UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 482239 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
And people accuse me of trolling, posting that video shirely has to be a troll?

dave

Chalk ball minister at burb North!!

Oh my word.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
No need to ever chalk footholds... Just dry 'em off with a rag.  As for the video... Can I have twelve minutes of my life back please?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Who the fuck was still watching that video after ten minutes? Christ.

:lol: well quite. Although it was a particular highlight coating the arete in chalk and then not using that bit on the first attempt.

I know a strong F7c climber who insists on tickmarking footholds with the tick right ON the foothold. Didn't manage to persuade them otherwise.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'm not sure why people are complaining about having to watch this film. It's the best thing ever.

Only by the fifth viewing can you truly contemplate the question, "Why the fuck was this made?".

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Can I have twelve minutes of my life back please?

Well done for persevering. I gave up in the first minute.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
I lasted a few minutes before I gave up and asked. To be fair the lad is obviously inexperienced (but keen) and he is far from the worst user of chalk I've seen in the Burb valley (any donkey marks at all on show?.... and don't start me on the muppets I've had to ask to stop wirebrushing there on problems that probably last saw lichen in the 80's): all too often it's experienced folks who should know about this stuff. Education is the key and the BMC, the mags, and all the guidebooks could still do better.

i.munro

• junky
No need to ever chalk footholds... Just dry 'em off with a rag.  As for the video... Can I have twelve minutes of my life back please?

:agree:

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Get a better broadband package then you can scroll through :smartass:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Look at me I've got a big package!

:smartass:

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Look at me I've got a big package!

:smartass:

I think it's a bit unfair to take my quote from the 'show us ya wanger' thread and use it against me here

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Heavy and highly localised drifting on the left-hand boulder.

dave

Absolutely shameful display of punter chalking on nicotine stain and the arete to its left last night, thick chalk, daubed all over footholds, massive amounts on ledges low down, loose chalk all over the floor, and yet not a speck of chalk above 8 foot off the deck.

standard

• obsessive maniac

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
1 min "cattivo " ie naughty boy. Got that right, that's a mess.

I cannot understand why people can't see what's in front of their face - including the beauty of the place they're in :shrug:

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac

I love it when people put tick marks that are 90% useless, from below going to those holds you can't even see the whole line...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I don't know why I let this wind me up so much but it does. Tick marks of that size are completely unacceptable, especially when on more than one occasion he manages to miss the hold and has to re-position his hand slightly. Learn the problem, learn where the holds are and just get on with it.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
I don't know why I let this wind me up so much but it does. Tick marks of that size are completely unacceptable, especially when on more than one occasion he manages to miss the hold and has to re-position his hand slightly. Learn the problem, learn where the holds are and just get on with it.

I don't think you should, why does it matter when:
1) he may well clean them off when he is finished
2) it looks like the ticks will get washed off in the rain

I am sure the guy who has just climbed 8B (?+) will appreciate the last bit of advice though.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Not the most beautiful place in the world I'd admit, but Woodhouse Scar was in a terrible state on Tuesday night, stuff coated in chalk that wasn't there on the previous Friday for sure. Ludicrous tickmarks on every hold of the Ian's Traverse cave lip, and it looked like someone had emptied an entire bag of chalk all over the 7c and 7b right of Radium Arete.

I cleaned off what I could but it was seriously OTT...the stuff on the Radium Arete boulder would be marginal in freezing connies, why are people even bothering in this weather, let alone spaffing chalk all over the thing?!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I think 13th April is the opening day of the spaffing season

a dense loner

• forum hero
I think the realist has been given 8a(+) by the last few ascentionists Tim, but your point is still valid  ;)

i.munro

• junky

why does it matter when:

1) No he won't because it can't be done without a jet wash.
2) No they won't, they don't wash off & even if they did, given your attitude, the moment it stops raining some other knob will just put them back.

tim palmer

• forum abuser

why does it matter when:

1) No he won't because it can't be done without a jet wash.
2) No they won't, they don't wash off & even if they did, given your attitude, the moment it stops raining some other knob will just put them back.

Wow that was very vitriolic.  Tick marks do brush off (yes I have brushed old tick marks off rock) and they do wash off in the rain (think about it, chalk is basic and rain is weakly acidic).

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 :agree:
Water on a toothbrush will remove tick marks completely.
It is perhaps a good idea if folk show marks being brushed off on their vids or put a text caption on to that effect.
There's two things here. Using tick marks and leaving tick marks when you finish. The latter is an issue, the former is a non-issue. You can laugh/ knock style points off folk for using them certainly, like you would for someone wearing orange trousers for instance, but there’s really no need to be starting pogroms about it.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Admittedly, I've never climbed 8b, or 8a for that matter, and never will. My primary displeasure derives from the need to reduce what are (sometimes in some cases aesthetically beautiful) lines to something nearer to the local bouldering wall.

I am probably living in a bygone era in that respect, and I do realise that its easy enough to brush them off at the end of a session (though how many people genuinely do based on how often I still encounter them at a deserted crag), but its something that visually I don't care much for. One could probably say the same about chalk full stop but don't think that debate is necessary

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal