UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 486268 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Excessive but who cares so long as he rubs them off after.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
The proposition is that tick marks are a problem per se as very few people rub them off, hence the number of images on this thread.

dave

Excessive but who cares so long as he rubs them off after.

If every video or photo representation of tickmarks was accompanied with a photo or video showing someone dutifully cleaning them off afterwards, then maybe "who cares" would be justified. As it is, nobody does, so photos and videos showing tickmarks by nature set a bad example and serve to further popularise them.

i.munro

• junky
If the sandstone there is like any of the sandstones I've climbed on then they simply can't be removed with a brush even using water.  Guess it'd be nice to see an example set by seeing the attempt made.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
What about using a grey chalk that was difficult to see?

That way it wouldn't really matter if people didn't remove them afterwards...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
If the sandstone there is like any of the sandstones I've climbed on then they simply can't be removed with a brush even using water.  Guess it'd be nice to see an example set by seeing the attempt made.

Even on granite it is a bitch to remove tickmarks with a brush and water.

i.munro

• junky
Hmm with all this talk of brushing I'd assumed there were some rock types where this actually worked.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

Could this be the new "Driving to crag".

i.munro

• junky
I don't know what else people might want yer publicity hungry climber to do to keep his video off this thread.

A standard disclaimer ? " No tickmarks were added in the filming of this video. Any visible marks are the work of knob or knobs unknown and remain despite Mr I.Amagiantwad and team's best efforts at removal"

Eddies

• forum hero
Chalk ball minister at burb North!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
So many crimes in that video!

Is that a tag on his ankle btw?

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
wow that's a lot of chalk ballage.
Is there a significance to chalking footholds on grit or is it as stupid as it looks? I know sometimes on really polished lime it can help to have a bit of chalk on there but I thought it didnt help on the grit?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Is there a significance to chalking footholds on grit or is it as stupid as it looks? I know sometimes on really polished lime it can help to have a bit of chalk on there but I thought it didnt help on the grit?

Its a long film can someone give the time(s) of the crime.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

Its a long film can someone give the time(s) of the crime.

10:15 and 10:50. There might be instances more but I really don't have the inclination to search for them.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Chalkbag attached with biner to loop of trousers on one side...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Unnecessary dynamic moves on 2A ground.....

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Chalkbag attached with biner to loop of trousers on one side...

Reminds me of the larger lady I once saw at a climbing wall with one on each side due to reach issues.

mr chaz

• obsessive maniac
wow, 10-11 mins  :o

:spank:

i.munro

• junky
? I know sometimes on really polished lime it can help to have a bit of chalk on there

I'd be very interested to know if this is a commonly held opinion and what mechanism people think might be involved?

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
Very smooth limestone is prone to condensation, so can feel slippy if the rock is dry but the air is at all humid. Chalking and brushing will mop up some of the condensation leaving the foothold temporarily drier and feeling stickier?

Only ever done this on polished, water-worn limestone right next to a river (Dinas Rock) where it definitely made a difference but I'd imagine it might apply in other condensation-prone limestone venues like Raven Tor or Parisella's.

andy_e

• forum hero
Given chalk is used as a lubricant in industry, the only thing I can see chalking a limestone foothold might do is to polish it further...

galpinos

• forum hero
Given chalk is used as a lubricant in industry, the only thing I can see chalking a limestone foothold might do is to polish it further...

Is that not magnesium silicate as opposed to magnesium carbonate which we use?

i.munro

• junky
Doesn't preclude the mechanism in coops post from working work, assuming that it's possible to  brush off all the chalk.

andy_e

• forum hero
Ah, no idea. I'm pretty sure I read carbonates in general were used but can't remember where...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Who the fuck was still watching that video after ten minutes? Christ.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal