UKBouldering.com

Mother's Ruin (Read 50036 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#25 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 27, 2011, 11:39:50 pm
That's the idea Jas ...

For the Mother in Law - Gordons

My parents must have been drinking gin for nearly 50 years and still only ever buy Gordons, what's more they've taken to buying supermarket own brand tonic (slimline) and they don't even put it in the fridge = bland, warmish progressively diluted GnT.

Chris, I leave it in the freezer permanently. Obviously doesn't freeze but does get a nice oily viscosity and does away with the need for ice and is essential for a good Martini. But if someone tells me I'm ruining the flavour then I'll change my ways

I find leaving it in the freezer dulls the flavour a bit, but maybe that's just me.

Our G&Ts are usually Tanqueray Export or Plymouth, Schwepps in mini cans kept in the fridge (warm tonic or tonic out of a big bottle being the easiest ways to mess it up) with lemon and lime. Strong rather than long. Fever Tree tonic if we remember to keep some in stock.

House Martini is a Tanqueray Gibson. Occasionally Plymouth Navy Strength, Tanqueray 10 or Tanqueray Special. On very special occasions, Junipero (which is my favourite).

G&Ts largely halt through the summer in our house, when they're replaced with a Negroni for me and an Americano for Jess.

Alas, all boozing ceased over a month ago and abstinence will continue (in the interests of discipline and getting new business off the ground) well into 2012.  I haven't decided what drink to break the spell - perhaps the Vesper Martini serve at the Library Bar...

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 28, 2011, 06:21:04 pm
My favourite tonic is Nordic Mist, I admit to not trying that may though.

Where do you buy it from?

The Sipsmiths was opened over the last few days; a big disapointment (espeically given the price). Hendricks and Rangpur are still the firm favourites and it didn't seem overly different to Gordons if I'm honest.

Red

• addict
#27 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 29, 2011, 07:40:37 pm

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#28 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 29, 2011, 07:49:55 pm
having had 5 G&T yesterday night, I find this topic interesting. the one I had at Paul's house was truly excellent, I had never tried it with cucumber (which I don't eat), it was amazing.
here it's difficult to find really good gin. I usually have Bombay and Tanqueray (not together).
my favourite one is Martini Cocktail, super dry, with a lemon twist instead of the olive.
otherwise if they have lime, sometimes a Gimlet.
the other night I found out a very good restaurant here has Hendrick's. it's excellent but otherwise impossible to find.
need to buy some when I come over.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#29 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 29, 2011, 09:54:33 pm
All I've got in is Gordon's, and, well I chucked it in the freezer. It partially froze. The tonic is a bit flat. Could it be worse?

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 29, 2011, 10:46:15 pm

Ok Nibs a deal; you visit and bring me more Aperol (some point preferably before summer) and I'll pop over to Italy and bring Gin (any time as it seems only to rain here)?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#31 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 29, 2011, 11:55:10 pm
sounds like the Gin Palace  is alive and well.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#32 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 09:23:02 am
not a gin aficianado but i noticed the new look broady has a largish selection of gin with some of the above mentioned i think. might be a good place to sample some before committing to a bottle?

biscuit

• menacing presence
#33 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 12:00:43 pm
Mrs Biscuit is a gin expert and insists on:

Gin in fridge ( tanqueray was her favourite in UK, she like Larios here in Spain)

Tonic in small/bottles cans so it's always fizzy, also in fridge.

Genius idea alert  - ice cubes made of tonic so no pesky water gets in and dilutes the flavours.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

biscuit

• menacing presence
#35 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 12:27:25 pm
So......G&T is actually a medicine  :clap2:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 12:37:48 pm
Not really these days, the quinine content is considerably lower.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#37 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 03:10:44 pm
Genius idea alert  - ice cubes made of tonic so no pesky water gets in and dilutes the flavours.

Great tip, just tried this.  Might be obvious to some but (it wasn't to me) don't overfill the tray as the tonic expands quite a lot.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#38 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 03:14:03 pm
Not really these days, the quinine content is considerably lower.

Now you've gone and spoilt it  :spank:

fried

• forum hero
#39 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 03:51:57 pm
I hate gin and tonic, but at least this thread has made me want to watch 'Mr Jolly lives next door' again.

biscuit

• menacing presence
#40 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 07:04:11 pm
I thought this might be a boulder problem on Mother's Cap or some-such. However. Not being a fan of gin I've not got much to add, apart from if you're ever in Granada there's a bar near the university that just does gin, with menus allowing you to pick n' mix all sorts of flavourings and combinations (and tonics to keep FD happy) till you can't see to read any more (about 3am usually).

More information needed please ! We're only just over an hour away from Granada. Sounds worth a visit.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#41 Re: Mother's Ruin
December 30, 2011, 09:42:05 pm

Ok Nibs a deal; you visit and bring me more Aperol (some point preferably before summer) and I'll pop over to Italy and bring Gin (any time as it seems only to rain here)?
gone.

Paul B

• forum hero
#42 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 01, 2012, 12:45:22 pm
not a gin aficianado but i noticed the new look broady has a largish selection of gin with some of the above mentioned i think. might be a good place to sample some before committing to a bottle?

Fantastic idea. Unfortunately last night they'd run out of most gins by 9 and tonic by 10! Pissup - brewery/pub?

It was a travesty having to switch to sampling the huge array of whisky instead... :alky:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#43 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 05, 2012, 06:29:57 pm
recently rediscovered the pleasure of a Perfect Martini after many years after one particular night... it is very good and a nice change from the usual Martini Cocktail.

Duma

• forum hero
#44 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 05, 2012, 08:35:22 pm
Plymouth is ~£14 in Waitrose at the moment.

hic.

andy popp

• forum hero
#45 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 05, 2012, 08:44:48 pm
Nice! (for you southern softies  :whistle: )

Duma

• forum hero
#46 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 05, 2012, 08:54:36 pm
Indeed. Though I'm not doing it justice as last summer's Elderflower Champagne wasn't really up to scratch (recipe here (sadly defunct thread)). Whilst bemoaning this and the fact that there's no Vermouth in the house, I found the Noel Coward quote re. the perfect Martini :- "fill a glass with gin, and wave it in the general direction of Italy". I like my Martini wet and dirty, but it's still a great line.

andy popp

• forum hero
#47 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 05, 2012, 09:39:59 pm
Reminds me, apparently Churchill's recipte for a Martini was; place jug of gin on sideboard, let sun fall on it though a bottle of Vermouth.

TonyS

• regular
#48 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 05, 2012, 10:52:11 pm
Hi all,

Had a trip around Scotland last September taking in a few nice places to eat and drink.

Came across "The Botanist Islay Dry Gin / (Bruichladdich)" whilst having a meal out in a great little bistro on the isle of Gigha.

A wonderful smooth tipple how ever you take it.  I highly recommend it, though not cheap.

Its made on Isaly but not the usual dram you will find from this island.

Can be purchased or seen here "http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-13847.aspx"

If you try I hope you like it I know myself and the wife does.  3 bottles since October!!! Erm maybe alcoholics

andy popp

• forum hero
#49 Re: Mother's Ruin
January 08, 2012, 07:47:06 pm
Seems like Scotland's the place for interesting gin. I guess it must be because its already packed with distelleries and distilling knowledge.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal