UKBouldering.com

Getting Knocked off your bike, (Read 33944 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#100 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
November 18, 2013, 01:19:40 pm
I just bought some additional lights and a new hi viz jacket this morning.  Luckily my commute is mainly canal towpath.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#102 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
March 19, 2014, 09:36:06 am
Sensible EU legislation

MEPs then voted in favour of allowing an increase in the front of the cabs. Not only that but MEPs inserted amendments that some of this space has to be used to decrease blind spots at the front and to the sides of the cab and to increase direct vision.

The current brick shaped cabs are a direct result of the current Directive. There are currently no direct vision specifications for HGVs and trucks in Europe despite them being necessary for motorcars . This could be the first step to making it a requirement that the driver of an HGV can see clearly around the cab.

:2thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#103 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
March 26, 2014, 11:00:09 am
...by a pothole and you could potentially sucessfully sue the local Council responsible for road maintenance.  I hope Sheffield City Council take notice.

<tangent>Maybe its just me, but £96000/annum for "as a charity fundraising director" seems like a rather high remuneration rate for a job that is presumably done for "love" (wanting to help people) and  not money.  I'm not suggesting that the role shouldn't receive any remuneration but that just seemed quite high to me, regardless of performance within the role.</tangent>

JohnM

• junky
#104 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
March 26, 2014, 11:41:47 am
I hit a massive pot hole in the same area as the cyclist in the news article.  Luckily I avoided a crash and just sustained a blow out.  After changing the inner tube I then got ran off the road by an idiotic driver who went past doing about 50 mph leaving centimeters to spare and ended up in the verge/hedge.

Some places are horrific for pot holes and some councils should really do a better job at fixing them especially considering the large capital reserves some of them have and the amount of money they are pulling in from parking tickets etc.

rich d

• forum hero
#105 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
March 26, 2014, 12:01:52 pm
I knocked a lady off her bike last week after pulling out from a side street. It was dusk and I didn't see her at all despite looking. Luckily she was unhurt (although obviously shaken) and her bike was undamaged too. I only saw her when she went in-front of the headlights and managed to slam full on (had only just set off so wasn't going very fast) and just clipped her, causing her to skid sideways.

She was dressed in very dark colours and her light was quite frankly crap, but it made me wonder if I'd really looked? (as I suppose I tend to drive automatically a lot of the time). Decided I need to make more of an effort to look in future.

It shit me up at the time, after checking she was OK I gave her a lift to her destination to make sure she was OK, with her bike in the back..so no damage done in the end thankfully.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal