger on an olympic bar ?

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
#473 Re: Deadlifting
March 18, 2015, 05:05:38 pm

Front squats are silver. Overhead squats are gold. Olympic lifts is what's it at!  :popcorn:

B.t.w your quote is BS. As even with single hand 25mm maxing out on plates, you 'won't get them curled! Broscience ;)

rodma

• forum hero
#474 Re: Deadlifting
March 18, 2015, 06:16:23 pm
In a thread about deadlifting my statement stands. In saying that we kept our spinlock set for dumbells :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal