UKBouldering.com

Getting Knocked off your bike, (Read 33968 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 28, 2012, 08:26:06 pm
I got run down by some dozy teenage girl last september. When I found out the bonding in my frame was broken I got in touch with this company out of cycling weekly www. cycle-claims.co.uk. They were really helpful and kept informed right through the process.
They even got me what I paid for my bike 5 years ago which I had been told never happens.I would reccomend them if similar happens to you.

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 28, 2012, 08:27:36 pm
Forget to say let me know first then I can get the refers fee. :lol:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#2 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 28, 2012, 09:22:02 pm
good beta

Danger

• player
#3 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 29, 2012, 07:42:07 pm
There is a pretty good thread on LFGSS on what to do when you get knocked off your bike.

http://www.lfgss.com/thread4213.html

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
February 16, 2012, 05:21:01 pm
Shocking...

Bus Driver purposefully knocks cyclist off

Don't care what was said or went before thats intent to seriously harm, not just dangerous driving, far too lenient a sentence.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#5 Getting Knocked off your bike,
February 16, 2012, 10:27:08 pm
I find it bizarre, that in this country, if you stabbed someone with a lolly stick; it would constitute "assault with a deadly weapon" at the least and "attempted murder" at the worst.
But, hit them with a few tons of moving metal and its at the least "driving without due care and" and at worst "dangerous driving"; both of which seem to carry lower tariffs than common assault...
Or to put it another way, you'll do more time for blacking someone's eye with your fist, than you will for putting them in a wheelchair with a car.

lukeh

• addict
#6 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
February 17, 2012, 11:34:59 am
Wow.

At least in this case he got chaged with GBH, although I would have thought it would have been GBH with intent. I read the article on the local papers site http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Driver-used-bus-weapon-cyclist-Bristol/story-15254244-detail/story.html which has a quote from the cyclist effectively saying that he did not think the driver meant it - which probably halved the sentence (by removing the intent).

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
February 17, 2012, 11:44:14 am

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
February 17, 2012, 12:06:04 pm

Attempted murder. Lucky the area he was thrown across was empty.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#9 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
February 17, 2012, 12:53:43 pm
Here's hoping that a fellow inmate who's a cycling enthusiast and built like a brick shit house takes a liking to said bus driver and decides to make him his "special" friend  :lets_do_it_wild:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
December 17, 2012, 11:32:39 pm
http://www.stewartpratt.com/?p=580

Good piece on the injustice of the UK law.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

neilpearsons

• regular
#12 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 24, 2013, 10:18:24 pm
There must be more to it than there seems... because this just does not make sense! Ru, can you explain this?
http://road.cc/content/news/74613-jury-fails-reach-decision-cyclist-death-case-where-driver-blinded-sunlight

neilpearsons

• regular
#13 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 24, 2013, 10:50:25 pm
A cycling barrister's thoughts: http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/causing-death-by-careless-driving-some.html

Simon Lee: Constructive comment on FB, well done

underground

• forum hero
#14 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 02:08:14 am
I drive to work (having done 5 years of bus penalty and refuse to do any more)... Dronny to Sheff Central - it's 7 miles, and no doubt a quick ride in the morning... Home would be loads of uphill, but fantastic training.. but I just daren't do it. Admitedly my pushbike is unsuitable at present but I could get a proper one sorted pronto.... I'm just too scared, and articles like this don't make me any more willing, as much as I'd really like to, to start doing a daily Russian roulette with vans, cars and buses, etc.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#15 Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 08:19:36 am
It's not that dangerous really underground.

Don't fall foul of thinking it is because examples of accidents are well reported and easy to recall.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic

With about 30 deaths per billion km, it's no more dangerous than being a pedestrian, and your odds of dying in a lifetime of commuting is something like 0.005%

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 08:22:02 am
I stopped as it made me stressed.. I kept getting angry with the car drivers.. Now I walk and get stressed by cyclists riding on the pavement ;)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#17 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 09:02:42 am
As a cyclist, and a driver, these reports heighten my awareness of he dangers of cars vs cyclists whilst driving. I definitely consider a cyclist's presence for longer, but now cycle far less.  I used to consider that most accidents were due to one party being a dickhead, but the more I watch and read shows that many people are are as equipped with the skills to deal with other cyclists on the road as they are to parallel park.

I stopped as it made me stressed..
Me too

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 09:16:20 am
It's not that dangerous really underground.

Don't fall foul of thinking it is because examples of accidents are well reported and easy to recall.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic

With about 30 deaths per billion km, it's no more dangerous than being a pedestrian, and your odds of dying in a lifetime of commuting is something like 0.005%

I quite like the concept of Micromort or Microlifes the later concept introduced by David Speigelhalter when it comes to thinking about the risk associated with activities.

He's posted quite a few blog articles on this topic.

Microlives
Micromorts, horses and ecstasy

David Spiegelhalter, Using speed of ageing and "microlives" to communicate the effects of lifetime habits and environment, BMJ, 345, December 2012

webbo

• forum hero
#19 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 09:28:02 am
I rarely cycle to work or ride in town. However if I do on the advice of a cycling mate many years ago, I treat it as though I was riding in a bunch in a road race. In that you need to be watching everyone round you, be aware of the road in front and be ready to take action in an instant.
Not always that easy at half 7 in a morning with a hangover.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#20 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 01:07:56 pm
This really riles me. Why is it not deemed as criminal to kill someone with a car?

And it doesn't seem like this blinded by the sun thing adds up, to me. what is the situation where you look down the road and don't see a cyclist then you are blinded by the sun (for 3 secs) and suddenly there is a cyclist under your wheels? if it was on a straight road you shoul have spotted the cyclist earlier. If it going round a corner you'd not have the sun in your eyes for very long.  So presumably you've just come round a corner and suddenly been blinded. But then the corner has to be a blind one too. So you're approaching a blind corner and you don't slow down, the sun blinds you and you don't slow down. You're a dick.

My problem is it seems like a lie. A lie that's become popular because it seemingly works.

Killing someone by accident I'd struggle to live with. Killing someone then lying about the reasons...could I do that?

I'm biased, I'm sure there's another way at looking at these cases.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#21 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 01:28:33 pm
I dont think people should let the current press stress them into not cycling... theres more press on the topic these days as more and more people are cycling, its no more dangerous, drivers arent any more or less aggressive than they have ever been. 

The numbers of cyclists have increased and these people are becoming more vocal, more prominent in our society and the press is reflecting key times of friction.  To borrow a phrase, its heading towards a critical mass where cycling is demanding to be seen by the whole of society as a valid way to transport ourselves, this is causing friction.  As they also say... if you cant beat them, join them. 

plus its great all round fitness training   :great:

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#22 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 02:08:58 pm
I dont think people should let the current press stress them into not cycling... theres more press on the topic these days as more and more people are cycling, its no more dangerous, drivers arent any more or less aggressive than they have ever been. 

I don't think it's less safe on the roads than it was when I was a teenager, however I'm less naive to the dangers now. Buses and lorries turning left/mobile devices/more older people driving/uninsured drivers weren't a consideration to me back in the 90s.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#23 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 03:24:26 pm
I don't think it's less safe on the roads than it was when I was a teenager, however I'm less naive to the dangers now. Buses and lorries turning left/mobile devices/more older people driving/uninsured drivers weren't a consideration to me back in the 90s.

Dude thats just age ;) as you get older you see more risk in things around you

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#24 Re: Getting Knocked off your bike,
January 25, 2013, 07:03:20 pm
This really riles me. Why is it not deemed as criminal to kill someone with a car?

It's crazy. A car is potentially a lethal weapon even when driven well. I can't see why causing accidental death or injury with a car through stupidity should be any different from any dangerous weapon. If I walked into a crowded shopping centre closed my eyes and started swinging an axe around my head if I killed or maimed someone I'm sure that I would get more than 12months. Why is driving a car at 50mph whilst being blinded by the sun any different? If you can't see in front of you cannot assume the road is clear.

Courts and many drivers seem to think people become less worthy humans when they hop onto a bike. The risks drivers take with bikes are crazy. Partially I think it is frustration from being stuck in traffic and when the traffic does speed up they feel they have to retake the bike that has passed them to make a point even if they are coming up to a junction or queue of traffic or about to turn left. Many do with without pulling out at all unless they have to, so riding in the gutter is the worst thing you can do. They will over take a bike rather than drive slowly for 5 seconds to join the queue.

I do commute a short distance currently, mostly on bike paths/quiet roads. The last few days I have stuck to the main roads as they were clear of snow. I've always enjoyed riding in traffic, it can be done reasonably safely if you keep your wits about you. Assuming no-one is aware of you is a good start, being lit up like a christmas tree even in daylight is a good idea. Being 'aggressive' in your road position and speed is a must. Passing lines of traffic is rather satisfying. Using other vehicles to protect you on roundabouts etc works well. All that said I do feel more vulnerable now in traffic than I did as a kid, not sure if it is me getting older or driver attitudes getting worse or a bit of both.

As well as the definitive way to kill a dog which is attacking you whilst riding along, Ballantine's legendary bicycling book has a great section on biking safely in traffic, old but still relevant.

[Like most cyclists, I also drive, which also seems to get forgotten]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal